By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else tired of the "indie boom"?

MikeRox said:
Each one is noticibly more ambitious than the previous one. Flow was a 2D games. Flower took it to full 3D with a very original premise (and also a great game) but then Journey was up there with any AAA blockbuster for me. It really was an experience.

I hear it is a great game, but isn't it also a very short game with simple premise and controls?  I am not knocking it, sometimes simple games are the best.  I am just saying that in terms of scope, this doesn't seem to live up to even a mid-tier game.  It would seem they have a way to go to get to that level.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

It's got online integration and things to it which is far more ambitious than flower was and elevates it quite a bit. It's a few hours long, but I grew up on games that were a few hours long and for the most part they're a better quality than most much longer games.

But seriously, few games can come close to the emotion felt playing Journey.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

I'm sick to death of it, It was nice when it first started but now the market is floaded!

Hell no, the indie boom is just getting started. It's a lot easier to spot a bad indie game from a mile away than it is to spot a bad AAA game, because the big-money publishers have giant advertising budgets to trick people into thinking their games are good.

The hardware companies also know a good indie game from a bad one, usually. Think Sony would have shown No Man's Sky at E3 if it looked like trash? Think Nintendo would have kept showing Shovel Knight over and over for the past 8 months if it wasn't going to be one of the best games released on either of their platforms this year?

Also, Flower and Journey were published by Sony. C'mon now.

JOKA_ said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

I do agree, the amount of shit indie games are getting ridicules and early access + kickstarter shit isn't helping either.. I just hope that there is some sort of quality control in the future or else all platforms will be filled with mostly average to shitty games

Most indie games can be summed up as 8 bit platformer or 2d puzzle games

I hear this phrase a lot, and I don't understand why it bothers people that shitty games exist.  Whats the difference between a shitty game existing or not being made?  Is the percentage of non-shitty games that important?  Is it a console war thing to claim that some device/console/etc has a low percentage of shitty games?

Just let them exist, and (as I have said before) don't buy them.  

(This isn't so much directed at you, more at the group of people as a whole with this ideaology)

Thing is bad/mediocre/shovelware games have existed since the dawn of gaming. In fact, they've outnumbered the good games on every system since the dawn of gaming. The fact that some of these bad games are small indies now makes little difference. In fact, it actually clears up retail space for bigger 'better" titles because now most of the small ones are digital only.

3,800 titles were released worldwide for PS2, 1,440 titles were released on the Super Famicom in Japan. There are certainly not over a thousand games worth playing between the two of them. Maybe six hundred.

Around the Network
think-man said:
I'm sick to death of it, It was nice when it first started but now the market is floaded!

Just like all the utter dross the shareholder run companies pump out. ;)

It's interesting that there is such an irrational hatred of indie games. I think people get confused between retro styled games (which do for the most part tend to be indie) and games made by developers with very limited resources and not having to answer to a publisher or shareholder.

I miss Mid Tier Games of Playstation 1 & 2 Era,

I suspect Indies make that category of games even harder to breath.

MikeRox said:
think-man said:

Just like all the utter dross the shareholder run companies pump out. ;)

It's interesting that there is such an irrational hatred of indie games. I think people get confused between retro styled games (which do for the most part tend to be indie) and games made by developers with very limited resources and not having to answer to a publisher or shareholder.

It seems indie has gone stale now, devs seem to be pumping out the same crap as everyone else. AAA is no different, I want mid tier back.

no b/c there not all in my face like AAA games on the net they also so far seem to offer great SP experience at a low cost

Play Me

RolStoppable said:
MikeRox said:
Each one is noticibly more ambitious than the previous one. Flow was a 2D games. Flower took it to full 3D with a very original premise (and also a great game) but then Journey was up there with any AAA blockbuster for me. It really was an experience.

Problem is that none of those three games were indie titles, because all of them were funded by Sony. Once you get funded, you cease to be independent.

Another problem is that Sony cut ties after Journey was finished which will likely result in That Game Company's next project being of a smaller scale. Unless they get funded by another company, but that would once again not be indie development.

Depends how you define indie title to be fair.

Most high profile indie games are being snapped up by a major manufacturer through exclusivity deals etc.