By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next Generation of Platform Bias

Thanks to sales2099 for the tip, pretending to be exclusive( in his sig ) was the cause of writing this whole article.

We all are aware about platform bias nothing new but pretending to be excluisve is touching new heights for sure. COD is one example but this generation is taking it to new heights. Look at watch dogs a multi-platform game and still gives a boost to Ps4. Titanfall Xbox and PC gave boost to Xbox One only. Most gamers are going to buy destiny for Ps4 marketing same for many more to come.

http://www.illgaming.in/2014/06/next-gen-evolution-of-platform-bias/

I want you guys to read the article and write your thoughts in the comments section below.

Around the Network

I wouldn't call it platform bias, Titanfall was advertised as an Xbox One game, so people bought it for Xbox One. Watch Dogs was advertised for PlayStation console, PlayStation got the most sales. Simple logic.

Business 101.

Nintentacle said:
I wouldn't call it platform bias, Titanfall was advertised as an Xbox One game, so people bought it for Xbox One. Watch Dogs was advertised for PlayStation console, PlayStation got the most sales. Simple logic.

This is platform bias. Most of the events had Watch Dogs running on PS4, and it was a multi-platform game so why advertise it for Ps4 (money) so what do you call this platform bias. Titanfall can be considered exception because it was available for only Xbox aand Pc so it may not be platform bias. But ads for Xbox one only is platform bias

FrontlineJaguar said:
Nintentacle said:

This is platform bias. Most of the events had Watch Dogs running on PS4, and it was a multi-platform game so why advertise it for Ps4 (money) so what do you call this platform bias. Titanfall can be considered exception because it was available for only Xbox aand Pc so it may not be platform bias. But ads for Xbox one only is platform bias

Sony probably paid Ubisoft to advertise it for their console. If not, they obviously would have showed every platform box-art at the end of the ad.

Around the Network
FrontlineJaguar said:
Nintentacle said:

Thats just like saying advertising and sponsorship = bias.

Thats obvious and thats the whole point of advertising and sponsorships.

fps_d0minat0r said:
FrontlineJaguar said:
Nintentacle said:

But it is misleading for average consumer, I was at a game store few days back and a man came and asked for Watch Dogs on ps3, I asked him why was he buying it on ps3, he answered I own Xbox 360, One, Ps3  but I am buying it own Ps3 because he thought it was exclusive I told him he was wrong and we both got in a debate, I told him it was only exclusive content. He then agree's with me and buys Xbox One version. So the question is why he did he  even thought game was exclusive.

Lol, what a bullshit article. It says absolutely nothing while trying to be profound. The "examples" are very few and not representative of the "problem". Titanfall sold better on X1 because it's the better version, on a new consoles and PC game sales are shitty anyway. Watchdogs sold well on PS4 because the consumer knew that PS4 was better value, not because they thought it was exclusive. COD sells better on Xbox because that's where most of the dudebros are, but even that can't hold up if you compare the sales which are pretty close together now.

At the end he even starts to rail on exclusives in general. Which is not wrong but completely undermines the premise of the article.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

FrontlineJaguar said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
FrontlineJaguar said:
Nintentacle said:

But it is misleading for average consumer, I was at a game store few days back and a man came and asked for Watch Dogs on ps3, I asked him why was he buying it on ps3, he answered I own Xbox 360, One, Ps3  but I am buying it own Ps3 because he thought it was exclusive I told him he was wrong and we both got in a debate, I told him it was only exclusive content. He then agree's with me and buys Xbox One version. So the question is why he did he  even thought game was exclusive.

Why did you ask a random guy why is he buying a game for the PS3? Just because he wasn't buying it for a Microsoft console? Talk about platform bias.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

eFKac said:
FrontlineJaguar said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
FrontlineJaguar said:
Nintentacle said:

Why did you ask a random guy why is he buying a game for the PS3? Just because he wasn't buying it for a Microsoft console? Talk about platform bias.

Because I am a frequent visitor of store and I have always seen that guy buying Xbox One and 360 stuff.