By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Were Sony fanboys this bad during the PS2 era?

I used to be a rabid Nintendo fanboy way back in the day and found later that PlayStation "fanboys" were actually just consumers who had to move forward to the PSOne an then the PSTwo to get their gaming kicks.

Around the Network
cheshirescat said:
Surely this will end well.

I mean, if I ends with me does that mean you like me? *blush*

But yes, this is a bait thread. Targeting userbases is a no no. So... no no!

Locking!

Smug? How so? Aren't Fanboys of all Creeds irrational? We aren't talking about fans right, just fanboys who by Urban Dictionary definition are people who are blind to anythig they don't support?

A better question would be why are "Fanboys" fanboys instead of normal fans.

Can't we all just get along.If not for yourself, do it for the future.

Is it really all that weird that another group of fans finds it silly to think WiiU is going to be "trading punches" with the PS4 simply because of one week where the two were selling on par? I'll give you a hint, it's not just "Sony Fanboys" who think it's premature to start thinking about the WiiU as fighting it out with the PS4. Give it a few weeks at least to see where things settle out before saying things like "MK8 will push 2million consoles". Then maybe you will get more series debate since you'll have some actual data to back up your scenario.

Troll_Whisperer said:
You don't think the PS4 will outsell the Wii U by 3:1?

No, my instinct says the PS4 will beat it by between 1.75:1 and 2.25:1.

Around the Network

1) You do realize the PS1 and PS2 outsold its competitors in margins of 3 to 1 or even 4 to 1 just to make a little example:

PS2: 156 Million units
Xbox: 24 Million units
Gamecube: 22 Million units

PS1: 102 Million units
Nintendo 64: 32 Million units

Playstation fans and long time gamer overall are not making stuff up when they think that its "POSSIBLE" that the PS4 may outsell its competitors in a similar way probably 3 to 1 or 2 to 1, because it has happened more than once already, and at the beginning of this generation, both the Wii U and Xbox One didn't had the best launch possible, the Xbox had all the bad PR and the weaker system for higher price problems etc etc. and the Wii U earned a bad reputation for lack of third party support and very few exclusives in a long time (yes both of those have solved most of their problems but it hindered their performance) meanwhile the PS4 is selling like hotcakes despite not have a lot of exclusives out, it even outsold the WII U that had MK 8 with a MULTIPLAT game like watch dogs (yes it had exclusive content but it was FAR from being an exclusive and not even close to MK 8).

2) i think you just entered the "gaming world" in a time when Playstation was at its lowest, now your seeing what they were able to do before, and you are seeing people accept it (because it has happend before) and its just making you confused.

3) I love Playstation but im FAR from being a mindless fanboy in fact i don't agree with the statement that the PS4 will triple the sales of the X1, especially after the 360 got so popular, Xbox has now a big fanbase and its gonna be way harder this time for Playstation to reach the market share domination they had in the 5th and 6th gen, also Playstation has always had the problem that they star too slow getting very few exclusives on their first years, but after 2 or 3 years it gains a LOT of momentum and that is when you are gonna see a lot of PS4 exclusives coming out from both japan and the west. if Playstation wants to dominate like they did before they need to get the exclusive games WAY faster than before.

Fanboys of all types are annoying to me.

To answer your question, during the PS2 generation they were just as annoying as they are now, but, in greater numbers. Not to say all of the Playstation fans were fanboys, but, because there were a lot more vocal fans back then, you'd see more vocal fanboys.

It seems to me that whichever console is leading in sales always has a more vocal fanbase on forums. For example, when I joined this site (in 07) the Wii was tearing up the sales charts, and I saw a lot more Nintendo fans come out of the woodwork making threads ( not necessarily making fanboyish posts) and posting about Ninetndo games.