By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony: Nearly A Third of PS4 Owners Only Had a Wii or Xbox 360 Last Gen

Captain_Tom said:
MoHasanie said:
Interesting. That's quite impressive but not unexpected since the PS4 is a great console and the competition has made huge mistakes.

Yeah PS4 is gonna win the same way the PS2 did:  Make a great console with a solid strategy that does extra well because the competition is blundering left and right.

Agreed. But they need to be extremely careful now, even if the competiton pose no threat for them. With lots of eyes on them, one simple mistake can cost them the lead.

Around the Network
Arkaign said:
Ka-pi96 said:
I don't believe those statistics. This was clearly a limited size study and can't be used to assess the PS4 userbase as a whole.

da nile is a river in africa?

Just judging purely by NPDs this is obviously possible, and even probable.

Come on now, correlation does not imply causation. That is statistics 101.

Ka-pi96 said:
Mr_No said:
Conegamer said:
Also, Sony need to stop using the phrase "Playstation Nation". It does them no favours.

I think the name is pretty ok. But what would you suggest?

Playstation Domination?

Hehe, now we're talking. But Nintendo already has it.

Mr_No said:
Captain_Tom said:
MoHasanie said:
Interesting. That's quite impressive but not unexpected since the PS4 is a great console and the competition has made huge mistakes.

Yeah PS4 is gonna win the same way the PS2 did:  Make a great console with a solid strategy that does extra well because the competition is blundering left and right.

Agreed. But they need to be extremely careful now, even if the competiton pose no threat for them. With lots of eyes on them, one simple mistake can cost them the lead.

I agree they need to double check their strategy and keep pushing ahead, but it would take more than 1 set back to lose the lead.  The only thing I could see making them lose the lead is if the X1 dropped to $300 and gained a couple megaton exclusives like COD or GTA.

Aerys said:
That is almost my case, i only had a 360 and a Wii, then i was forced to buy a PS3 for The Last Of Us and discovered all the games.

did you played Demons Souls or Valkyria Chronicles? because those are some of the must have games on said console.

also on the topic it doesnt really surprised me, ive seen enough people online and friends going from 360 last gen to PS4 on current gen.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Arkaign said:
Ka-pi96 said:
I don't believe those statistics. This was clearly a limited size study and can't be used to assess the PS4 userbase as a whole.

da nile is a river in africa?

Just judging purely by NPDs this is obviously possible, and even probable.

Yes the Nile is in Africa, your point being?

Why is it obviously possible? This suggests about 2.5 million PS4 owners had only a 360 or Wii last gen. I don't think that many single console owners would immediately go to PS4.

You would be wrong.  I know some.  Everyone assumes there is a massive amount of brand loyalty, but there is effectively none minus  ~2-5 million fanboys per team.  Even most of the hardcore simply get what is best at the time (Like we all should!).

Ka-pi96 said:
Mr_No said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Playstation Domination?

Hehe, now we're talking. But Nintendo already has it.

Correction: Nintendo had it.

Their domination is over. Long live the new King PS4!

+1.  I really don't see how Nintendo is dominating right now...

Mr_No said:

Not so much a matter of making mistakes, but who puts out the most compelling offerings to the mass market. Last gen, it started off with the Wii -- then it shifted towards Xbox 360, and now things shift back towards PS as a whole. It seems to run in roughly a 3 year cycle. Wii 2006-2009. 360 2009-2012. PS 2012-15...

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

I feel somewhat alienated as I have a library in my house.

Ka-pi96 said:
Captain_Tom said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Why is it obviously possible? This suggests about 2.5 million PS4 owners had only a 360 or Wii last gen. I don't think that many single console owners would immediately go to PS4.

You would be wrong.  I know some.  Everyone assumes there is a massive amount of brand loyalty, but there is effectively none minus  ~2-5 million fanboys per team.  Even most of the hardcore simply get what is best at the time (Like we all should!).

I don't think there is that much brand loyalty, although I would expect more multi-console owners.

It really depends what you mean y "Multi-console" owner.  One of my friends started with a Wii, and then felt burned 2 years into the generation and got a 360.  Then 2 years later he got a PS3.  As time went on he played the 360 less and less and could no longer justify paying for LIVE over PS+.  So he sold his 360 (And all of its games) and bought a PS4.  He effectively only had a 360, and now only has a PS3 and PS4.