By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu April Hardware Numbers

Wow, DS/Wii had nearly 1 million combined sales. 

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/26975/DS-Lite-sales-hit-10m-in-Japan 

Japan Hardware Sales: April

DS Lite: 702,844
DS: 2, 211
PSP: 158,291
GBA SP: 3,749
GB Micro: 3,626
PS2: 67,673
Wii: 287,722
PS3: 71,247
Xbox 360: 17,094
GameCube:  258

Around the Network

DSL = 4.4 times PSP Wii = 4 times PS3 and 16 times 360 Japan is Nintendoland right now and probably for at least the next few months as well looking at the upcoming releases there.

The DS Lite sales are very impressive; most companies would be happy if their worldwide sales were similar to the DS Lite's Japaneese sales. The PSP and Wii have both sold well, and the PS2 and GBA are doing alright for consoles which are on their last legs in Japan.

The XBox 360's sales are very poor although Microsoft should be somewhat 'pleased' with them; the original XBox spent most of its life selling approximately 2,000 units per month, sales like this mean there is actually some life in their system.

The PS3's sales are not good but what I think is the worst problem with them is what they mean to worldwide sales. The PS3 was supposed to easily pass the XBox 360 worldwide (and become the dominant HD console) because of sales in Japan; at 50,000 units per month over the XBox 360 I'm not certain the PS3 is even compensating for the XBox 360's sales advantage in North America. Overall, I think these two systems are selling similar numbers worldwide which means the PS3 isn't cutting into the 360's lead at all.

DKII said:
DSL = 4.4 times PSP Wii = 4 times PS3 and 16 times 360 Japan is Nintendoland right now and probably for at least the next few months as well looking at the upcoming releases there.

I don't think the releases even matter. For the forseable future Nintendo systems will dominate Japan no matter what.

wow.... the PS3 outsold the PS2 in japan? Were any new games released? What was the cause of that? As a matter of fact that same question applies to the Ds as well..... doesn't everyone in japan have one already? Wow Nintendo is making a killing with that system.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

Around the Network
staticneuron said:
wow.... the PS3 outsold the PS2 in japan? Were any new games released? What was the cause of that? As a matter of fact that same question applies to the Ds as well..... doesn't everyone in japan have one already? Wow Nintendo is making a killing with that system.

120 million people in Japan, plenty more customers out there

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Wow, 120 million? So...14% of Japan's entire population owns a DS. Dang.

EDIT:  Or...  .06% of the whole world owns a DS! 

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:

I'm hoping it reaches 4% WW penetration by the end of its lifetime

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

BenKenobi88 said:

Yeah strange isn't it?

In Japan if you are sitting in a train or walkin in a street you see people with a DS in their hands and in Europe I never

have seen someone with a DS playing sometimes a PSP but never a DS... 

BenKenobi88 said: Wow, 120 million? So...14% of Japan's entire population owns a DS. Dang. EDIT: Or... .06% of the whole world owns a DS! I'm hoping it reaches 4% WW penetration by the end of its lifetime

------------------------

thats impossible.

7 billlion ppl on the world.

1 percent of population

70.000.000= 70 million * 4 coz you want 4 percent. 280 million ds to reach to 4 percent WW population lol.

i dont think thats possible