By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smart or Stupid? Splatoon isn't a Mario game.

vivster said:
Sure why not. But now I want Mario Paintball.

I hope they sneak in a lot of Nintendo references to make this feel like a true Nintendo game. How should they do this you ask? 

- Graffiti referencing all kinds of Nintendo franchises and characters

- Characters will be customizable: so give us Mario/Luigi/Wario hats, a Metroid hat, Link's hat, etc

And hidden characters like Bowser Jr. would be sweet by the way. He'd be hard to hit considering he's so small! 

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
vivster said:

I hope they sneak in a lot of Nintendo references to make this feel like a true Nintendo game. How should they do this you ask?

- Characters will be customizable: so give us Mario/Luigi/Wario hats, a Metroid hat, Link's hat, etc

And hidden characters like Bowser Jr. would be sweet by the way. He'd be hard to hit considering he's so small!

NO. I hate when they shoehorn in Nintendo Characters where they don't belong. Like those awful costumes in Bayonetta.

They should just let this slip into certain obscurity and then do a real Mario Paintball game.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I think its way better this way without Mario because Wii U did not win over the casual crowd its all about the hardcore Nintendo fanbase and they are waiting for a new IP a long time and going to buy it.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

I thought people were tired of Mario.

vivster said:
Samus Aran said:
vivster said:

NO. I hate when they shoehorn in Nintendo Characters where they don't belong. Like those awful costumes in Bayonetta.

They should just let this slip into certain obscurity and then do a real Mario Paintball game.

Graffiti and costumes aren't exactly shoehorning in characters. It's just to make clear that their is a universe of Nintendo games, I like that. 

Bowser Jr. would fit in because of his role in Super Mario Sunshine. But I won't mind if they don't do it, it's a little bit far-fetched anyway. 

I hope this succeeds.

Around the Network

there is no doubt in my mind that if this game was skinned with mario it would sell more than as is.

i'm glad nintendo is trying to make a new IP out of this but this whole squid theme is just not doing it for me. i wish they put more effort into the aesthetics because these characters just feel so lifeless and boring. mario would be better than squids but new IP with effort would be better than mario.

I really liked what i saw.
But at the same time it`s too early to say how great it can be because we know too little about it.

Personally, if there`s a lot of content in the game, it can sell really well.

kitler53 said:
there is no doubt in my mind that if this game was skinned with mario it would sell more than as is.

i'm glad nintendo is trying to make a new IP out of this but this whole squid theme is just not doing it for me. i wish they put more effort into the aesthetics because these characters just feel so lifeless and boring. mario would be better than squids but new IP with effort would be better than mario.

Squids and ink make perfect sense plus there will be customization. Not sure why everyone is disliking the character design, I love it. I get a Jet Set Radio vibe from this game. 

Should have called it SplatMario/Mariotoon. Would have moved a million copies.

Intergrate Mario skins with amibo.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling