By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why are there still shortages of the Pro and Elite SKUs?

Unless they have found a way to fix the RROD problem they will be in trouble. Hopefully they have a very good excuse for the shortage and they better resupply the retail chain quick unless they want to completely give the initiative to its competitors in its strongest market.

Around the Network

EB/Gamestop has the 360 Pro/Elite in stock and has for some time. They're also available at pretty much every physical location in my area. I'm not saying the shortage thing was totally fake or anything as they were clearly in short supply in early January, but if EB has them for sale online without bundling crap, that's not much of a shortage.

elite with blu ray + wifi? who knows... ;)

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

hddvd 360 on its way?  j/k

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Every 360 factory EXPLODED.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

I talked to my friend @ gamestop today, and he confirmed shortages of the 360, and speculated that MS is drying to channels for a new SKU, that perhaps includes a Blu-Ray player addon, and a new motherboard, and will be advertised as "fixing the RRoD issue," to consumers.

Rumor has it, apparently, that Gates held off on the announcment of this SKU at CES because at that time, there was a HD-DVD player addon included. At the last minute, after news of the SKU leaked, and realizing if HD-DVD died, as news that week made it apparently possible, that it would be a huge PR disaster for MS.

It is likely that these shortages are due to vast removals of HD-DVD player addons and repackagings of this new SKU sans HD-DVD player, and possibly, but not probably including a Blu-Ray disc drive. Apparently MS wants to prevent the PS3 from dominating the HD movie player market by presenting an alternative to consumers.

What that means and what I believe is this:

There are about a million HD-DVD's being deshelled from new 360 units over the last 4 weeks, and those units are being repackaged, to ship in a new box, without the HD-DVD player, and we'll never know if this was true, because MS has a tendancy to "not mention" their mistakes and losses unless required by law.

So, there ya go.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Bodhesatva said:

Two possibilities I can think of -- one good for MS, one bad.

1) They are restructuring their entire SKU system. Perhaps they are dwindling down to a single SKU to avoid customer confusion, or are prepared to release a whole new group of SKUs, at a new price point, and perhaps with GTA IV bundled in somehow.

2) They don't have enough refurbished units to compensate for the enormous amont of RROD claims, and are being forced to take units directly from the supply chain as replacements for already owned (but irreparably broken) systems.  

now, that would be really bad for microsoft if #2 turns out to be true. the sad thing is, it is plausible that this could also be part of the reason why there is a shortage.

Well MS lose money by extending warranties from 1 year to 3 years to cover RROD, failure rate of 1 in 3 consoles sold, to the tune of around one billion dollars.
Well up to now MS has continuously made losses on its XBox Consoles for the past 6 years and have only recently made profits.
MS make more than enough money through exclusive rights on every PC sold it receives royalties whether or not Windows is installed on a PC.

About the Xbox360 + BR player console/bundle/package :

Yes, I believe MS need to made it but I m not sure they will be able to release it before summer.

About shortage,

I also believe in a new sku release with some modification.
The question is which ones ...

Time to Work !

i hope they do come up with new skus...one that doesnt rrod so that i can finally cosider buying a 360.