By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Boogie2988 take on Nintendo's Affiliate Ptogram.

Tagged games:

Do you agree with Boogie?

Yes 35 49.30%

No 23 32.39%

See Results 12 16.90%

Total:70
spemanig said:

He's kind of right. It is just a tax. That said, Nintendo has every right to do it. It's their content, yadda yadda. Also, he is seriously overestimating the influence of Youtube. 99% of gamers just watch big publications like IGN and Gamespot. Those guys will always cover Nintendo. 

I know it's a hyperbole but you seriously underestimate what "99% of gamers just watch", here's the top 100 most subscribed gaming channels http://vidstatsx.com/youtube-top-100-most-subscribed-games-gaming-channels. Big publications are a drop in the bucket.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:

huii already explained a problem with that, another problem is that when you fight it if Nintendo do not back down (and why would they, they want you to join their tax program and will not review cases individually and likely blanket answer) youtube will just side with Nintendo, even if you're in the right.  They do it already for lots of companies.

I wasn't arguing if it was fair, I was arguing if it was legal, which it is.

It is not even a close call- of course he is right

You tube is a very powerful media presence and marketing tool for companies large and small-

Like he said, Nintendo is one of if not the only major gaming company not to embrace you tube as free and or cheap marketing that is also very effective

Just because Nintendo has the rigt to do what they are doing does not mean it is a good idea- I m sure all of you can think of many things you have THE RIGHT to do that would not be in our best interest - it is that simple

he's got a point.

If content creator's profit get hit by nintendo,theiy will start to make less videos about nintendo's related stuff(captalism logic).This is a bad thing long term speaking.

This kind of content/free marketing helps with mainstream/casual public(which was the Wii public BTW).

Here in brazil,for example, people almost don't talk about nintendo in VGsites/forums/youtube with the exception of specific nintendo sites/channels.

KylieDog said:

It isn't, but youtube will not waste time and money fighting it for you over one poxy video, nor is any youtuber.  This is Nintendo bullying its fans because it can.  Great how you defend them.

It is legal. There's nothing illegal about it.

Around the Network

just another example of how nintendo is completely out of touch with the real world.

legal? yes. completely moronic? yup.

EA even lets people put up videos. E mother fucking A. When your company has policies that make EA look good, you know something is wrong.

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

KylieDog said:

No, if someone does a review there is an allowance for 'fair use'.  Nintendo has no right to tax that.  Likewise a small gameplay clip like a MK race or SSB match is fair use for commentary purpose.

Letsplays and such I think should be banned to be honest, by every company.  Not covered by fair use.  Uploading a whole game for people to watch just isn't right, especially not when stories and such play such a major role in many games now.  Commentary does not change this, try uploading the last spiderman ovie with commentary over it and see how that goes.

I agree with you, to an extent. Things like Let's Plays or Walkthroughs should definitely be a part of this "Affiliate" program, but not banned all together. Reviews shouldn't be touched though as they are a "professional" media-like entity. 

Does this affect reviews and the sort? Either way, it'll look bad on them.

What's the problem? Nintendo will just take that money and make more games and improve your grandparents' quality of life.

KylieDog said:

No it isn't, its fair use people use for reviews.  If it went to court Nintendo wouldn't win, but Nintendo knows youtube will not do it for its content creators and the creators themselves cannot afford it in mot cases, those that can afford it would be losing money with the costs.  

Nintendo is bullying, it is shameful.

Again, I'm not talking about reviews. I already said that. I'm talking about let's plays and commentary. That's Nintendo's content. If it went to court, Nintendo absolutely would win. Nintendo owns the IP. The fact that they can literally tax and flag let's players proves it.

It doesn't matter if it's bullying. Nintendo doesn't need to share revenue. They could just keep doing what they've been doing. People need to start getting real when it comes to that stuff. Nintendo is under no obligation to "be nice" or accept "free advertisement."

nintendo might be under no obligation, but that doesnt change the fact its a dumb move. This will just lead to less content being created, and so less advertising. considering they have billions in the bank yet are in a terrible spot with the WiiU, one would think advertising and goodwill would be much more important.

They need to sell consoles, not take money from people already paying for nintendo products

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz