By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U Outsells Xbox One

Experimental42 said:

You're crazy if you don't think platinum fans will buy Wii U's just for Bayonetta 2, especially with Kamiya hinting at a port of the original bundled with it.

Why should a port of "Bayonetta 1" matter much to the PlatinumGames-fans in the decision to buy a Wii U?

Bayonetta-fans will already have Part 1 for PS3 or 360... Bayonetta 2 should be enough for their decision.

Fans of "The Wonderful 101" already have a Wii U.

Fans of "Vanquish", "Anarchy Reigns" or "Metal Gear RIsing: Revenge" already have a PS3 or 360... so they had enough opportunities to get Bayonetta 1 several years.

And PlatinumGames fans which didn't buy any of these titles (Bayonetta 1, Vanquish, Anarchy Reigns, MGRR and TW101)... are these really dedicated fans you can count on to buy a Wii U for Bayonetta 2?

Around the Network
Conina said:
Experimental42 said:

You're crazy if you don't think platinum fans will buy Wii U's just for Bayonetta 2, especially with Kamiya hinting at a port of the original bundled with it.

Why should a port of "Bayonetta 1" matter much to the PlatinumGames-fans in the decision to buy a Wii U?

Bayonetta-fans will already have Part 1 for PS3 or 360... Bayonetta 2 should be enough for their decision.

Because it's a decent deal for devoted fans and newcomers, plus they could update the port with special features. The people I know who got some hands on time with Bayonetta 2 said the controls were far better and more natural on the Wii U than original so a port with such updates could be pretty nice, especially if they implement the touch screen for it. Some people may have already sold their originals as well, or like myself, prefer to have a complete series on one system if at all possible.

Collectables and such are also extremly popular in Japan. Apparently the Japanese have an obsession with these types of things that is far greater than western audiences. They can also get away with more variety in collectables package with bundles in Japan than America, which is good for something like a giant fetish game lol.

Experimental42 said:
The original Bayonetta sold 2 mil copies or so over its life. That's a significant number when you consider it's a completely untapped market for Nintendo. The game has a cult following and even if it only sells 2mil again, I'm willing to bet it moves a disproportionately large volume of hardware precisely because of that reason.

If Bayonetta 2 comes out with a port of the original I'm willing to bet it beats the sales of the original and shows a decent boost to Wii U hardware sales upon release.

2 mil is not a significant number. NOt even close. Those are numbers released over TWO consoles that each have a more than 80mil sold. Lets use some math and common sense. 2mil between two consoles, vs one console that WONT reach anywhere near the final sales of either PS3 or 360. Get real. Again most of those were sold a bargain prices. And Bayo 1 didnt do crap for moving PS3 or 360 HW why would 2 do alot for WIi U? and you ignored my question what Platinum game released move HW? im waiting

Experimental42 said:
Conina said:
Experimental42 said:

Because it's a decent deal for devoted fans and newcomers, plus they could update the port with special features. The people I know who got some hands on time with Bayonetta 2 said the controls were far better and more natural on the Wii U than original so a port with such updates could be pretty nice, especially if they implement the touch screen for it. Some people may have already sold their originals as well, or like myself, prefer to have a complete series on one system if at all possible.

Collectables and such are also extremly popular in Japan. Apparently the Japanese have an obsession with these types of things that is far greater than western audiences. They can also get away with more variety in collectables package with bundles in Japan than America, which is good for something like a giant fetish game lol.

lets say this was true, for the hell of it. So what? that only applies to Japan and the WEST is a MUCH bigger potential sales audience period. So again in the grand scheme of things wont make much of a difference.

XB1 will beat the Wii U easily. Calculus. Start off better, stay better and end better

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
XB1 will beat the Wii U easily. Calculus. Start off better, stay better and end better

Xb1 didn't really start better tho, and hasn't been better so it's not likely it will end better. I mean Wii U still has a chance to make a turn around especially with the new hardware they are comming out with. So they could easily do something that grants them the same success as Wii. Anything is possible. Ps3 had a shit time most of the time last gen but the right games came at the right time and they managed to beat 360 and hold the second place slot by the end of the gen. My point is anything is possible at this point and what really matters are games and real innovation.

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)

oniyide said:
Experimental42 said:
The original Bayonetta sold 2 mil copies or so over its life. That's a significant number when you consider it's a completely untapped market for Nintendo. The game has a cult following and even if it only sells 2mil again, I'm willing to bet it moves a disproportionately large volume of hardware precisely because of that reason.

If Bayonetta 2 comes out with a port of the original I'm willing to bet it beats the sales of the original and shows a decent boost to Wii U hardware sales upon release.

2 mil is not a significant number. NOt even close. Those are numbers released over TWO consoles that each have a more than 80mil sold. Lets use some math and common sense. 2mil between two consoles, vs one console that WONT reach anywhere near the final sales of either PS3 or 360. Get real. Again most of those were sold a bargain prices. And Bayo 1 didnt do crap for moving PS3 or 360 HW why would 2 do alot for WIi U? and you ignored my question what Platinum game released move HW? im waiting

You are oversimplifying the matter. Bayonetta did almost nothing for hardware sales on the previous generation for exactly the same reason it will sell more Wii U hardware.

Look at when Bayo one was released. There was a MASSIVE install base 4 years into last gen, and there were plenty of good character action games. The people who would want it likely already had the damn hardware. Character Action Games are also greatly undermined by used game sales because they aren't exactly the most replayable titles.

Now look at the market right now. Bayonetta is coming exclusively to a console that most of its fanbase probably doesn't even have yet. There are also 0 decent, or possibly 0 period, next gen character action games on the market now. It's got a monopoly on the genre in an early period where not nearly as much hardware has sold.

That's why the Bayonetta game will push far more Wii U's than it ever sold PS3 or Xbone: Timing and Audience.

Torillian said:
FromDK said:

The last thing to point out.. is piracy.. the most pirated console has always won (ps1, ps2, wii, ds) and homebrewers can do a lot of nice things with the power and second screen on WiiU.

Don't you think you're reversing the true causality there?  Isn't it more likely that the most popular console (the winner) is the one most pirated because it's the most popular, and not the other way around?

Is it pious because the gods like it or is it liked by the gods because it's pious?

Experimental42 said:
oniyide said:
Experimental42 said:

You are oversimplifying the matter. Bayonetta did almost nothing for hardware sales on the previous generation for exactly the same reason it will sell more Wii U hardware.

Look at when Bayo one was released. There was a MASSIVE install base 4 years into last gen, and there were plenty of good character action games. The people who would want it likely already had the damn hardware. Character Action Games are also greatly undermined by used game sales because they aren't exactly the most replayable titles.

Now look at the market right now. Bayonetta is coming exclusively to a console that most of its fanbase probably doesn't even have yet. There are also 0 decent, or possibly 0 period, next gen character action games on the market now. It's got a monopoly on the genre in an early period where not nearly as much hardware has sold.

That's why the Bayonetta game will push far more Wii U's than it ever sold PS3 or Xbone: Timing and Audience.

Ok i see where you are coming from. I still think you are wrong for the simple fact that the genre that Bayo belongs to isnt even that big to begin with. Lets be real the hack and slash is niche as hell. It doesnt matter if its on a small install base and their is no competition because the actually genre itself isnt that relevant to begin with. Hell for all we know most people who are interested in the game already have the damn system and they are not going to wait till it drops. Hell you're statement isnt even right, Hyrule Warriors is coming out and i wouldnt be surprised if it takes some thunder away from Bayo 2. A Ninty published hack and slash starring Link versus Bayo 2. My money's on Link

Nicklesbe said:
Max King of the Wild said:

Xb1 didn't really start better tho, and hasn't been better so it's not likely it will end better. I mean Wii U still has a chance to make a turn around especially with the new hardware they are comming out with. So they could easily do something that grants them the same success as Wii. Anything is possible. Ps3 had a shit time most of the time last gen but the right games came at the right time and they managed to beat 360 and hold the second place slot by the end of the gen. My point is anything is possible at this point and what really matters are games and real innovation.

XB1 had started off miles ahead of Wii U and hasn't dropped to its lows.