By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Child Of Light...

Tagged games:

Child Of Light is...

The best game ever 2 4.17%

Amazing 17 35.42%

Pretty good 14 29.17%

Good 10 20.83%

Average, there's much better games around. 5 10.42%

Kinda bad 0 0%

Just plain bad 0 0%

Total:48

I loved it, except for the fact it seemed to end at the 66% mark. Oh well, for that price, I guess that's expected.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
I'm planning on picking it up when it hit Vita. Not enough turn-based RPGs being made, I want to support it.

Same here, I'm waiting for it on Vita.

haxxiy said:
I loved it, except for the fact it seemed to end at the 66% mark. Oh well, for that price, I guess that's expected.

Indeed. Apparently in a AMA with the developer they said they removed the final castle due to time/money restraints. Makes sense as the game abruptly pits you against Umbra after you defeat Nox.

But here's what I wrote for the gamrReview article on the game:

Child of Light is probably my favorite game so far this year. There's a brilliance and a beauty in its simplicity, and of course this is all intertwined in the game's brilliant art style and soundtrack.

There were times where I just put down the controller and let the music play and the scenery come to life. There's very few games that have had this effect on me, to really captivate me on a audio/visual level. I'm not even much of a traditional JRPG gamer, but the battle system was unique and captivating, and always kept you engaged at all times.

I went through the game twice and afterwards bought the soundtrack (It's brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.). In a video game culture of big, loud, and brash, Child of Light captivated me through it's simplicity, quietness, and beauty. Kudos to the devs. :)

I liked it when I first started playing it, then I got side tracked and haven't had the erg to go back and play it.

Loved it. Favorite game I've played on Xbone so far.

Around the Network

looks great in a lot of respects. half of me want to play it but the other half knows that i don't enjoy turned based rpgs. ..but for fans of the genre it looks like a real gem.

Smeags said:

Indeed. Apparently in a AMA with the developer they said they removed the final castle due to time/money restraints. Makes sense as the game abruptly pits you against Umbra after you defeat Nox.

But here's what I wrote for the gamrReview article on the game:

Child of Light is probably my favorite game so far this year. There's a brilliance and a beauty in its simplicity, and of course this is all intertwined in the game's brilliant art style and soundtrack.

[...]

I do hope, though, its shortness is somewhat fixed by, whelp, DLC. It seems like they are saving something for it like the Isle of Nereida and whatnot.

But yeah, rarity creates value and Child of Light proves it.

kitler53 said:

looks great in a lot of respects. half of me want to play it but the other half knows that i don't enjoy turned based rpgs. ..but for fans of the genre it looks like a real gem.

You can always play it on Story difficulty (or Casual or whatever), enjoy the plot and the characters without caring that much for the turn-basing thing :)

naruball said:
LinkVPit said:
super_etecoon said:
Here's my issue...and why I haven't continued playing:

Do you get anymore upgrades/abilities? I'm already flying around and I don't seem to be using the light for anything except opening treasure chests. Is the only real appeal to this game the blend of side scrolling with turn based RPG? When I got the sword I was stoked...and then I realized I wouldn't be using it in the real world and my excitement instantly turned to malaise.

Someone please get me excited to load this title up again...I just can't be bothered with it if it's just a glorified turn-based RPG.

The light, or Firefly can be used to slow down your opponent in combat letting you delay him or strike first. It can get quite tense in planning your strikes.

In the actual world you're essentially just exploring and looking for chests and the next town, but being able to fly and the just the music alone makes that fun.

I don't know if you've noticed, but you can also use it to heal a member of your party. Deciding whether to heal a party member or blind an enemy is pretty interesting. Not sure if it's a complete innovation, but I've never seen anything like it.

Yeah I knew, but I mainly used it to slow down the enemy, only used the heal ability eveey so often.

Wright said:
kitler53 said:

You can always play it on Story difficulty (or Casual or whatever), enjoy the plot and the characters without caring that much for the turn-basing thing :)

maybe if there is a lull then.  as is i've got quite the backlog anyways.  i'd much rather play transistor for instance.