By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 & Xbox One performance distance is closing!

Tagged games:

VanceIX said:
mornelithe said:
Raziel123 said:
Hardcore_gamer said:

Ps4 is 50% faster not powerfull do some research 

I don't need to do research. It's neither 50% more powerful or faster.

ton of real estate.  Sony used that space, to cram in all the extra oomph listed above.  Right now, the differences are relatively small (resolution, framerate etc..)...as time progresses the differences will become more and more noticeable.  But yes, the PS4 GPU is ~50% more powerful than the XB1 GPU.  How it's used, of course, is entirely up to the developers.

Devs do love their parity, so I doubt we see much difference in multiplatform games this generation, just like last. They'll develop for the weaker console's specs, and tweak it a bit for the stronger but not by much. It's the kind of bullshit PC gamers have to deal with.

Isn't it the opposite?  They start with the best and work down.  Start with PC and move from there right?

Around the Network

I think this is funny. When every game on the ps4 had 1.5-2x the resolution, xbox fans would constantly talk about how there are other factors that play into graphics. Now that there are a couple games that are the same res, those other details don't exist. Interesting...

TheNelsconey said:
VanceIX said:

Devs do love their parity, so I doubt we see much difference in multiplatform games this generation, just like last. They'll develop for the weaker console's specs, and tweak it a bit for the stronger but not by much. It's the kind of bullshit PC gamers have to deal with.

Isn't it the opposite?  They start with the best and work down.  Start with PC and move from there right?

The platform the develop on might be PC, but the platform they develop for is consoles. They will never make a game that is unplayable on the weakest console, so they don't optomize fully for either the PS4 or the PC, which is why almost all multiplatform games look essentially identical on all the platforms. 

This is why first party games (TLOU) and modded games (Skyrim) look infinitely better than almost all multiplatform games. It's because the hardware is being optomized properly.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Raziel123 said:
you missed the point..it is more powerful. we just can't attach a % to it. just like MS can't close the gap because it's 100% impossible.

No one will notice how wide the gap is until mid generation. Thats when it will only be sad.

Raziel123 said:
you missed the point..it is more powerful. we just can't attach a % to it. just like MS can't close the gap because it's 100% impossible.

If there was ever an opportunity to attach a fairly accurate % number to a prformance delta between consoles...this is it.

The GCN units in both consoles are pretty much exactly the same bar some minor tweaks. Keep in mind th 50% number is only applicable when talking about GPU performance. And not overall performance. However, considering that these systems are pretty much all GPU...well you can take from that what you will.

But yeah, this is the ONE case where we actually can "just attach a % to it"

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network

can you? 50% of what? "power"? "performance"? what is that, even? it's not 150% framerate. or 150% graphical fidelity, or any of the sort
and why even try to attach a %.. it's just more powerful and the way to look at it is to compare games and leave it at that. PC gamers compare gpus by performance in games, because that's better than thinking "10% or 30% or 50% more powerful". What matters is knowing how that translates in the games.

BS ... XBO version of SE3 is full of tearing.

Raziel123 said:
can you? 50% of what? "power"? "performance"? what is that, even? it's not 150% framerate. or 150% graphical fidelity, or any of the sort
and why even try to attach a %.. it's just more powerful and the way to look at it is to compare games and leave it at that. PC gamers compare gpus by performance in games, because that's better than thinking "10% or 30% or 50% more powerful". What matters is knowing how that translates in the games.

Are you asking what does the 50% refer to?

Theoretical GPU peak performance.

This has a direct impact to what is seen in games. Resolution, textures, effects, lighting, aliasing, filtering..uhmm just about everything.

Can the average joe perceive those differences? I dont know.

Will developers get as much out of each system as they possibly can? I dont know.

This is why its actually useful to attach % numbers to this..because we cant account for all the other variables, but this is the one thing we can especially in this case where the architectures are almost identical.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

mornelithe said:
Raziel123 said:
Hardcore_gamer said:

I don't need to do research. It's neither 50% more powerful or faster.

If you don't do the research, you risk being wrong..  The basic facts are the GPU's aren't really anywhere close to each other.

XB1 - 1.18 TF GPU with 12 ACU's

PS4 - 1.84 TF GPU with 18 Active ACU's (56% higher)

XB1 - 768 Shaders

PS4 - 1152 Shaders (50% more)

XB1 - 48 Texture Mapping Units

PS4 - 72 Texture Mapping Units (50% more)

XB1 - 16 Render Output Units

PS4 - 32 Render Output Units (100% more)

XB1 - 2 Asynchronous Compute Engines with 16 queues

PS4 - 8 Asynchronous Compute Engines with 64 queues (400% more)

The problem is Microsoft tweaked their GPU to have the Esram on-die, which takes up a ton of real estate.  Sony used that space, to cram in all the extra oomph listed above.  Right now, the differences are relatively small (resolution, framerate etc..)...as time progresses the differences will become more and more noticeable.  But yes, the PS4 GPU is ~50% more powerful than the XB1 GPU.  How it's used, of course, is entirely up to the developers.

This 

Hardcore_gamer said:
Raziel123 said:
So instead of a 50% advantage to PS4, it's just gonna be 49%?

You are pretty wrong.

• XO 12 GCN cores (768 shader cores) @ 850mhz = 1.18TF
  • PS4 18 GCN cores (1152 shader cores) @ 800mhz = 1.8TF

The PS4 isn't just faster cause it can do more work at once, its also more powerful cause it has more hardware to the the more work it can do. And this is just looking at a small part of the GPU.

If how devs will leverage this power is anyones guess. Just know that anything teh XO can do, the PS4 will do it better. If you ask me though, none of this is important. If a person only has an XO, that person will be just fine.