By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can I buy a second MK8 for a free DL game?

Has anyone tried registering two or more Mario Kart 8 games just for the free downloadable games and then return the extra MK8 copies? I'm missing out on Wind Waker HD so I'm planning to buy MK8 for its code and then return it the next day with some lame excuse like it didn't run on my Wii U. 

Here's the detail on the promotion:

Buy and register:

1. Join Club Nintendo

2. Buy Mario Kart 8 and register it with Club Nintendo by 7/31/14: If you buy the packaged version, find the Club Nintendo insert inside, and then enter the registration code on the Club Nintendo website If you buy the game from Nintendo eShop, link your Wii U console to your Club Nintendo account prior to buying the game to qualify for this offer If you buy the Mario Kart 8 Wii U Deluxe Set, simply link your Wii U console to your Club Nintendo account to register the game* *If you register through a linked account, the purchase may take up to a full day to appear on your Club Nintendo account Choose your free game

Choose your free game:

1. Log in to your Club Nintendo account

2. Click "Select Your Free Game" in your To-Do list

3. Choose the game you want 4. Get the download code *Make sure you claim your free game on the Club Nintendo site before 8/31/14 Download your free game!

Download your free game!:

1. Connect to the Internet on your Wii U and go to Nintendo eShop

2. Select "Enter Download Code" at the top of the screen

3. Download your game and enjoy* *Remember: the code expires after 9/30/14, so be sure to download your game from Nintendo eShop before that date

from http://club2.nintendo.com/mario-kart8-promo/

Thanks for the help!

Edit: The only way I think they can prevent this if they ask you to register a different Wii U each time. But I could always return a Wii U and MK8 for a free 50$ game lol

Around the Network

You need a second Club Nintendo account and register the game there.

Just make a second account and register the game there. It's not tied to the console so it doesn't matter. Used my friends that way!

So it does work? Awesome! I know what to do this week

t3mporary_126 said:

then return it the next day with some lame excuse like it didn't run on my Wii U. 

So you're basically admitting that you're stealing.  No different than piracy.

Btw, the rule on games and movies.  If you purchase a copy and then return it opened, they can only swap it out with the same game. 

Around the Network

or buy the "free dl" game as Physical for the same price of MK8/cheaper.

That's sort of a dick move...

kupomogli said:
t3mporary_126 said:

then return it the next day with some lame excuse like it didn't run on my Wii U. 

So you're basically admitting that you're stealing.  No different than piracy.

Btw, the rule on games and movies.  If you purchase a copy and then return it opened, they can only swap it out with the same game. 

Thanks, I didn't know I might have to swap games. I will make sure to ask.

And yes it's like stealing but at least with no legal consequences or copyright infringements. 

t3mporary_126 said:

Thanks, I didn't know I might have to swap games. I will make sure to ask.

And yes it's like stealing but at least with no legal consequences or copyright infringements. 

Stealing is stealing.  If someone else purchases the game within the time frame available to get the free digital game, then they've lost out because of some thief who returned an already used product.

My first reaction: This is why we cant have good things.

My second reaction: I wish Sony did this, I'd take every game they offered for free on different accounts and then sell the copies of the game.