By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else tired of the "indie boom"?

The indie boom was inevitable due to the complete lack of creativity of the so-called AAA publishers. And it's a good thing. While many titles lack polish, the bring in new ideas. The good ones get ported by big publishers so that you get something fresh in your mega blockbusters. It's a win-win situation for gamers.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
OdinHades said:

The indie boom was inevitable due to the complete lack of creativity of the so-called AAA publishers. And it's a good thing. While many titles lack polish, the bring in new ideas. The good ones get ported by big publishers so that you get something fresh in your mega blockbusters. It's a win-win situation for gamers.

Yeah, but theyre more like a bonus for people who owns the console. Theyre not really selling points for a console...

SWORDF1SH said:
osed125 said:

This doesn't mean that during the previous gen we had less indie games, the point here is that because AAA games are so expensive and take a lot of time to make, we will see less and less big games coming frequently, therefore, companies have to start marketing indie games, to make the "illusion" that their console have tons of games, when in reality most of them are mediocre.

First of all, indie games are made my indie studios. No matter how many indies studios make indie games, it will not take away the big budget games that are made by bigger studios.

The majority of indie games that are on consoles, or coming soon to consoles, are actually pretty good. I don't think the app-style showelware model can survive on consoles but yes you will get bad indie games.

I'm not sure why you want to target indie games but you are just as likely to get a bad game from a bigger studio.

Once again, I have to agree with this.

Seriously, what is the deal with people hating on indie games? I just don't understand. Most of them ARE good! Sure, there are a few bad ones, but there's a few bad AAA games as well! 

QuintonMcLeod said:

Once again, I have to agree with this.

Seriously, what is the deal with people hating on indie games? I just don't understand. Most of them ARE good! Sure, there are a few bad ones, but there's a few bad AAA games as well! 

People hate on AAA games as well. Its just preference...

RolStoppable said:
MikeRox said:

Depends how you define indie title to be fair.

Most high profile indie games are being snapped up by a major manufacturer through exclusivity deals etc.

Offering promotional deals to garner timed exclusivity on consoles is not even remotely the same as outright funding of a game. The three games that were made by That Game Company are Sony's IPs, so they won't appear on non-PlayStation platforms unless Sony decides that they want them there.

They are however still considered indie titles so fit into the discussion of this thread about indie gaming. Some people's metric for an indie game is not being AAA it would seem. Which is why I said it depends on your definition.

I'll go back to Thomas Was Alone vs Volume then. I do think that smaller studios are going to start producing much more ambitious releases this generation.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

Indie games in a nutshell.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

BraveNewWorld said:

Indie games in a nutshell.

HA!

Angelus said:
I was tired of the indie boom when it started

^This. I'm yet to see an indie game worth  playing.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Pristine20 said:
Angelus said:

There are a few thats definitely worth playing, but most of them seem a bit overhyped imo.

KLXVER said:
Pristine20 said:
Angelus said:

There are a few thats definitely worth playing, but most of them seem a bit overhyped imo.

I disagree. Not even the likes of Journey and Braid gave me that "I gotta pick this up" feeling. I just felt a resounding "meh" and that was it. The "retro" one are especially annoying.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler