By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - TLOU Dev Fires Back At Those Who Feel $50 Is Too Much For PS4 Version “It’s a Steal”

BillyBong said:

well.. i get what you are trying to say.. but at the same time, those that you lable as "no", could very well be "no" because of pricing point.  The double dip market only works when people see enough value in the product to buy it again.  Those that do choose to double dip and would buy @$50 I assume makes up a smaller number than those that would double dip and buy at a lower price point.  how much?  it's all speculation. but it seems enough people last gen are interested in the remastered.. just who will take the additional $50 plunge on top of what they already paid for previously on the game?   Not many will go and repurchase a 1yo game they already have, even if it means being able to play it on new gen.   At a lower price point tho, those double dippers at 'maybe' could definitely end up being 'yes' because the incentive and the value is there.  And those double dippers at 'yes' would be at yes regardless. 

for myself, it's hard to see the 'value' of the the game @ another $50 if you already have it on the ps3.  $50 for what technically?  1080/60 vs 720/30?  content is literally the same. 

like i've said.. i think $50 is awesome for those that never played/bought the game.. but $50 for those that already bought the game last year.. there's no incentive.  better graphic fidelity & included DLC just don't justify a repurchase at $50, especially if you already own all the content.  we'll see how this all plays out when the game drops.  I'm most interested in the double dippers that are willing to buy the game again.  i personally predict double dippers will make up less than 10% (optimistic) of total remastered sales..

That's just it. We don't know what their internal numbers came out with.  We can simply assume. We don't know the motivations of the double dip buyer  but chances are, it is far more varied than simply "percieved value". Targeting a niche within a niche with a promotion that may or may not even have the desired effect you want is both risky and needless costly. Also, price point No's are VERY difficult to affect using a promo as this would normally mean taking a bigger hit than what is simply allowed within a promotional offering.

Thing is, if a promotion was worth it, they'd no doubt run it (cause it will make them more money).  Chances are, they either ran a study like this (or more likely) already had empirical data/enough experience wherein they can simply approximate what would happen immediately. They probably simply determined that it was not worth running the promotion.

And I also highly doubt the double dipper market is anywhere within 10% of the total sales.  I mean, think about it this way: How many people do you know would play a game more than once (many simply finish a game then move on)?  And then, of these people, how many do you know would still come back or keep playing a game after almost a year?  And then, of those people, how many would actually pay over 20,30,40 USD to keep playing something they already own? And then of these people, how many already own a PS4? And then, of those people, how many do you think would like TLOU?  And then of those people, how many are not busy playing a different game or saving to buy a different game that's coming out soon? Shrink shrink shrink shrink goes the actual market.  I'd say the double dip is mostly resevered for hardcore gaming enthusiasts.  The vast majority of the double dip TLOU sales (from casuals) would contribute very little to the actual sales of the remastered version.

And then (to further prove my point), of those people above, how many do you think would care about a measely 5-10USD in order to decide on their purchase?

Around the Network
DrDoomz said:

That's just it. We don't know what their internal numbers came out with.  We can simply assume. We don't know the motivations of the double dip buyer  but chances are, it is far more varied than simply "percieved value". Targeting a niche within a niche with a promotion that may or may not even have the desired effect you want is both risky and needless costly. Also, price point No's are VERY difficult to affect using a promo as this would normally mean taking a bigger hit than what is simply allowed within a promotional offering.

Thing is, if a promotion was worth it, they'd no doubt run it (cause it will make them more money).  Chances are, they either ran a study like this (or more likely) already had empirical data/enough experience wherein they can simply approximate what would happen immediately. They probably simply determined that it was not worth running the promotion.

And I also highly doubt the double dipper market is anywhere within 10% of the total sales.  I mean, think about it this way: How many people do you know would play a game more than once (many simply finish a game then move on)?  And then, of these people, how many do you know would still come back or keep playing a game after almost a year?  And then, of those people, how many would actually pay over 20,30,40 USD to keep playing something they already own? And then of these people, how many already own a PS4? And then, of those people, how many do you think would like TLOU?  And then of those people, how many are not busy playing a different game or saving to buy a different game that's coming out soon? Shrink shrink shrink shrink goes the actual market.  I'd say the double dip is mostly resevered for hardcore gaming enthusiasts.  The vast majority of the double dip TLOU sales (from casuals) would contribute very little to the actual sales of the remastered version.

And then (to further prove my point), of those people above, how many do you think would care about a measely 5-10USD in order to decide on their purchase?

this.. i agree with.  just still feel that more last gen owners would be willing to fork over an upgrade fee as oppose to rebuying a game if nothing more than to add another title to their collection, if not because they still currently enjoy the game.  especially a game as revered as TLOU, which is also something that's still fairly fresh in people's minds.  i know it's all hypothetical at this point in time for wishing a discount program, but i still can't shake the feeling that Sony/ND missed out on something that would of been good PR for them as well as line additional monies in their pocket.. oh well.. it is what it is.

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

BillyBong said:
DrDoomz said:

this.. i agree with.  just still feel that more last gen owners would be willing to fork over an upgrade fee as oppose to rebuying a game if nothing more than to add another title to their collection, if not because they still currently enjoy the game.  especially a game as revered as TLOU, which is also something that's still fairly fresh in people's minds.  i know it's all hypothetical at this point in time for wishing a discount program, but i still can't shake the feeling that Sony/ND missed out on something that would of been good PR for them as well as line additional monies in their pocket.. oh well.. it is what it is.

Fair enough. Hey, who knows?  ND might still run a promotion after the initial sales of the game comes in. I, for one, won't think that's a bad idea, if they do. Just think all the hooplah about the game being overpriced/a rip-off/gouging is just totally unfair of the game. As a person who is actually part of their target market (has PS4, didn't play PS3 version going to def buy the game), I find the price a great bargain.

KLXVER said:

Its a steal alright...

- Moderated, Carl

I really hope there was more than this post to moderate.  if not then wow.........

In my honest opinion it is too much.  I said the same for Tomb Raider as well.  These games are a year old and frankly shouldnt have been remastered in the first place.  They are cash grabs that involved the mimumum amount of work with little reason to buy them unless you didnt play thm last generation.

JayWood2010 said:

unless you didnt play thm last generation.

But of course, and you have just come to the conclusion many people are trying to explain to all these nay-sayers.

Sony knows that many PS4 users didn't have a chance to play the game last year, and are providing them with an excellent game, even improved from the original, at a very decent price for the whole package.

And 200 threads and 100.000 comments later, we have come full circle to the initial purpose of TLoU Remastered.

Around the Network

Out of all the remasters coming out this year, this one get's the hate. I wonder why.....hmmmm

Burek said:

The thing is we dont need 100k comments on the matter or 200 threads to figure out why people arent liking what sony is doing.  people realize its a cash grab.  the people who really wanted the last of us pretty much already got it.  i wouldnt say there is nay-sayers, its simply people do not agree with what theyre doing.  And those people are allowed to not agree with it just as you are allowed to agree with it.  Obviously its a subject where people are going to be divisive or a little controversial.  

At the end of the day it really isnt like its all that big of a deal though.  You can only choose for youself, not everybody else.  

gooch_destroyer said:
Out of all the remasters coming out this year, this one get's the hate. I wonder why.....hmmmm

go back and read comments about tomb raider.  I as well as othrs complained about Tomb Raider's price on this vry site whether it be in xbox empire or other threads.  THe last of us isnt th only one that got hate for it

JayWood2010 said:
Burek said:

The thing is we dont need 100k comments on the matter or 200 threads to figure out why people arent liking what sony is doing.  people realize its a cash grab.  the people who really wanted the last of us pretty much already got it.  i wouldnt say there is nay-sayers, its simply people do not agree with what theyre doing.  And those people are allowed to not agree with it just as you are allowed to agree with it.  Obviously its a subject where people are going to be divisive or a little controversial.  

At the end of the day it really isnt like its all that big of a deal though.  You can only choose for youself, not everybody else.  

Because some ppl just like to complain? Some just like to take potshots at Sony? Some don't understand the industry fully? Some have a strong feeling of entitlement? I dunno, take your pick.

You know what? I'm going to go ahead and say it: "Cash grabs" like this are good for the industry!!! Why you ask? Well, let me explain:

A great game made by a great developer making as much money as it can means several things:

1. More money for the next game said developer is going to make.

2. More incentive for the publishers to fund the next game this developer will make and to give it a bigger budget in dev/marketing.

3. Devs who worked on said project get compensated better and have better job security and are thus motivated more to make the next game better.

4. Publishers become more picky about quality of game (opting to wait til a game is finished in order to make sure it comes out as finished as possible) understanding that the revenue stream can extend past the initial sales.

Publishers will always be shady. They will always try and see where they can make the most money. The market determines where they want these developers to go.

I would much rather they focus on quality-of-games cash grabs, funding these quality devs and getting said quality games to as many customers as possible rather than getting as many small studious churning out garbage due to a focus on quantity-of-games cash grabs trying to throw out multitudes of crappy games in the hopes of landing the next candy crush.

End rant.

PS. and as for your comment of "the people who really wanted the last of us pretty much already got it", you're pretty much wrong in the face. There are those who were playing other games when it came out (I was busy with MMOs at the time), had a different console (Xbox360, Wii upgraders) or those who felt that it had a good chance of getting remastered for the PS4. Granted, it will not be as big a market as the PS3 market given install base plus newness of game, the market is there. If you actually read anout who the target market was for the game during the interviews where they explained it, you'd actually have a get a better understanding of something before you try and crucify it.

JayWood2010 said:
Burek said:

I really don't understand your train of thought!?

"Cash grab"? "People who wanted it already got it"

So you are saying that Sony would have been considered less cash-grabby had they said to those 48% of PS4 owners who never owned PS3 (I'm one of those): "No, we will not offer you an improved complete version for $50! You need to go out, buy a PS3 version for $30, all DLC for $30 more, and a console for $150-200!"

Yes, that would certainly be better business for them, and for me and others who never owned a PS3.