By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Games vs Video vs Music vs Books

jlmurph2 said:
LemonSlice said:
jlmurph2 said:
LemonSlice said:
Wait? Physical books rose 19% and digital books fell 9.4%? Hell yeah!

It says physical books 2 times. Which one is digital?

On the pie chart digital books is in red, as in "decreased market share".

Then why aren't Physical games, movies, and digital music in red in the chart.

Either I'm stupid... no, I AM stupid, and these are really badly made charts.

Around the Network

It would be nice if they split out digital video into purchases and rentals too. The physical rental market is disappearing, but how many people switch to (legally) collecting digital movies.

Are all those books just for entertainment, no professional and college literature? It seems pretty high. I read a decent amount a year, but still watch far more movies and play far more game a year. Takes me a couple of weeks to read a book, 2 hours to watch a movie. I guess including children's books (and comics?) it adds up, not the 1000 page fantasy novels I tend to read.

Burek said:

I think the bar chart has a mistake, shouldn't that increase be in digital books?
Also doubt that only 4% play games. Who is then playing all those Candy Crush/Temple Run/2048 games?

EDIT: And 33% read books? I'm sure that more people hasn't seen a book in years, let alone read it.

Or maybe I'm just reading the numbers wrong.

I guess there are a lot of book readers in the UK.  I for sure fall in the category of people that haven't seen a book in years. 

Chris Hu said:
Burek said:

I think the bar chart has a mistake, shouldn't that increase be in digital books?
Also doubt that only 4% play games. Who is then playing all those Candy Crush/Temple Run/2048 games?

EDIT: And 33% read books? I'm sure that more people hasn't seen a book in years, let alone read it.

I guess there are a lot of book readers in the UK. 

Could it be because of the rain? :))

I had to look up "book" on my tablet to remember what it looks like. Then I remembered I've seen it on TV a couple of times. 

Why read books? If they are any good, they'll make a movie soon.

Burek said:
Chris Hu said:
Burek said:

I had to look up "book" on my tablet to remember what it looks like. Then I remembered I've seen it on TV a couple of times. 

Agree for the most part if I really want to know what a book is about I just read the summary on wikipedia.

Around the Network

I hope digital is the future. I don't want physical completely gone, but digital is much more convinient and cheaper in the long-run, and the ability to have all my purchases linked to an account to access from any device is a godsend.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Burek said:
Chris Hu said:
Burek said:

You're missing out on some great storys then. You won't see masterpiece fantasy like Robin Hobb and Patrick Rothfus come to TV anytime soon, but those are some of the best books I've ever read.

VanceIX said:
Burek said:

You're missing out on some great storys then. You won't see masterpiece fantasy like Robin Hobb and Patrick Rothfus come to TV anytime soon, but those are some of the best books I've ever read.

Of course, I was joking.

But I don't like fantasy anyway, so I've never even heard of those people. And to end on a joke again -- those guys must not be that good if nobody is filming them.

Burek said:
VanceIX said:
Burek said:

Of course, I was joking.

But I don't like fantasy anyway, so I've never even heard of those people. And to end on a joke again -- those guys must not be that good if nobody is filming them.

Ah, gotcha, sorry for the mistake.

Yeah, fantasy isn't for everyone, just my favorite genre and the one I know best

Oddly enough I rent more films, shows or games now than I did a decade ago, mainly to keep amount of space I have for the stuff down. I have rarely ever downloaded a film or show, and games when it is my only option or is much much cheaper.