By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - THe science thread.

In this thread you post a scientific fact, article , or anything scientific that interest you.

My fact is that there is a White Dwarf about 4,000km made all of diamond because of the high density.

Around the Network

>My fact is that there is a White Dwarf about 4,000km made all of diamond because of the high density.

does it really? how did it end up with that many carbon atoms?

Fact: (sticking with Astronomy), our galaxy (Milky Way) and M31 (Andromeda) will collide in just a little over 2 billion years. most likely destroying the planet and pretty much anything in both galaxies.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Fact: Our solar system is apart of Orion's Heel which doesnt move like the rest of the galaxy. We have passed through every leg of the milky way galaxy due to this.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

kingofwale said:
>My fact is that there is a White Dwarf about 4,000km made all of diamond because of the high density.

Fact: (sticking with Astronomy), our galaxy (Milky Way) and M31 (Andromeda) will collide in just a little over 2 billion years. most likely destroying the planet and pretty much anything in both galaxies.
There's a chance that our solar system could get flung out into space all by itself (if the sun is still around...what's its life expectancy again?)

@kingofwale Yep I first got this from the show The Universe on the history channel right before a commercial but I searched the web and it was confirmed here is a link from bbc http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3492919.stm

Around the Network
epsilon72 said:
kingofwale said:

There's a chance that our solar system could get flung out into space all by itself (if the sun is still around...what's its life expectancy again?)

10 billion years in total 4.5 billion went by so about 4.5-5 billion years. Btw the earth would most likely be uninhabitable by then. The galaxies won't get destroyed either they would just fuse destroying many systems in the process but not everything. The supermassive blackholes would orbit eachother. 

>There's a chance that our solar system could get flung out into space all by itself (if the sun is still around...what's its life expectancy again?)

the Sun will probably implode/release planetary nebulae (too small for supernovae) about 200 million years from now (If I remember correctly), so the chance is about 0. lol

@sc, I didn't ask for confirmation, I was simply curious. lol, I mean, carbon atoms aren't exactly in every corner of this universe.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:

^ ? 200 million years I thought it was widely accepted in the scientific community at least 4.5 billion.

Yeah but the chances of this happening out of the googol number of stars is very likely.

>The supermassive blackholes would orbit eachother.

hmmm, I am thinking M31's blackhole (which is the much bigger one) will most likely overtake ours, it will again create another spiral galaxy, eating up a lot of the stars. Let's just say, I don't envy whoever had to live through that period.

selnor
Episode 2:

>^ ? 200 million years I thought it was widely accepted in the scientific community at least 4.5 billion.

no, sun will BURN OUT in about 200 million years (from now, not sure, I need to look up the H-R diagram to give you the exact time). I believe 4.5 billion is the age of Earth, Sun is probably formed a little earlier than that.

selnor
Episode 2: