By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: Dark Souls 2 will stay the highest rated new game on Metacritic in 2014

DerNebel said:

That he said that he wants to do it in 3 years doesn't mean it's that it's going to be that fast, fact is that the last 2 mainline Zelda games took 4 and 5 years each to come out. I have a hard time believing that now in HD (Nintendo themselves pointed out that they were surprised with how difficult HD development was) it is suddenly going to work in 3 years, especially with how many delays Wii U games have experienced since launch.

You can believe what you want, but Aonuma saying that he wants to do it in 3 years is not enough to make me believe in a 2014 release, especially not with Hyrule Warriors releasing this year and them having Smash for the holidays. I guess we'll see next week.

He said that in direct response to the last two Zelda game dev times. The Zelda team for this game is supposed to be larger than any Nintendo team so far, and their work with WWHD proves that they fully grasp working with HD, and that took only 6 months.

Believe what you want ultimately. I'm just saying that when the developer of a game says something and has taken tangable steps to acheive it that contradict the contrary, I'm going to go with that. I won't be upset if I'm wrong, but I definitely won't be suprised when I'm right.

Around the Network

One down and my prediction still stands.

Things that imo could still destroy it: Bayonetta 2, Smash and possibly LBP 3 (those games are critics favourites so who knows)

DerNebel said:

Things that imo could still destroy it: Bayonetta 2, Smash and possibly LBP 3 (those games are critics favourites so who knows)

CToad may beat Dark Souls 2, if people rate it. Smash 3DS/WiiU or Bayo2 may also trump it if it sticks to past markers. I don't see LBP3 even breaking 85% average. Destiny is out of the running. Sunset Overdrive MIGHT get high enough on color, spirit, and flavor. I can't think of anything else.

I'm actually a little sad that Dark Souls 2 is higher rated than Dark Souls 1.

I'm hoping CoD will beat it. Ultimate meltdown? Yup!

Vena said:
DerNebel said:

CToad may beat Dark Souls 2, if people rate it. Smash 3DS/WiiU or Bayo2 may also trump it if it sticks to past markers. I don't see LBP3 even breaking 85% average. Destiny is out of the running. Sunset Overdrive MIGHT get high enough on color, spirit, and flavor. I can't think of anything else.

I'm actually a little sad that Dark Souls 2 is higher rated than Dark Souls 1.

I don't see Captain Toad getting in the 90s, more like low-mid 80s. And I wouldn't underestimate LBP, hasn't had a game score under 87 on Metacritic yet (aside from the Karting game).

Around the Network
DerNebel said:

I don't see Captain Toad getting in the 90s, more like low-mid 80s. And I wouldn't underestimate LBP, hasn't had a game score under 87 on Metacritic yet (aside from the Karting game).

I say Toad because its been a dark horse at every showing where gamer-press has had a hands on with it. We know very little about it as a whole, so I am basing my opinion on this fact and, as per consequence, the fact that it was even made into a game based on fan request/reception.These sorts of games tend to have more than their fair share of developer love poured into them as they wouldn't generally exist otherwise.

As for LBP, there's been a definite drop in quality since the first (which was great) and this next version really feels like a bit of a throw-together on the old engines that still support the PS3. It'll be a good game, <85 is not a bad score, but it feels like it lacks the spirit of the first and may involve many of the utterly stupid mechanics of the second. For reasons of contrast, E3 set the comparison itself when you saw LBP3 and YoshiWW.

Vena said:
DerNebel said:

I say Toad because its been a dark horse at every showing where gamer-press has had a hands on with it. We know very little about it as a whole, so I am basing my opinion on this fact and, as per consequence, the fact that it was even made into a game based on fan request/reception.These sorts of games tend to have more than their fair share of developer love poured into them as they wouldn't generally exist otherwise.

As for LBP, there's been a definite drop in quality since the first (which was great) and this next version really feels like a bit of a throw-together on the old engines that still support the PS3. It'll be a good game, <85 is not a bad score, but it feels like it lacks the spirit of the first and may involve many of the utterly stupid mechanics of the second. For reasons of contrast, E3 set the comparison itself when you saw LBP3 and YoshiWW.

I don't agree, but don't feel like discussing this, let's just leave it at that. LBP3 is to me just as much a candidate for a 90+ score as Toads Treasure Tracker (not extremely likely, but possible, remember I bet that Dark Souls 2 wouldn't be beat by another game this year) is and the Yoshi WW comparison seems rather pointless unless you want to discuss grahpics/visual design.

DerNebel said:

I don't agree, but don't feel like discussing this, let's just leave it at that. LBP3 is to me just as much a candidate for a 90+ score as Toads Treasure Tracker (not extremely likely, but possible, remember I bet that Dark Souls 2 wouldn't be beat by another game this year) is and the Yoshi WW comparison seems rather pointless unless you want to discuss grahpics/visual design.

CToad releases this year, though. Only EU will see it in 2015.

I was speaking in terms of visual design when talking about YWW and LBP3 as they both work off of similar visual concepts, just that one is full wool that other is a hodgepodge of fabrics. (And yes, the actual rankings are obviously subjective and there's no real reason to preemptively discuss what may or may not be. :P )

DerNebel said:

Based on trailers, press releases, interviews I've seen it's 90%+ likely Bayonetta 2 is 1080p 60fps. Game looks totally boss.

Since this gen started, we've been craving full HD only to be let down by most AAA entries.

As great as it looks, performs, and plays -- it may just be GOTY material

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Smash bros (WiiU) will probably get more than 92.

I'm sure of it.