By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mario Kart 8 helps Nintendo’s Wii U turn a corner, lifting console sales more than Titanfall or Second Son - MK8 tops 2 million....

Seems like a silly conclusion, how is a temporary boost from a game (albeit the largest boost we've seen for a single game thus far this generation) going to add to another temporary boost to make the WiiU start being a contender for the generation's "console crown"? WiiU isn't losing by just 200,000.

Around the Network

maybe a decent 3rd place, not a embarrassing one

Click HERE and be happy 

MarioKart 8 is amazing and it has to push sales. I know a lot of people who bought a WiiU for MarioKart 8.

It NEEDS promotion and marketing! MORE ads on TV and anywhere else!

This article is one way to spin it...

Sheesh, talk about poor analytical skills, and certainly a very poor conclusion at the end that Wii U could be a contender for the top selling console of the generation. Especially now that Wii U has dropped again this week. If Wii U stabilises at 50K per week that will be very good for Wii U. But it's not putting Wii U in contention for top selling console of the generation, not even close.

Comparing a multiplat new IP (TF) and a second tier franchise that only sold moderately well (and not very well with inFamous 2 truth be told) on PS3 is a poor basis for comparison.

I think, potentially for PS4 at least, Destiny may shift more consoles than MK8, and that's a multiplat.

It would be great for Wii U to eventually come up to 60-70K per week. But I can't see how the usual franchises are going to get it higher than that. And it would need to sell double that to be in contention for the gen 8 crown.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

This uses misleading numbers considering that the 5 weeks beforehand had big launches saw multiple big releases for the ps4 and xbox one. Also, let's look at the fact that sales are now back to where they were before mk8

Welp, this Christmas, it should sell really well with SSB4 but there is no doubt now that the wiiU is doomezed

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

spurgeonryan said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Welp, this Christmas, it should sell really well with SSB4 but there is no doubt now that the wiiU is doomezed

I just bought five new games. how is that doomezed?

Games will be great but I doubt its going to sell over 20 million which seems to be the general level of hardware being considered to be doomed around the internets from what I can tell

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I'll probably buy a Wii U for Smash when it comes down to $199

The problem is that the Wii U will not have as many good releases as consistently as the PS4 or Xbox one. In fact, Watch Dogs is the only major third party release coming up that I can think of, and that doesn't even seem certain at this point.