By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I Don't get Why you Homies Think Digital is Not Cheaper...

Yea....you completely fabricated that entire post, other than the tax. Gas money? Unless you live in the backwoods or something, Walmart (they, in particular, have over 11,000 stores in the countries they're in) or some other store is within a few miles of you. Average fuel economy of a new car last year was 23mpg. Gas is $3.79/gal around me right now. Let's give you a 6 mile round trip. That's 26% of a gallon of gas. That's $0.98. So not a "few dollars". Yes, I just ran the math.

And any smart person would know not to go to Gamestop to trade in their games. You could buy a game new, $60, and they'd only give you $20 in return, even though they'd just turn around and sell it for $55. No, you go to mom & pop shops or eBay to sell your games. Uncharted 2, a 5 year old game (so it meets your criteria of games you know you're done with) still goes for $10 on ebay. So not "a dollar or two".

You only want, or at least pretending to want, to go all digital because Microsoft wanted to go all digital. Your topic is a stealth "Go Xbox" post disguised as a "we need to look ahead" post. Next time, open up the opacity tool and turn it down a little before you hit "submit"

Around the Network

Just do what I did with the PS3: Buy one when its successor comes out, instantly have free access to all the good games your friends played on PS3 because they will lend them out ;)  In my experience with single player titles, especially if you can wait (cheaper on online sites or used), physical is cheaper in general.

RushJet1 on: 

Bandcamp

YouTube

Twitter

VanceIX said:

Consoles are picking up flash sales as well (at least Sony is). I bought Ni no Kuni for $5 the other day on a flash sale. You can't beat that price at retail. In the last few months, Sony especially has shown signs of embracing the digital sales model.

No offense man but I really dont think you are reading my responses. NNK is as I stated a greatest hit. You probably wont ever do better than $10 on that. XBOX does the same for their Platinum/Greatest/whatever hits digitally. Every other game outside of the $20/greatest/platinum price point you can usually do better with physical

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

CDiablo said:
VanceIX said:

Consoles are picking up flash sales as well (at least Sony is). I bought Ni no Kuni for $5 the other day on a flash sale. You can't beat that price at retail. In the last few months, Sony especially has shown signs of embracing the digital sales model.

No offense man but I really dont think you are reading my responses. NNK is as I stated a greatest hit. You probably wont ever do better than $10 on that. XBOX does the same for their Platinum/Greatest/whatever hits digitally. Every other game outside of the $20/greatest/platinum price point you can usually do better with physical

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles wasn't a greatest hit, and I got it for $20 digitally on a flash sale.

Arcania the Complete Tale wasn't a greatest hit, and it's $5 digitally right now.

Ys: Memories of Celceta wasn't a greatest hit, and I got for $20 off on a flash sale.

Atelier: Escha and Logy isn't a greatest hit, and I got it for $25 off on a flash sale.

Dark Souls 2 was $22 off on a flash sale a week ago.

I can keep going, but all those games were available for huge mark-offs just over the last month or two. 

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Vetteman94 said:
On Amazon I don't think you get charged Tax or shipping, and if you preorder it I think they will send it to you on release day. Plus I get a physical copy, alot of time you get preorder bonuses. And I can sell it or lend it to friends.

So which way is actually cheaper?

Amazon charges tax now, and I can have a game downloaded and playing on different consoles at the same time if I have it digitally. I can have a game downloaded to both my Vita and my PS4, or my PS3, Vita, and PS4, and play it whenever I want on any system I want.

Around the Network

Well i noticed in Ohio Sony stopped taxing about a year ago on psn, but nintendo still does and its annoying. i wish i understood this better.

In Europe digital console games is more expensive than retail so even if I want digital its a nobrainer not to buy it on console. Look at digital PC vs digital on console. Boycott console digital as long as prices ar higher than Steem.

VanceIX said:
Vetteman94 said:
On Amazon I don't think you get charged Tax or shipping, and if you preorder it I think they will send it to you on release day. Plus I get a physical copy, alot of time you get preorder bonuses. And I can sell it or lend it to friends.

Amazon charges tax now, and I can have a game downloaded and playing on different consoles at the same time if I have it digitally. I can have a game downloaded to both my Vita and my PS4, or my PS3, Vita, and PS4, and play it whenever I want on any system I want.

No they dont. Here is my recent order off Amazon.  No tax.  

And how many games allow you to buy 1 version and use them on all those items.   Because I didnt think any games had Cross play for PS4 and Vita yet.  And there were only a few for PS3 and Vita.  And none for PS4 and PS3.  

Vetteman94 said:
VanceIX said:
Vetteman94 said:

No they dont. Here is my recent order off Amazon.  No tax.  

And how many games allow you to buy 1 version and use them on all those items.   Because I didnt think any games had Cross play for PS4 and Vita yet.  And there were only a few for PS3 and Vita.  And none for PS4 and PS3.  

Some states now charge tax on Amazon, and the list will keep growing. 21 already charge tax now.

And here's a list of all the cross-buys-

http://www.vitaplayer.co.uk/playstation-vita-ps3-ps4-cross-buy-guide/

Also, I own 2 Vitas. I can download my purchased games on both and play both. If I give one to my brother while I'm away at college, both of us can play the same games.

I may also get another PS4 down the road, one to keep at home and one to take with me when I'm studying at my university. If I have digital, both of those will have a shared library, so my family back home can enjoy the same games I am in my dorm. 

Well it certainly is not cheaper here in the UK. For example Watch Dogs on the PS4 is £59.99 digital but I got my physical copy for £44... This is the norm for games over here so it will be a while before I go full digital!