By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - DirectX 12 Might Not Have A Big Effect On Xbox One, Mostly Targeted For PC

Link: http://gamingbolt.com/directx-12-might-not-have-a-big-effect-on-xbox-one-mostly-targeted-for-pc-flying-wild-hog

DirectX 12 Might Not Have A Big Effect On Xbox One, Mostly Targeted For PC

Earlier this week, Flying Wild Hog confirmed to GamingBolt that the Xbox One version of Shadow Warrior will run at 900p compared to the PS4 version which will support 1080p resolution. Following up on our conversation with the game’s Lead Engine Programmer Krzysztof Narkowicz and Michal Szustak,CEO and Game Director, we asked the duo whether DirectX 12 will bring any benefits to games development on Xbox One.

Krzysztof Narkowicz stated that, “It’s targeted at lowering draw call overhead on PC, which isn’t such a big issue on Xbox One, as some low level access is already available there. On the other hand having one API across multiple platforms decreases development time”. This indicates that DX 12 will have more impact on PC compared to the Xbox One but in the end development time [and probably costs] will be brought down across the two platforms.

The situation can be compared to AMD’s Mantle who are also solving the same issue of allowing developers to program PC games close to the metal similar to console games development. There is a reason why Mantle may not be available for PS4 and Xbox One since they already have low level API access.

We also asked Krzysztof whether they faced any difficulties in porting Shadow Warrior on the Xbox One. “The hardware is very similar to PS4. Xbox One is using familiar APIs like DirectX. Adding Xbox One support after having a PS4 version up and running was an easy task,” he added.

Shadow Warrior makes it debut on current generation of consoles this Summer.

Around the Network

I doubt anybody thought there will be drastic difference, if hardly at all

but I can picture a good looking game on Xbox with buzz word 1st DX12 game etc

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

That makes too much sense to believe.

B-Bu-But... The Sauce...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

KylieDog said:
I don't think anyone of reasonable mind thought it would.

it must see some old Microsft threads then

Click HERE and be happy 

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
B-Bu-But... The Sauce...

What sauce?

PS4 is destined to have visual advantage in this gen regardless of anything. Its more powerful and easy to program. But DX 12 is great news for PC enthusiasts.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
B-Bu-But... The Sauce...

Xbox One Secret Sauce confirmed false

Current consoles: Wii U, Gaming PC

Add me on Wii U! Adamjh99

Add me on Steam! GamingByAdam

Naturally DX12 was going to have a greater impact on PC. I wasn't really expecting drastic changes to come to Xbox One, but any slight improvement is a good thing, not that it looked awful in the first place.

I think the only person who ever thought it would make a difference, even when it is added in 2016 was that misterx kid. He also thought there were hidden chips inside the xbone board..