By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gran Turismo should be laid to rest.

kupomogli said:
Tamron said:
kupomogli said:

Then why make such a big deal about liking GT4 more.  There wasn't any vehicle damage and bringing up Forza 4.  Why not just admit you're making a thread and hating on the Gran Turismo series because other games are overlooked due to Gran Turismo's popularity.

Sal.Paradise said:
There are two sim racers on consoles. As of Project cars there will be 3. They all have vast differences to fans of the genre.

I literally cannot believe you are a huge GT fan.

GT6 and Tourist Trophy have been added since i took this, so i'd appreciate it if you didn't make unfounded assumptions.

Doesn't mean you're still not bashing the series because other possibly more deserving games deserve more attention which is stolen away by Gran Turismo's brand name.

This guy is a GT fan who wants better. Your comment is meant for guys like me, who think the more critically acclaimed series deserve the lions share of sales.

Well I for one don't care anymore. Forza is better reviewed and sells enough to sustain itself. As a fan, that's really all I can ask for.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

For those who sats that GT is a race simulator, Gran turismo is not a racing simulator at all. It is just the most realistic racing game for Playstation.

I get where you're coming from, but there are several things wrong with your argument.

For one, you're comparing a sim to two arcade games and a sim that hasn't even been brought out to retail. The sim you're comparing it to is basically the natural evolution of Need for Speed: Shit Shift, though I've heard it's starting to finally come along as a legitimate sim.

Secondly, saying that they should stop making GT because of long standing issues that don't even have to do with the number 1 aspect of sim racing. The driving. I agree that most of the engine sounds suck, the A.I. sucks (All sims have bad A.I. except for maybe the F1 series), the clutch is a joke, and the wheel support is mediocre. But the driving is top notch, the car selection (even with the Nissan clones) is second to none, and the real world tracks are as accurate as technologically possible.

It sounds like you just have Gran Turismo fatigue, because you seem to think that GT is so far behind other sim racers.

All sims have issues though:

Forza: Most real world tracks aren't that accurate compared to other sims that also use laser scanning. The engine sounds are exaggerated. Power slides are basically built into the physics to make things more dramatic for the player. Bad A.I. even with the Drivatars. A lot of the minute tweaking/tuning you can do is guesswork by Turn 10 because they can't isolate the data well enough yet.

iRacing: It's ugly. The subscription model is a ripoff. The car selection is terrible. The most recent tie model isn't on every car yet, and some cars handle like they're on ice for no reason. (You griped about PD having a small team, but iRacing's team is even smaller yet it's regarded as the best sim racer out)

Need for Speed: Shift: Fuck that series

Assetto Corsa: I'll reserve criticism since it's still in early access. (I really like it though)

I could point out all the great things each of the sims (including GT) I pointed out have, but that list would take me past my lunch hour. I'm sure you get the point though.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

GT7 will get a release and it will be excellent

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

I agree with the OP. It would be good for Polyphony to start something from scratch, without the pressure of meeting lunatic standards, without having to spend stupid money and without being prisioners of a 17-year-old concept... just something new and different.

Prediction made in 14/01/2014 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 70M      WiiU: 25M

Prediction made in 01/04/2016 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 18M

Prediction made in 15/04/2017 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 90M      XOne: 40M      WiiU: 15M      Switch: 20M

Prediction made in 24/03/2018 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 110M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 14M      Switch: 65M

Around the Network

HOW DARE YOU!

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

If they can polish the gameplay even more I'm happy with the franchise. It's still the best racing game and sales-wise the most popular by far. Even gt6 selling bad sells a lot.

I agree, they need to add some big changes for the next game, but I don't see why they should stop making more.

pokoko said:
As far as the protest over standard cars, let me see if I can get this straight.

Rather than leave them IN for the people who enjoy them, they should take them OUT, so that NO ONE can enjoy them? Because leaving them in would somehow make the game worse? Can't those who don't like them simply--I don't know--not use them? Seems like an awfully selfish and pointless protest, to be honest.

I would prefer that all models were premium. But I've read that the premium models take to much time to be created (3 or 6 months) so it looks like the alternative would be to deal with less cars in the game, like GT3 with around 200 cars. With that alternative, I prefer to see standard cars as long as they keep increasing the amount of premium models with game releases. Releasing GT7 with the current 450+ premium cars + what they can do in time would be a downgrade from the 1200 cars of the previous game.

About the premium models, they probably will be used even on PS5 since all modern models are created with a polygon count hundreds of times higher that what the hardware would be able to render in real time, so every work done for them will be used for a long time.

About putting the game to rest as the OP said, it's pretty selfish to want a series that people enjoy to end, specially because there isn't something ready to take that spot. And simply delaying the next game until they get fresh ideas isn't viable. Sony wouldn't pay the bills for a big studio (100-150 people?) simply sit down and take a nice 5 year vacation. You can't land a hit every game and they should take the criticism about the last games and use it to improve their next one and keep going. You improve your work by working, not by sitting down and doing nothing.

I can't agree more.This series is really dead some time now.Every new iteration confirms that.5 and 6 were absymal not only when compared to their competitors but to their own standards as well.Poor single player,dull graphics,non existent ai,little to no costumization.Every racer out there is better than what these games try to reach and never do.

This thread is right in my wheelhouse, basically my exact feelings regarding GT as well. Used to be by far favorite franchise in all of gaming. I still think to this day the most excited I have ever been in a game store was in Walmart one night when GT2 had just launched and was hard as fuck to find anywhere and I stumbled across one last copy on the shelf and had the clerk get it out for me right before 3 other people came up wanting it. GT3 was IIRC my first PS2 game, one I bought day one with the console when I got it. Played a shit ton of GT4 as well and loved every second of it.

The development of GT4 though is really where imho the franchise started take a nose dive off a cliff. The inclusion of B-Spec meant no online multiplayer and a lack of improvement in some of the games other major problem areas, like sound and AI. It was the first time we saw major improvements to the game held off for a pretty divisive, borderline irrelevant (gameplay wise) feature, something that has since kind of become the norm.

This last gen we saw two GT releases, which seemed not a single bit evolved gameplay wise from the PS2 games. Same shit AI, same shit sound, no real car damage. To make matters worse a majority of the cars were PS2 assets, and a chunk of the tracks were previous gen assets as well. How in the world is this anything other than horrible management?

I don't agree that the franchise should die off. It does, however, need a serious reboot. New developers, new vision. But it won't get it, since the franchise is essentially the Call of Duty of racers. The sales alone mean no changes be made, even if the game desperately needs them. Enough of this garbage where it takes so much time to render one car that the games take 3-4 years to come out and you have to ship the games with a majority of the content being previous gen assets. And enough of focusing so much on photomode and other irrelevant shit that it means the AI remains a joke and the sounds remain as bad as they were on PSone. I know people love their GT, but I can't imagine other franchises getting away with that nonsense. Look how badly GT fans mocked Forza for content issues. If only they were as vocal about their own franchise.