By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Some PS4 Vs. PS2, Wii U Vs. GCN, XB1 Vs. XB, etc. Sales Comparisions

June 2014 would be about 1 1/2 years for Wii U, 6 months for PS4 and Xbox One, and 3 years and 4 (5?) months for 3DS.

Where did you get 3, 2, and 4 years?

Around the Network
Nintentacle said:
June 2014 would be about 1 1/2 years for Wii U, 6 months for PS4 and Xbox One, and 3 years and 4 (5?) months for 3DS.

2012 - first year

2013 - second year

2014 - third year

Soundwave said:
daredevil.shark said:
PS4 is more profitable than PS2. Hardware is not sold at loss. Plus PS+ and digital purchase makes it better than PS2.

Too bad PS4 will likely not even come within spitting distance of PS2s LTD. 

Depends on what you mean by spitting distance.

Raziel123 said:
Soundwave said:
daredevil.shark said:
PS4 is more profitable than PS2. Hardware is not sold at loss. Plus PS+ and digital purchase makes it better than PS2.

Too bad PS4 will likely not even come within spitting distance of PS2s LTD. 

Depends on what you mean by spitting distance.

Also depends if PS4 continues to sell a lot into the next gen like PS2 did. 

I'll go on and say PS4 will fall 50 million units sold short of the PS2. Barely passing the 100 million mark or falling short of it.

Wii U will sell 30% more of what GC did, so a little less than the N64, that would be great given the console slow start.

XO, dunno, I'll make a guess and say 50 million units.

Around the Network
Joaco <3 N64 said:
Nintentacle said:

2012 - first year

2013 - second year

2014 - third year

But it came out at the very end of 2012. They should say 2nd year for 2014.

Soundwave said:
I would say as another take away, it's unlikely I think the PS4 will outsell the PS2's second year, ditto for Wii U's third year over GCN's, and virtually impossible for the 3DS to match the GBA. XBox One over XBox might be doable though.

I think the 3DS can match the GBA sales, they only need to expand the lifetime of the handheld. The GBA was killed quickly due to Nintendo discovering the monter that was the DS.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Wow, everything is down. What about X1 vs 360?

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Nintentacle said:
Joaco <3 N64 said:
Nintentacle said:

2012 - first year

2013 - second year

2014 - third year

But it came out at the very end of 2012. They should say 2nd year for 2014.

It wasn't it's first full year on the market, yes, but it was it's first year on it.

Soundwave said:

Here's another disturbing trend if you're Nintendo:

3DS (4th Year 2014 June YTD) Vs. GameCube (4th Year 2004 June YTD) =

768k (3DS) vs. 713.8k (GCN)

That means basically their handheld line is now selling similar to what the GameCube was at the same point's in their life cycle.

Not good, because the handheld line is supposed to be the one carrying the weaker console division.

You can see why Nintendo is having a lot of trouble even sniffing GBA + GCN era profits. 

Wow, just wow, I didn't realise of that. Though, in 3ds' favor we can say it sells a lot more in Japan+Europe, but still doesn't sounds good... even though Nintendo's home consoles tend to sell the most in the US.