By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VIII is trash

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Kasz216 said:
Diomedes1976 said:
Ahhh,another sony hater trying to bash one of the better 32bit games...now praise FFIX and tell us how scaring that green sprite Kefka was and you will make my day.

The reviewers would disagree with you Dio. FF9 has a higher average then FF7 which in turn is higher then FF8.

So, to reveiwers FF9 was in fact the best PS1 FF, FF8 was in fact the worst.

Reviews are the opposite of facts though.

I liked IX, however I reverse my order. I say VIII is my fav, VII second, IX third.

One of the major reasons I believe most people don't like VIII as much was because they went through the whole game without ever understanding the base gameplay.

If, throughout most of FFVIII you don't have 99 draws junctioned on each of your stats, or if you ever cast summons much, you probably weren't playing right, lol.

Here is the deal with the gameplay in FFVIII. By halfway through, every attack you do should be a limit break. The game is ALL about limit breaks. Maximizing Zell's limit break and rolling for Lionheart.....wow, the gameplay in VIII was magnificance. I have never played anything like it.

The thing is, your characters will SUCK on your first playthrough. The reason? Well, your not supposed to level your characters until right before Untimecias(sp?) castle.

Why? Well, because later on you get these things you can equip that increases your stats as you level up, and all the monsters you fight have strength based on your level at the moment. So, once you get the awesome ones, and level up at the end, you'll be ultimately strong. Imagine a strength stat with 99 ultima junctioned and strength up levels, and a hit stat and a speed stat at 255, with every attack being a limit break.

That's what it takes to beat the weapon in VIII. Deep doesn't begin to describe it.

I also found the Chocobo quest in IX to be almost as rewarding as VII's.

Oh, it's just to point out that it's not a case of "Sony Haters" which Diomedes blames on everything. I half wonder if he blames things on sony haters in real life.

People like to hold up FF games like they are all 95+ games or something.

"A dog crapped in my lawn! It must be the Sony haters!"

"What, only 3 slices of peporoni on my slice of pizza! Sony Haters!"

"I've been fired for constantly shouting Sony Hater! You Sony Hater!"

That and I don't like games where it's all about "mini-maxing."

If I did, i'd play TCGs.

Or competitive pokemon.  Those Competitve pokemon people are FREAKS. 

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Reviews are the opposite of facts though.

I liked IX, however I reverse my order. I say VIII is my fav, VII second, IX third.

One of the major reasons I believe most people don't like VIII as much was because they went through the whole game without ever understanding the base gameplay.

If, throughout most of FFVIII you don't have 99 draws junctioned on each of your stats, or if you ever cast summons much, you probably weren't playing right, lol.  If you ever become high level in the game early on, you learn very quickly that in order to survive you must either become heavily reliant on GF summoning or limit break abuse.  Dismissing summons as options shows you probably didn't have a real grasp on their effectiveness.

Here is the deal with the gameplay in FFVIII. By halfway through, every attack you do should be a limit break. The game is ALL about limit breaks. Maximizing Zell's limit break and rolling for Lionheart.....wow, the gameplay in VIII was magnificance. I have never played anything like it.  So you're saying that it's good gameplay to be repeating the same move over and over and over in every battle?  EA should hire you for their madden games division, you'd feel right at home.  And FWIW, Rinoa's final limit break with the right magic setup is easily on par if not better than Squall's Lionheart.

The thing is, your characters will SUCK on your first playthrough. The reason? Well, your not supposed to level your characters until right before Untimecias(sp?) castle.  The game is playable at all levels (it just gets much harder at higher levels).  On my first playthrough, I had all my current party members and GFs max leveled before the SeeD test.  The hardest battle in the game for a level 99 party isn't the final boss but rather the Tonberry King btw.

Why? Well, because later on you get these things you can equip that increases your stats as you level up, and all the monsters you fight have strength based on your level at the moment. So, once you get the awesome ones, and level up at the end, you'll be ultimately strong. Imagine a strength stat with 99 ultima junctioned and strength up levels, and a hit stat and a speed stat at 255, with every attack being a limit break.  Unless of course you actually want a challenging battle where you consider using strategy. But then again, if you wanted that you'd be playing a different game.

That's what it takes to beat the weapon in VIII. Deep doesn't begin to describe it.

I also found the Chocobo quest in IX to be almost as rewarding as VII's.

I know you're being sarcastic in this post, but your sarcasm fails.

PS:  If it wasn't sarcasm, you just failed even harder.

I had no problems beating FF8. If you play for max stats in an FF game you'll spend more time perfecting your characters than playing through the story. I don't do that. I don't recall the normal game being very hard, or at least harder than most JRPGs.

Square made a big mistake with FF8, they focused on the wrong story!

The parts where you play as Laguna, Kiros and Ward are far more interesting and engaging than any of the other characters. Not only are they more interesting people but the storyline they have is better too.

I feel that the game is a bit of a missed opportunity really, Laguna's story just shows what the game could have been.

But they are remaking a number of FFs and doing sequels and prequels, maybe they could think about doing a game set before 8 focusing on Laguna instead.

windbane said:
I had no problems beating FF8. If you play for max stats in an FF game you'll spend more time perfecting your characters than playing through the story. I don't do that. I don't recall the normal game being very hard, or at least harder than most JRPGs.

It wasn't hard at all.  It was merely incredibly boring.

The game professes to have 40+ hours of gameplay.  The problem is, if the battles moved along at a decent clip instead of a snail's pace, it would really only have 20 hours of gameplay, if that. 

Around the Network
weezy said:
gamingdevil said:
Damn all this FF talk makes me wanna play FFX... God i need a PS2 NOW! Stupid thing died on me now that i need it :'(

ya im pretty sure everyone has had a broken ps2 b4.

Hence the inflated number of ps2's sold

sorry Weezy but i have an original PS and its working 100% efficiently 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Squall is a little emo bitch, much more so than cloud (i say that even though FF7 is my favourite FF)

Wii code: 6355-7594-5867-2364 Wii name: Mo Smash Bros Brawl: 5198-6095-4615 Cue Sports Revolution: 5327-4649-0447 Mario Kart Wii: 3308-8543-5834

SIG A.W.O.L

Well if FF8 is trash then they may give me 100's of those trash games.

WTF!
FF7, 8 and 9 were awesome. 10, 11 and 12 go downhill further 1 after the other.

8's fight system had some changes. Drawing alot was annoying. But the game was good.

Mistwalker is the new Square Enix