By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the ending of the Mario Kart 8 bonus game deal affect sales?

I bet most people don't even know about it

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

Will it affect sales? Yes.

But I don't think we'll see the effect. I expect that Nintendo has another promotion lined up to follow the MK8 one. Perhaps something along the lines of "Buy Wii Sports Club, get Mario Kart 8 or for free". Or maybe a bundle that has Wii Sports Club preinstalled and a download code for a game of your choice (with MK8 being the lead example of possible games).

Then again, maybe they'll run a campaign focused on certain third party titles, instead. I'm not sure.

Aielyn said:

But I don't think we'll see the effect. I expect that Nintendo has another promotion lined up to follow the MK8 one. Perhaps something along the lines of "Buy Wii Sports Club, get Mario Kart 8 or for free". Or maybe a bundle that has Wii Sports Club preinstalled and a download code for a game of your choice (with MK8 being the lead example of possible games).

Then again, maybe they'll run a campaign focused on certain third party titles, instead. I'm not sure.

Theyre not giving away MK8 for free. No chance.

If Nintendo was smart, they would offer a similar deal on all their big games. Honestly, it is the only reason I even bought mario kart (not a fan of mario kart, but I was interested in pikmin 3)

KLXVER said:
Aielyn said:

Theyre not giving away MK8 for free. No chance.

See the post directly below yours. Also, keep in mind that a deal like the one I said, with Mario Kart 8 as an option with Wii Sports Club, gives people choice. Those who already bought Mario Kart 8 won't buy it again, but those who weren't won over by MK8 with that deal might get MK8 alongside WSC as a deal.

Around the Network
Aielyn said:

See the post directly below yours. Also, keep in mind that a deal like the one I said, with Mario Kart 8 as an option with Wii Sports Club, gives people choice. Those who already bought Mario Kart 8 won't buy it again, but those who weren't won over by MK8 with that deal might get MK8 alongside WSC as a deal.

I just dont see it happening. I mean Mario 3D Land and Tropical Freeze wasnt in the MK8 promotion.

highwayuni said:

I was just thinking to myself that every time I go into a GAME shop, they always highlight the fact that you get a free game whevever you buy Mario Kart 8. It's a great deal and if I had the money I would buy a Wii U today with Mario Kart 8 just to take advantage of the offer.

The offer ends next Thursday, so do you think that this will affect the Wii U  and Mario Kart 8 sales? 

Where I am from there is nothing saying you get a free game with MK8. At least where I am from I don't think i will chance much. It is still MK8, the extra game is just a bonus. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

It will because I think the promotion motivated a lot of eventual buyers to get a Wii U sooner rather than later.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

burninmylight said:
MoHasanie said:
I don't think so. I doubt that most people bought Mario Kart 8 to take advantage of the free game.

I'd imagine that there is a significant number of people that don't even know about the offer. They cancel out the folks who buy the game, register a new Club Nintendo account and the copy of the game for the free downloadable game, and then return MK8 to the store.

Wait, does buying another MK8 new give me another downloadable game??? I may just get WWHD out of it and return it..

Probably by nothing significant if it does.