By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I Honestly think consoles are a dying breed, just like handhelds

Pristine20 said:
I've recently started playing PC games but if I had a choice I'll choose to play on console every time despite the extra fuel PC games get from mods. I don't think I'll ever get comfortable playing video games with a keyboard and mouse. It doesn't help that I can't type.

Then who just wrote that...?

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Pristine20 said:
I've recently started playing PC games but if I had a choice I'll choose to play on console every time despite the extra fuel PC games get from mods. I don't think I'll ever get comfortable playing video games with a keyboard and mouse. It doesn't help that I can't type.

Then who just wrote that...?

Me

Intrinsic said:
I could tell you how wrong you are and how you obviously have no idea what you are talking about, but in truth if you can't understand what makes consoles relevant as opposed to PCs on your own... then you wouldn't understand what i would say either.

I'll say this much though... handhelds are becoming obsolete cause something is directly replacing them in the very same space and form factor they are in. If you make a PC in the same form factor that a console is in and to compete directly with consoles... well, then you will find what you end up with is................. you guessed it!!! A console!!

steam console?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

PullusPardus said:

whats so different about a PS4 and a PC? 

Same thing as always

You can only play PS4 exclusives on PS4

Raziel123 said:
PullusPardus said:

whats so different about a PS4 and a PC? 

Same thing as always

You can only play PS4 exclusives on PS4

For now.....dun dun DUNNNNNNN!!!

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Intrinsic said:
I could tell you how wrong you are and how you obviously have no idea what you are talking about, but in truth if you can't understand what makes consoles relevant as opposed to PCs on your own... then you wouldn't understand what i would say either.

I'll say this much though... handhelds are becoming obsolete cause something is directly replacing them in the very same space and form factor they are in. If you make a PC in the same form factor that a console is in and to compete directly with consoles... well, then you will find what you end up with is................. you guessed it!!! A console!!

steam console?

My point exactly. Downside with the steam console/PCs like it; is that you don't have the advantages that you have with a PC and don't have the advantages of a console either. Its just an in betweeb box which is why it will never come to market. 

Intrinsic said:
DonFerrari said:
Intrinsic said:

steam console?

My point exactly. Downside with the steam console/PCs like it; is that you don't have the advantages that you have with a PC and don't have the advantages of a console either. Its just an in betweeb box which is why it will never come to market. 

I can't see the point of having half assed console/pc bread... you will keep upgrading like PC so you lose the advantage of console fixed plat and more performance on the same budget, and will also lose some of PC advantage on using any HW you want, so I think it more like a lose lose situation than a win win... A purely stream that could play games better than a sli Titan today and equivalents in the future is a good possibilitie to be a mid term, won't win all the console market but can be a viable alternative.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Intrinsic said:

steam console?

Steam console seems doa to me. No 1 standard spec, you still need to check requirements and what games are compatible with the steam box. Plus it seems it will be more expensive than consoles.
Steam box is nothing like smart phones replacing handhelds. People already have the smart phone with them.

Lag free high quality cloud gaming built into your smart tv could threaten console gaming, but not for a long time the way the internet is looking today. Consoles will be more convenient until then.
Faster to start, all games will work adequately for the entire gen, standard controller, easy to move between rooms, trade in games, lend/borrow games, exclusives optimized for specific hardware.

i read all your facts and come to the opposite conclusion.

consoles now have the best bits of PCs in their ability to get game updates and the ps4 does it so elegantly through background updates. it also has game suspending for instant switching to other apps.

why should i fuck around with a PC and the constant updates and drivers. getting it to display correctly on a tv is always hard and i am pretty damn tec savy. keyboard and mouse is a terrible (especially in the ergo part) input.

and most importantly,.. developers piss on pc everyday. consoles get tons of AAA exclusives that will never come to pc. if they do come to pc they come with parity with consoles meaning your $20,000 rig is only as functional as my $400 ps4 other than resolution and framerate.

i used to game on pc and i really can't think of one reason i'd ever go back. ...well piracy but i'm not an asshole.

in short, PCs are just console with more indies, less AAA, and pain in the ass maintenance needs.