By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does VGC report console sales figures too often?

Does VGC report console sales figures too often?

Yes 30 25.00%

No 68 56.67%

Unsure 4 3.33%

Why are there no cookies in this thread? 12 10.00%

Total:114

Xb1 sales have been off for almost every week this year by huge percentages, not just a 'couple of months'. And the may numbers were a farce in every respect. Whatever they're sampling, they'd be better off ignoring and just guessing instead.

That said I do enjoy the site, I'm not mad at anyone, and I keep pulling for vgc. I think a reasonable target would be to achieve around a 10% margin of error vs NPD numbers. That should be doable, but would probably require an honest look at why the current sources of data are so broken. Adding more retailer sources would also help.

Around the Network

I would like this bi-weekly update if it was in a fixed date, like always at 1st and 15th each month, so everybody would know beforehand when something new was coming.

Biweekly or weekly, as long as it's not daily, the data seems good to go.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Oh god, the weekly charts are always 2 weeks or more behind now as it is. If it was bi-weekly, there's no telling how late the charts will be delayed. The appeal since the start of this website is the "chartz". That's what started this community. Take that away with consistently late numbers getting later, all your left with is something like KFC that's sold out of chicken every day, until you grow so hungry you move onto another restaurant. This would only kill the community imo.

I just realised since Sony is actually paying for the data and microsoft isn't, could that be a possible cause for better ps4 tracking?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
I just realised since Sony is actually paying for the data and microsoft isn't, could that be a possible cause for better ps4 tracking?

Judging by Vita tracking, they're not paying enough...

kirby007 said:

How many times has XBO been overtracked? 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:
kirby007 said:

its not about overtracked or undertracked but about accuracy... stop being so focused on those marginal issues

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

starcraft said:
Fusioncode said:

Please clarify, what part of that statement are you questioning?

That NPD uses the same methodology as VGC. 

Apologies I thought this was general knowledge, maybe I should have outlined it more in the OP.

VGC: http://www.vgchartz.com/methodology.php

NPD: NPD market research is based on responses from nationally representative samples. Our Research Science team’s extensive expertise in sampling and weighting techniques ensures return samples are demographically balanced to reflect the total population.

VGC uses slightly different language to say the same thing - that is that the majority of their data set is retail and user-polled data that is extrapolated based on an understanding of the historical trends in market size. The reason that NPD is held to be more accurate is that it has a (substantially)  larger sample size, meaning that using the same tecniques, they'll normally (but statistically, not always) arrive at more accurate 'guesses.'

That is such a vague statement that I"m not sure how you equate it to being the exact same methodology that VGC uses. Sounds like you're making up a bunch of BS to make VGC's horrendous tracking look better. And yes it's horrendous. Defend it all you want but that doesn't stop the numbers from looking like a joke every month.  NPD is taken as *fact* by some of the largest corporations in the world. If it's good enough for billion dollar corporations to base their entire market strategy around then I'm not sure why it's not good enough for you. 

kirby007 said:
Fusioncode said:
kirby007 said:

its not about overtracked or undertracked but about accuracy... stop being so focused on those marginal issues

Yes and they've been horribly innacurate for Sony too. Look at how poorly the Vita and even the PS4 have been tracked. You're letting your own bias get in the way of critical thinking.