By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most Overhyped Game of the Year so Far

Titanfall ?

Around the Network

Titanfall the thread!

i think you need to view the reviews of the pC version in order to get an honest, non MS fanboyish evaluation of this product, it was hyped so high, yet delivered barely more than the f2p games out there!  Yet the same reviewers that praised it to no end, chastized the new metal gear game for the same reason... (I think both should be sold for 15$ digital only).

2014 year of mediocre games

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

Raze said:
phaedruss said:
Max King of the Wild said:
Titanfall followed by MK8. Reserve my judgement on destiny till launch.

Yea I think there's a trio, Titanfall/MK8/Watch Dogs.

I think MK8 lived up to/exceeded everyone's expectations. Overhyped requires the game to be below everyone's expectations.

People that are saying Titanfall must be seeing something different to me.

Based on the information we have, Titanfall got an 86 on Metacritic with no campaign, is the highest-selling title on the Xbox One, and still has a healthy online community 4 months after launch.

It also boosted the Xbox One's sales at the time.

Were there some idiots saying it will be the game of the generation or single-handedly lead to the Xbox One taking a permanent lead over the PS4? Sure.  But only a tiny minority, and that does not equal overhype.

As some have said, the most obvious answer is Watch Dogs. Mario Kart 8 seems to have done quite well in terms of sales and quality.  Those games that are most overhyped might not actually be known yet, such as Drive Club, Destiny, Sunset Overdrive and the Order...all of which are prime candidates.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Goes with the title, not the op.  Zelda U.  One small video with no gameplay and the announcement that it's open world.  Absolutely nothing to hype the game over, yet Nintendo fans being Nintendo fans.  No game is hyped the way Nintendo fans hype Nintendo games and Zelda U really has nothing to be hyped about.  As overrated as I feel some of the games released have been, a game that's overhyped when there's nothing to be hyped about is extreme.

Around the Network

Since I'm not into FPS and probably will never even try Titanfall I have to give it to Watchdogs even though I haven't played that one yet either but its in my backlog.

starcraft said:
Raze said:
phaedruss said:
Max King of the Wild said:
Titanfall followed by MK8. Reserve my judgement on destiny till launch.

Yea I think there's a trio, Titanfall/MK8/Watch Dogs.

I think MK8 lived up to/exceeded everyone's expectations. Overhyped requires the game to be below everyone's expectations.

People that are saying Titanfall must be seeing something different to me.

Based on the information we have, Titanfall got an 86 on Metacritic with no campaign, is the highest-selling title on the Xbox One, and still has a healthy online community 4 months after launch.

It also boosted the Xbox One's sales at the time.

Were there some idiots saying it will be the game of the generation or single-handedly lead to the Xbox One taking a permanent lead over the PS4? Sure.  But only a tiny minority, and that does not equal overhype.

As some have said, the most obvious answer is Watch Dogs. Mario Kart 8 seems to have done quite well in terms of sales and quality.  Those games that are most overhyped might not actually be known yet, such as Drive Club, Destiny, Sunset Overdrive and the Order...all of which are prime candidates.

Watch Dogs has sold more than 4 million already. I think it's just as high of quality as Mario Kart 8 or Titanfall, more so in some respects yet still overhyped.

starcraft said:

As far as sales go, Watch Dogs did deliver and it did started loosing hype since last year so I'm not seeing it ... The Order: 1886 isn't even coming out this year and it's also lost some hype over time too so that's hardly a candidate for overhype. 

kupomogli said:

Goes with the title, not the op, but Zelda U.  One small video with no gameplay and the announcement that it's open world.  Absolutely nothing to hype the game over, yet Nintendo fans being Nintendo fans.  No game is hyped the way Nintendo fans hype Nintendo games and Zelda U really has nothing to be hyped about at this time.

Zelda U isn't even coming out this year either ... 

Definitely Titanfall, ive never seen a game get so much hype pre release, dubbed Game of the Year contender by many. But its just another good shooter, but this time without a proper campaign mode.

I can see why many are saying watchdogs, but after the delay i thought it was going to turn out a stinker, so i was pleasantly surprised when i played it to find a solid open world game with some new gimmicks.

kupomogli said:

Goes with the title, not the op.  Zelda U.  One small video with no gameplay and the announcement that it's open world.  Absolutely nothing to hype the game over, yet Nintendo fans being Nintendo fans.  No game is hyped the way Nintendo fans hype Nintendo games and Zelda U really has nothing to be hyped about.  As overrated as I feel some of the games released have been, a game that's overhyped when there's nothing to be hyped about is extreme.

This is funny coming from me but the thing that excites me about zelda u this early is just what they came up with in terms of the art style. I wanted something like the tech demo, but they actually came up with an amazing in between style.