By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Scottish Independence vote - Yes or No?

Are you voting for Scottish independence?

Yes 288 51.15%

No 275 48.85%

Total:563

Whatever the result will be, it's going to be the wake-up call that the British government needs, even if it took 30 years.

Around the Network
Leadified said:
Whatever the result will be, it's going to be the wake-up call that the British government needs, even if it took 30 years.

There are many English who think that Scotland are getting too much if they say as well No. Old Cameron has said that more power will go to the Scottish Parliament about tax and stuff. Benefits the rest of the UK won't be seeing just because we are fine with the way things are. Maybe it is time the English, Welsh and NI got a vote on independence as well, you know, to make it fair.

Hmm, pie.

BraveNewWorld said:
I'd think that Scotland becoming independent would be a huge culture shock it its citizens. The UK is one of the most prominent countries in the world and by leaving Scotland becomes irrelevant in world affairs.

Would that really matter? There are a fair amount of smaller but successful countries (especially in Europe) that have no influence in world affairs. And the UK currently has little influence anyway, those days are over for us. We barely have influence in the EU yet alone the world 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

I'm English so I can't vote but I think they'd be better of as independent.

The politics of Scotland are very different to the rest of England. Not just in the lack of Tory mp's in Scotland but if you look at the huge contrast between the Scottish parliament and westminiser. They need to be their own country so they have better democratic representation.

I believe their economy will do fine on there own long term. Short term there will be a cost and the markets will react with fear, but it'll all settle well. Not a significant enough reason not to have independence.

As an English guy of course things will be worst for me should they go independent so I have a vested interest in them voting no.

I think the Scottish should vote for independence, so they can stay in the EU if England plans to leave it. It would be the best for Scottish people and economy. Why should they let another country decide everything for them?

People will continue to drink Scotch Whisky everywhere in the world and there could not be a better marketing campaign than independence.

Around the Network

As an Irishman I say yes to Independance for Scotland.

etking said:
I think the Scottish should vote for independence, so they can stay in the EU if England plans to leave it. It would be the best for Scottish people and economy. Why should they let another country decide everything for them?

The irony of that last sentence is kinda funny (situational). First, if they get independence they won't be in the EU and would have to go through the process of joining it, including adopting the Euro. Then currently, not everything decided by the UK government is decided for them, they have their own parliament which decides many things. The irony of the situation is that England doesn't have representation within the UK, while the other 3 nations do.

Also, if they are in the EU, Europe is deciding things for them, not themselves.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
etking said:

The irony of that last sentence is kinda funny (situational). First, if they get independence they won't be in the EU and would have to go through the process of joining it, including adopting the Euro. Then currently, not everything decided by the UK government is decided for them, they have their own parliament which decides many things. The irony of the situation is that England doesn't have representation within the UK, while the other 3 nations do.

Also, if they are in the EU, Europe is deciding things for them, not themselves.

its not realy clear if they arnt automaticly in the EU, there is just no rule about this topic.

and for the scotts it should be a easy choice,  scottland will be a social-liberal state without the conservative english.

The Fury said:
Leadified said:

There are many English who think that Scotland are getting too much if they say as well No. Old Cameron has said that more power will go to the Scottish Parliament about tax and stuff. Benefits the rest of the UK won't be seeing just because we are fine with the way things are. Maybe it is time the English, Welsh and NI got a vote on independence as well, you know, to make it fair.

I mean more on the lines that now is the time to open up the debate if the UK should have a single written constitution and for England to finally have a parliment of it's own.

Dallinor said:

Rafie said:

What's the difference between Scottland and Ireland? I've met people from both and they have the same accent, same last name, seems like the same mannerisms. Can someone tell me please?

Basically, to give you a rough explanation.

The two people are descendents of the same race- Gaels, who seem to have arrived in Ireland from Northern Spain. The North of Ireland and Scotland are actually very close, geographically. People were easily able to travel between the two countries by sea, and did so for centuries, with many Irish Gaels settling in lowland Scotland, maintaining their culture and language.

This map shows a DNA analysis of the two countries. As you can see from the green regions shown above, there is an extremely close connection.

Culturally the native languages are extremely close, with Scottish Gaelic decending from Irish (Gaeilge).

So you have culture, language, history and genetics tying the two people together to greater or lesser extents.

The accent is closer to the Northern Irish accent then any other region of Ireland, but to someone living in Britian or Ireland, A Scottish accent is easiliy distinguishable from an Irish one.

I really appreciate you going into detail about this. I really truly didn't know. For years I was always confused because I would come across someone whom I thought was Irish, just to get embarrasingly correct that their actually Scottish. Thanks a lot for this.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron