By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 offerings at GDC - Wasn't a complete bust

I figured i would compile a quick list off IGN that shows what happened at GDC this year.

New Games:

PixelJunk Eden

Game Updates

WipEout HD:

= Tech. Specs and Features
   - Full 1080p
   - SixAxiS features
   - 8-player Online
   - Add-on Content 
   - Leader Boards
   - Custom Playlists

= Teams
   - Feisar
   - Assegai
   - AG-Systems
   - Qirex
   - Piranha
   - Triakis
   - Goteki45
   - EG-X

= Race Modes
   - Single Race
   - Tournament
   - Time Trial
   - Speed Lap
   - Zone Mode

= Tracks (Descriptions from Sony)

Vineta K – On the southern shores of Makana Island, the circuit at Vineta K snakes in and out of the ocean and across the beaches. The highlights of this 4.4km track include spectacular underwater tunnels and cutting-edge architecture along the waterfront.

Chenghou Project –The feature-packed circuit at Chenghou Project weaves its way around the offices and corporate buildings of Makana Island's business district. The 4.8 km track contains a tricky inverse-cambered spiral and culminates in a long jump into the tunnelled entry of the final chicane.

Sebenco Climb – The 4.8 km Sebenco Climb track is cut into the hillsides of Makana's Sebenco mountain range. It features a steep traverse up the snowy mountainside, followed by a breathtaking plunge into an icy tunnel carved through the very heart of the mountain. The final section takes pilots through a challengingly tight chicane before they swing back onto the grid.

Sol 2 – The 4.4 km Sol 2 circuit hangs suspended in the clouds high above Makana Island. Consisting of a series of fast-flowing, occasionally open-sided corners linked by sweeping straights, the combination of harsh sunlight and blind summits ensure that Sol 2 is a test of nerve for every speed class.

Ubermall – In the heart of Makana Island's commercial zone is Ubermall, a 4.6 km circuit built into a vast shopping centre. The latter half of the track contains a brief split which rejoins into a narrow hill, followed by an outdoor park section that leads swiftly to the finish.

Anulpha Pass – The 5 km Anulpha Pass track is located in a custom-built entertainment arena on the east side of Makana Island. Although the track looks deceptively simple from above, the undulations of the track surface and narrow skill-cut are enough to keep any racer on their toes.

Moa Therma – The immense man-made complex of Moa Therma is located just off the northern coast of Sicily, with around a third of the track surface built using mag-strip technology. The centrepiece of this 5.3 km circuit is the gigantic horizontal loop which sits just above sea level.

Metropia – The 4.7 km Metropia circuit weaves its way between the skyscrapers and traffic control towers that dominate the Kyoto skyline. Glass-bottomed track surfaces and a stunning vertical mag-strip drop into the depths of the city are just two of the highlights of this popular track. 

Warhawk: Operation: Broken Mirror

= New Vehicle
   - APC
      ~ space for six people
      ~ Bubble-shield that both protects from enemies and can nullify enemy vehicles
      ~ Can ram through most vehicles minus tanks

Sketch 'n' Scan

= Features
   - Draw things into games with just a marker

Updated Engines

Unreal Engine 3

Havok

Vision Engine

CryENGINE 2

New Development Tools/Engines

Nocturnal Initiative

= Developer source for source code and discussion about their games
   - Free

3DVIA MP

= 3D rendering tool

= Publishing tool

PhyreEngine

= Crossplatform game engine

So overall not that bad. There was some screen shots available for some random games. FFXIII was shown but all info was blackballed from being seen by the consumer yet.

EchoChrome had some new videos, cant get them embedded.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

I wish there would have been a new game announcement (specifically one or both of the Team ICO games...), but at least they announced PixelJunk Eden and Tank. I don't think I will get the latter for lack of the PS Eye, but both look very cool.

The Warhawk expansion looks awesome too.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Don't want to spill everything at this one, hopefully they have a huge E3.

360 games at GDC was so much better showcasing Gears of War 2, Ninja Gaiden 2 and Fable 2. PS3 games such as MGS4 and Kill Zone 2 games will be delayed again and may not be released until late this year

Not too bad then!

Sony tend to save their annoucements for the other conferences (such as E3) so i'm confident we will hear more from them in the coming months :D

Around the Network
Aj_habfan said:
Don't want to spill everything at this one, hopefully they have a huge E3.

Sony's gamers day is probably going to be at the end of March. If not early May. 

E3 is in July (starts July 11th)

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

I would love to get my hands on wipeout

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

forgot to put the PhyreEngine on the list, added.

IF I missed anything else let me know.

Im all giddy at Sketch 'n' scan.
I used to draw a lot in elmentary school(about war)
I cant wait to actually see my drawings go to war.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

PixelJunk Eden added