By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What made Pokemon famous? (poll included)

Pokemon's Claim to Fame

Games 61 39.61%

Trading Card Game 5 3.25%

TV Show 40 25.97%

Promotions 1 0.65%

Toys 0 0%

All of the above 44 28.57%

None of the above 2 1.30%

Other 1 0.65%

Total:154

Everybody knows the name Pokemon today. Hell, it's the second highest selling game series out there! And that's just the games. A popular TV show, trading cards, figurines, promotions, and so much more have Pikachu and the rest of the Pokemon on them. So which made it how big it is today?

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

Around the Network

japan and there rpgs
reason why it got so popular japan was buying it tons and tons of it

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

Perfect timing. First there was Pokemon Red/Green in Japan, and that sold very well, so Nintendo saw potential. Then (I don't know how) Nintendo got the Triforce of Wisdom: Re-releasing with Red/Blue, making the TV show, and TCG, then some toys... There was no way for Pokemon to fail. It was new, fresh and different, and Nintendo/GameFreak knew how to approach this monster.
Look at Yokai Watch in Japan now! It sold respectably well, but then the Anime released, started selling like crazy, and the sequel is shaping up to become the new Pokemon!

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Anime Series.

Pokemon got lucky. The TV show started first in the US in a poor time slot. 7:30AM where shows can die. But luckily enough people loved and told people, and repeat. Then the games came out. Instant crack for 90's kid.

Around the Network

The anime obviously.

The release of the gameboy pocket (Which was really the only game in town at the time for handheld gaming) and the sudden interest in handheld gaming that followed was crucial for Pokemons transition to the west.

pokemon was too big to fail when they started it.... a combination of merchandise, tv show, video game, and trading card was all planned from the beginning

Mew. No really. It was Mew.

The fact it was a portable game, and that they released an anime and trading card game alongside it is what pretty much made it mainstream, and it's popularity just grew from there.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."