By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Halo:Combat Evolved vs Super Mario 64 vs Soul Calibur. The Rating Game.

Best Launch game of All Time.

Super Mario 64 - N64 103 65.19%

Soul Calibur - Sega Dreamcast 19 12.03%

Halo: Combat Evolved - XBox 26 16.46%

Wow this is tough, I cannot decide. 10 6.33%

Total:158

All three are masterworks, and among the top five launch games ever made.

For question number one, Halo slightly edges out Super Mario 64, but only by the slimmest of margins.

For question number two, Super Mario 64 edges out Halo and SoulCalibur. It's one of the most revolutionary and important video games of all time, and one that best represents the unprecedented freedom of movement and camera control achieved during the early fifth generation.

Around the Network

Super Mario 64 was revolutionary. And it's a brilliant game on top of that. All three of these deserve their place in the hall of legends though, and answering Halo is certainly not 'incorrect'.

Personally I'd say Super Mario 64 > SoulCalibur > Halo: Combat Evolved.

By personal preference any way, I'd still say Halo has more importance than SoulCalibur in the grand scheme of things.

Mario 64 is a far better game than the other two options so it easily gets my vote.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Super Mario 64, hands down. That game is the definition of revolutionary.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

It's not even close at all. Mario 64 is objectively the greatest launch title ever.

It perfected the formula of 3D platforming and 3D in general. If you've ever used the right stick to control the camera, you can thank Mario 64's camera system for laying the groundwork.

Around the Network

I voted for Halo because it was good enough the make the OG Xbox survive and become a major part of the industry.