By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion Thread: Overrated RPGs?

the_dengle said:
I love Xenoblade, it's one of my favorite games from last gen. I absolutely adore everything about it.

But I bury my head in my hands whenever I see someone calling it the BEST (J)RPG EVER. The game has flaws. It's far from perfect.

I'm gonna say, I love Xenoblade, I love it to death, one of my favorite games of all time. But In my humble opinion, here's my top favorite JRPGs.

1. Paper Mario TTYD

2. Chrono Trigger

3. Tales of Symphonia

4. Xenoblade Chronicles

5. Final Fantasy 6

Around the Network

IMO FF7 is the most overrated RPG (and possibly game) of all time.

Earthbound only gets love on the internet, the average game probably won't know what it is

Most overrated? FFVII and Skyrim.

Pokemon, Final Fantasy (any of them), Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Kingdom Hearts, Fable (any of them) im sure theres more.

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Around the Network

Final Fantasy X. The battle system was pretty good, but the boss battles were way too tedious and pretty much required you to have a certain character use a certain move to win, or else its impossible, unless grind for hours and hours. Also the Sphere Grid was stupid, and it just felt like it was trying to be different for the sake of being different. The story wasn't very good, mainly because the characters were either annoying or forgettable. It also didn't help that they didn't even try with the lip syncing and the character movements were awkward and robotic. While I think alot of overrated games are still good, just overrated, I honestly hate this game and its my least favorite FF by far. 

The only redeeming thing is it's soundtrack, which is honestly one of the best I've ever heard. 

Also, I feel Tales of Symphonia is slightly overrated. It's a great game, but I thinik Vespiria and Abyss were miles better.

I don't think Radiant Dawn can be considered overrated, it scored less than its gamecube prequel (only got a 78 on metacritic). I feel that the game should at least average above an 8/10 to be described as overrated.

But overall I can't think of any rpgs that are overrated, i tend to enjoy all rpgs even the poorly rated ones

The entire Kingdom Hearts franchise.

Skyrim is terribly overrated. It's average, and quite shitty most of the time.

Final Fantasy VI. Not the best game in the series like everyone makes it out to be, imo. Too many characters, no definitive lead to drive story, and convoluted in many parts. Still a good game, just not the best.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC