By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Nvidia: 'AMD customers stuck with sub-par gaming experiences'

ps4tw said:
Trunkin said:
Last I checked, the performance gap between Nvidia cards and AMD in Linux was unacceptably huge, so I have no choice but to stick with evil, evil Nvidia for now.

"Gaming"  and "linux" should never be used in the same sentence...

I've never had an issue with drivers from either company. Apart from physx, Nvidia cards simply offer less than the AMD ones, with the R9 290 hammering all the price point competition and Mantle is just widening that gap. 

Two years ago, you may have been right, but the times have changed. Thanks to Valve, they've been being used in conjunction for a while now. CryEngine, Unity, and Unreal officially support it, with announced titles coming to Linux in the next couple of years. Gaming on Linux is only going to get bigger from here on out, with a number of AAA devs having already expressed interest in developing for it. Realistically, it'll be a while before we start to see any such titles though.

Actually, I've been gaming exclusively on Ubuntu since I built my PC in November last year. Most 3+ yr/old games can run well through Wine, and there are plenty of new (mostly indie) native titles to try out as well. I own over 60, myself.

Around the Network

Still having a sub-par experience with my sub par nvidia drivers on FFXIV.

Trunkin said:
ps4tw said:

"Gaming"  and "linux" should never be used in the same sentence...

I've never had an issue with drivers from either company. Apart from physx, Nvidia cards simply offer less than the AMD ones, with the R9 290 hammering all the price point competition and Mantle is just widening that gap. 

Two years ago, you may have been right, but the times have changed. Thanks to Valve, they've been being used in conjunction for a while now. CryEngine, Unity, and Unreal officially support it, with announced titles coming to Linux in the next couple of years. Gaming on Linux is only going to get bigger from here on out, with a number of AAA devs having already expressed interest in developing for it. Realistically, it'll be a while before we start to see any such titles though.

Actually, I've been gaming exclusively on Ubuntu since I built my PC in November last year. Most 3+ yr/old games can run well through Wine, and there are plenty of new (mostly indie) native titles to try out as well. I own over 60, myself.

Oh yeah people have expressed an interest in it, but last I checked, the benchmarks are still woefully behind Windows, and same goes for bugs etc. Last time I played DOTA on Ubuntu, the mouse had a habit of escaping the game window....As far as I was concerned, that was a game-breaking bug. 

Although if Windows keeps going down the retarded route of tablet OS for desktops, I think more people will migrate over to Linux. 

Nvidia on purpose coded Watchdogs to perform worse on AMD video cards. They are saying they will do this for any game that they get a deveopment deal for and for that reason I will never buy an Nvidia card. Is this what they have to do to compete with AMD?

I know Nvidia doesn't know how to keep their mouths shut at critical times like this but damn this thread shows an awful amount of unnecessary animosity towards them.

Even though I don't like Nvidia they do make good products much like AMD's graphics division and it's a shame that their getting some partially undeserved flak.

Around the Network
ps4tw said:

Oh yeah people have expressed an interest in it, but last I checked, the benchmarks are still woefully behind Windows, and same goes for bugs etc. Last time I played DOTA on Ubuntu, the mouse had a habit of escaping the game window....As far as I was concerned, that was a game-breaking bug. 

Although if Windows keeps going down the retarded route of tablet OS for desktops, I think more people will migrate over to Linux. 

With Nvidia drivers most benchmarks I've seen (in the past year) are quite close to windows. In some cases with Ubuntu even having a slight edge. AMD is another story though, and Intel is hopeless.

But yeah, what you're describing sounds like a pretty major issue for a MOBA. Fortunately I haven't encountered anything like it. Games on linux are generally more difficult to get working properky than with Windows in my experience, but even that has improved since Steam came along.

nvidia is the ultimate sore loser. Have some dignity.

Well, Nvidea can spout whatever bullshit they want. My AMD 7970 has never let me down.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

I dunno, my 7970 still works well enough.

Panama said:
I dunno, my 7970 still works well enough.

Same. I love my 7970. I have it OC'd and it ultras every game I throw at it. 

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC