By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The advantages of a gaming console over a gaming PC

For me consoles have the greatest advantage when it comes to price, unless someone can tell me if they could build a PC excluding the monitor for 250 dollars* which can play most recent games such as destiny on low. *This is the highest price for which one can buy a ps3 .

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network
SubiyaCryolite said:

Phronesis said:
I kinda like PCs but I hate PC elitists. They are a pain in the ass to say the least. Yesterday I was talking about TLOU framerate when a PC gamer came to say 'It would play better on PC'. O RLY, and Zelda would play better on PS4, but nobody is stupid enough to say this. He just kept going on and on about how the PC is more powerful, have mods, emulations and blablala (Agree, I find thgis annoying too, no one should force their preferences on others). 

No, really, why do people have to be so stupid? They can't just be happy about their choice they need to say to the world how amazing they are. What's even the point of having an advanced hardware if you can't play Bayonetta, Final Fantasy XIII (I like it despite he hate on internet), The Last of Us, Metal Gear Solid etc etc etc. Of course, I can't play WoW, DOTA or LOL, but I don't like these games (Choice, Id rather play the most superior version of a game. Exclusives are a good selling point and thats why I pan on getting a PS4 (already own a Wii U) however I wont buy anygame that has a PC port on PS4 (or Wii U lol) because the PC version will be better and cheaper by default. Assuming its not handled lazily or with haste)

There's a reason that some PC gamers can't understand too. We don't feel the need of change simply because we already have everything we need. No, really. Injustice and other games are 70% off on PS Store right now (Steam and retail PC games on Amazon are usually cheaper. Injustice and all its DLC a was like $7 a few weeks ago). We never have compatiility issues on consoles, but I need to buy a new PC to enjoy new games simply because hardware advanced so much that my graphic card can't handle them anymore (False information, unless you always buy low end parts every 6 months you wont have to upgrade your PC more than twice in a single console generation. If you do its simply because yu want to, not out of necssity. As it stands I dont expect my 7870/8350 combo to cause any problems for the next 2 to 3 years and by then 5 to 6 Teraflop cards will be dirt cheap/affordable).

And is so simply to own a console. They release beautiful games for PS3 in HD definition, and it only has 128MB of ram (512). With 128MB on a PC, you barely run the OS (3GB of RAM is reserved for the PS4 and X1s OS, thats MUCH worse than Windows 7 or 8 on idle). So... eventually I will buy a new PC, but right now I don't need it. (Be sure to do a bit of research and ask around before buying parts so that you dont have to upgrade sooner than expected)

I agree with all your quotes. I plan to buy a Pc not exactly because of the graphics, I think console graphics are beautiful already, but Steam has promotions with more frequency and the games are cheaper, also I use PC for work. But I won't abandon my PS4 for the same reason you plan to buy one: exclusive games. And I plan to have a Wii U as well because I can't control myself: I gotta play every nice game on the market.

And I'll study hard to buy a nice PC this time because I had problems with mine, then had to change the graphic card, and now I would need to change so many things that buying other PC is mandatory. So I disagree that PCs are just as simple as consoles because my PS2 still works, but my PC... RIP. Maybe I'll change my opinion with my new PC, dunno.

3DS, Wii, PSP, Vita, PS2, PS3, PS4 & Steam.

BlackyCat said:
okr said:
It's interesting how people always forget about games when it comes to this kind of discussion.

You can't play Civilization IV or V, Anno 1404 or 1701 or 2070, Total War: Shogun or Rome 2, Divinity: Original Sin, King's Bounty, Might & Magic, Age of Wonders 3, League of Legends, Deponia 1-3, Guild Wars 2, Star Wars: TOR, TLotR Online, DOTA 2 and many others on console.

I personally find console exclusives much more intersting than pc exclusive.. and games are the only reason why i buy a console. You can't play fire emblem awakening or demon's souls on your pc. You miss a lot of great game if you only play on pc.

So basically it depends on what games you prefer.Incredible.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
"The advantages of gaming consoles"....
Huh... I never knew there were consoles not ment for gaming lolll

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console

Conina said:

Perhaps you should read it. The article ain't that black and white as you think.

"However, things are changing. Each new console comes out with a plethora of new features, all of which move it closer and closer to a PC. Watching the reveals for the PS4 and XB1 made me think they could have combined both and call the show “Shit you can already do better on PC.”"

Both consoles and PCs have their advantages and disadvantages, and they are growing closer together each console generation while both advantages and disadvantages shrink.

And comparing people who prefer PCs over consoles for gaming to "rabid, legless ocelot"? Really? Great way to start a discussion!

PC advantages this time are bigger than they have ever been at the start of a generation. 

Consoles tend to be cheaper, and they take less time to put together and have more AAA exclusives. That's it.
PC's tend to have better graphics, are upgradable, and allow for mods. Summary. End of debate. Neither solution is better than the other, it's just a matter of preference. I like both options, so I game on both.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
nah consoles are becoming more and more like PCs. I would agree consoles of old were much simpler and plug and play.

Now consoles have patches, updates and full installs. It is getting to a stage where it is easier to manage all your patches and updates on a pc. Try managing those on a console. Or getting them again later when gen moves on to next or its taken down after a few years.

I have consoles and a gaming PC, and I wont say which is better because I pretty much rotate which games I play on which but console are definitly "less work".

Yes back in the day it was easier you pop in the cart and go. Now you pop in the disk wait a few min for install, than a few more (depending on connection speed of course) for the patch, console installs patch sometimes restarts then your good.

PC you have to do ALL of that, then you have to deal with downloadeding a driver for your video card because the game has issues supporting crossfire, then there is bugs that cause things to just crash (happens on consoles too, but mostly rare). Not to mention virus (which I have never gotten on a console).

So basically is game to game, Skyrim is the best example I can use because I had it for PS3 then traded than in and got the PC version, that specific game was 10x better on PC(MODS!, better graphics, no load times, and the list when on)

Battlefield 4 is an opposite example, hated it on PC. Much better on PS4 IMO.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

bigjon said:
Cobretti2 said:
nah consoles are becoming more and more like PCs. I would agree consoles of old were much simpler and plug and play.

Now consoles have patches, updates and full installs. It is getting to a stage where it is easier to manage all your patches and updates on a pc. Try managing those on a console. Or getting them again later when gen moves on to next or its taken down after a few years.

I have consoles and a gaming PC, and I wont say which is better because I pretty much rotate which games I play on which but console are definitly "less work".

Yes back in the day it was easier you pop in the cart and go. Now you pop in the disk wait a few min for install, than a few more (depending on connection speed of course) for the patch, console installs patch sometimes restarts then your good.

PC you have to do ALL of that, then you have to deal with downloadeding a driver for your video card because the game has issues supporting crossfire, then there is bugs that cause things to just crash (happens on consoles too, but mostly rare). Not to mention virus (which I have never gotten on a console).

So basically is game to game, Skyrim is the best example I can use because I had it for PS3 then traded than in and got the PC version, that specific game was 10x better on PC(MODS!, better graphics, no load times, and the list when on)

Back in my younger days that was the same on pc. Bootable 5.25" floppy disks, pop in KQ1, start pc and go. The trouble started with windows, soundcards, then gpus. It's much better now, the early days of DirectX, what a nightmare. Virusses have been there all along however, boot sector virus ugh.

PC is the king of free online.
Seriously you can still play Diablo 1 free online on the original Bnet and thats 18 years old.

bigjon said:
Cobretti2 said:

SKyrim is the perfect example of a PS3 game that would be unplayable (at least for me) without the patches. Imaging trying to play skyrim 10 years from nwo when you can't get the patches. That is why I personally feel the way gaming has gone the extra pain of PCs almost outweight the ability not to save your patches.

It be a simple fix for consoles. just give users more freedom to backp their downloads to external and all is well.

Am I the only one that thinks Nintendo is going to be the last console maker standing in the end? It just seems to be the natural conclusion to things. Sony and Microsoft are trying to emulate PCs year after year with more power and media features, while the Nintendo consoles have stopped that direction and, instead of chasing power that will never match a PC, have turned to the innovative side of things.

Say what you want about the Wii U, but at least it's not just aping a PC. Nintendo used much weaker hardware but have put out good looking and smooth running games, and as of E3 they've shown us stuff you just can't do on other consoles.