By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales 01/06/14 - Mario Kart 8 Week! (>325k SW, 19k HW)

People shouldnt jump on conclusions saying japan market is dead, we cant know that for sure until PS4 get some system sellerrs

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network
DélioPT said:
The sales of the game are great. The HW sales are a letdown.
Makes you think if this is just a Wii U problem or is more of a home console problem.

Its a Japan prefers handheld gaming problem that's only sold 20,000 units even with the game selling 350,000 :P. I wish the people totally downplaying the HW sales would remember and not be so negative. Its like Ryan said Wii U has to be saved in the West.

tbone51 said:
Seece said:

You clearly don't. FYI I can say what I want, if games and price cut didn't help WiiU in Japan last holiday (and indeed WW) I don't see what's different about this holiday, I'm saying it'll be up in the air as to whether it'll be up/flat/down, whatever.

I'm not even using the trend that it was down YoY last holiday as to why it won't do much this holiday, rather its actual low sales and reaction to Nintendos interventions. You were the one claiming "how can you even say that blah blah blah" hence you didn't do your research as I pointed out to you, it already happened.

It didn't have a price cut in japan, do some research...

The cheaper sku? I don't consider Nintendo too have had any "price cut" but that's what people like to tout it as.

Are you happy with the hardware bump tbone? :)

Seece said:
fleischr said:
Seece said:

Nope.

Nov 12 - 425k
Dec 12 - 460k

Nov 13 - 220k
Dec 13 - 480k

I'm referring to Q1 2013

Who was talking about Q1 being down worldwide? Admit it, you were talking about the holiday in NA, otherwise your post makes no sense.

Does make sense if you consider the release timing of SM3DW, which released late in November to lukewarm sales for a Mario game, but then legged out okay. December is relatively even, even up YOY.  SM3DW created momentum in NA for the following quarter. Had WiiU continued the downward trend it had before the 3DW release, december '13 wouldn't be remotely even YOY, it would have been under 300k

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Aerys said:
People shouldnt jump on conclusions saying japan market is dead, we cant know that for sure until PS4 get some system sellerrs

as i do say we shouldnt judge intill later into life of new HW, its looking bad overall in general currently. PS4 needs the games now not in 2016 :p

Around the Network
Seece said:
tbone51 said:
Seece said:

You clearly don't. FYI I can say what I want, if games and price cut didn't help WiiU in Japan last holiday (and indeed WW) I don't see what's different about this holiday, I'm saying it'll be up in the air as to whether it'll be up/flat/down, whatever.

I'm not even using the trend that it was down YoY last holiday as to why it won't do much this holiday, rather its actual low sales and reaction to Nintendos interventions. You were the one claiming "how can you even say that blah blah blah" hence you didn't do your research as I pointed out to you, it already happened.

It didn't have a price cut in japan, do some research...

The cheaper sku? I don't consider Nintendo too have had any "price cut" but that's what people like to tout it as.

Are you happy with the hardware bump tbone? :)

The last sentence wasn't necessary, you know.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

tbone51 said:
Aerys said:

as i do say we shouldnt judge intill later into life of new HW, its looking bad overall in general currently. PS4 needs the games now not in 2016 :p

Anyone trying to use Japan as some sort of crystalball to determine the fate of any home console sales need to realize its exercise in fuility. Japan isn't a dead markert just for home consoles :P. 

So is the 350k number correct or the 325k? Also, this is quite a sad state that the Japanese console market is in. I do not see anything saving it at this point for this gen. The Wii U should have seen a boost to at least 30K and the PS4 #'s are just plain embarrassing. Why M$ is going to even try with Japan in it's current state is beyond me.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

This wasn't a full weeks worth of sales right? The game was released on a Thursday May 29th. I think the next sales update will show a greater increase in hardware sales than this.

Seece said:

Not a ver good bump? So far then we have a 8k~ boost in UK and a 10k boost in Japan?

US should fair a lot better, should still be around 100k for the week.

Normally I would agree, but ioi came in saying over 200k, so I guess we've gotta assume it'll be around that figure.

Apologies if someone else just pointed that out. But whilst the HW bump may be disappointing in Japan, it'd suggest much better things elsewhere.

But it's not important how it performs Day 1 or Week 1. It's how the sales hold up weeks, or months, down the line. If we come back in 4 weeks and the system is selling back below 40k then, well, there's not an awful lot more to be said really.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.