By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Super-speed Internet satellite blasts off in Japan

Lingyis said:
do take note of the "*Based on half of advertised speed, Oct 2007" part.

"real" download speed obviously depends on traffic, which varies depending on geography and time of the day you're using it.

you can be conservative and decide to chop another factor of 5 from the graph if you want.

It also depends on the connection speed of the source of the download, how many people are also accessing that server, the route required to reach that destination, etc etc etc. You can never truly know how long it will take to download a certain amount of data because it depends on all of those factors.

"If you don't like me, bite me!"

Around the Network
madkiller said:
Lingyis said:
do take note of the "*Based on half of advertised speed, Oct 2007" part.

"real" download speed obviously depends on traffic, which varies depending on geography and time of the day you're using it.

you can be conservative and decide to chop another factor of 5 from the graph if you want.

It also depends on the connection speed of the source of the download, how many people are also accessing that server, the route required to reach that destination, etc etc etc. You can never truly know how long it will take to download a certain amount of data because it depends on all of those factors.

i agree.  in general a factor of 10 probably about in the right neighborhood in practice.  agree or no?

the Wii is an epidemic.

sc94597 said:
supermariogalaxy said:
1.2 gb/s!!!!!!!! I'm running 100 mbps and it's really fast...(DSL FTW)....1.2 gb/s is ALOT of downloaded cat pictures...

There is no 100mbps connection in the U.S the most is 50mbps I think. The highest I think dsl goes to is 12mbps. I think you are looking at you ethernet connection speed. Take a speedtest here http://www.speedtest.net/ .

To the op what are the upload speeds? 

Oops, I meant 40 MPBS

@madkiller : FTTH provides 100Mbps and it's widely available in Japan. I don't know about other countries but in France you can have 100Mbps through FTTH in the main cities. And it's not very expensive :

30€/mo (45$) through Cable for 100Mbps download / 100Mbps upload + unlimited phone + 110 TV channels

20€/mo (30$) through Cable for 100Mbps download / 100Mbps upload (internet only)

30€/mo (45$) through ADSL for 50Mbps download / 50Mbps upload + unlimited phone + 50 TV channels

So 100Mbps is the best connection available to the public for now. 

Username2324 said:
You guys do realize that the 1.2Gbps is not for one individual, its the total bandwidth for the satelite, meaning it could only support 1200 people with a 1mbps connection.

So the statement "Superspeed internet satellite" is quite false.

Any evidence to back that statement up? I just want you to think about what that would mean.

If even 100 sources were to use the satellite, then their bandwidth would each be 12 MBs per second, which is slower than high end cable we can get right now for 50 dollars a month. Except... it wouldn't be ~50 dollars a month. This is a satellite that requires millions if not tens of millions of dollars to launch.

Answer me this: why would they spend millions of dollars to launch a satellite that's worse than a cable connection the moment more than a handful of people connect to it? I don't ask that sarcastically.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

Jesus crist, its sucks that the UK is still miles behind those korean/japanese :(

My UK connection is usually 400 kilobytes per second, with a maximum download of 8GB per month, for £30/month (~$60).

That's the worst value ever; much worse than the US. You can't play online games without hitting the download limit, basically.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

What country have the fastest internet? Is it Japan, US, Germany or UK?

NSS7 said:
What country have the fastest internet? Is it Japan, US, Germany or UK?

Not the UK... 

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

i would love to have internet that fast

Switch Friend Code - 3664 - 9964 - 9777

Smash Ultimate Alias - Happy Lion

Mains: Donkey Kong, King K. Rool, Diddy Kong