By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

Barozi said:
MoHasanie said:
Barozi said:
Just saw the TV ratings in Germany.
almost 10 million watched Iran vs. Nigeria. I was one of them lol.

How many watched the Germany vs Portugal match? 

26 million plus ~1 million who were watching it on the streets.

WOW, that's massive considering Germany's size. UK ratings were much more unimpressive for the ENG vs Italy match, with only 11.5 million watching. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:

WOW, that's massive considering Germany's size. UK ratings were much more unimpressive for the ENG vs Italy match, with only 11.5 million watching. 

I'd agree but that match was on at 11PM. This one was a few hours earlier. So...that could explain such a gap.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Brazil vs Mexico will be good,
Mexico has always been a problem for them in the last decade or so

In fact the last 13 meetings:

Mexico has won 7 of those, Brazil has won 4 and 2 draws.

I think only Argentina and Uruguay has more wins over Brazil.
But with this being in Brazil it's a big mountian to overcome.

Brazil 2 - Mexico 1

Conegamer said:
MoHasanie said:

I'd agree but that match was on at 11PM. This one was a few hours earlier. So...that could explain such a gap.

That's true. This one did peak at 15.6 million.

The last England opening match from the 2010 World Cup was watched by 16.1 million and peaked at 20.1 million, but it aired at 19.30 BST.  

The highest peak in UK ratings in the past 12 months has been Murray's win at Wimbeldon last year peaking at 17.3 million. 

MoHasanie said:

The last England opening match from the 2010 World Cup was watched by 16.1 million and peaked at 20.1 million, but it aired at 19.30 BST.  

The highest peak in UK ratings in the past 12 months has been Murray's win at Wimbeldon last year peaking at 17.3 million. 

Hmm fair enough. Still rather low.

But even with that Murray win, it was crazy hot and nice outside so an awful lot of people may have gone to parks or events to watch it rather than inside (Plymouth Plaza was rammed for example) so the number is probably closer to 20mil for that (IMO).

I never really trust these viewing figures. But you sorta get a vague impression about performance which is good.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
MoHasanie said:

Hmm fair enough. Still rather low.

But even with that Murray win, it was crazy hot and nice outside so an awful lot of people may have gone to parks or events to watch it rather than inside (Plymouth Plaza was rammed for example) so the number is probably closer to 20mil for that (IMO).

I never really trust these viewing figures. But you sorta get a vague impression about performance which is good.

Yes that's very true, and weather in the UK really affects TV ratings, that's why you see higher viewing figures in the Fall and Winter then the Spring and Summer. 

MoHasanie said:
Conegamer said:
MoHasanie said:

Just saw that the peak for yesterday's game was 30.22m just before the game finished (~8pm)

Best result for the German team was the semi finals against Spain in 2010 with 31.1 million viewers and 32.9m during the peak.

I heard here in Australia we had over 2mil tune into the Aus vs Chile match. Not bad for a country of 23mil who couldn't give a fuck for the sport. Also it was at 8am on a Saturday, everyone would still be in bed after getting wasted the night before 😁

Barozi said:

Just saw that the peak for yesterday's game was 30.22m just before the game finished (~8pm)

Best result for the German team was the semi finals against Spain in 2010 with 31.1 million viewers and 32.9m during the peak.

Damn, that's massive. That's almost 1/3 Germans watching it! If you look at the highest rated broadcasts in each country, all of Germany's broadcasts are sports events except for one. The UK on the other hand has mostly soap opera's, sitcom's, TV movies, and entertainment events as their most watched broadcasts.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_watched_television_broadcasts

ktay95 said:
I heard here in Australia we had over 2mil tune into the Aus vs Chile match. Not bad for a country of 23mil who couldn't give a fuck for the sport. Also it was at 8am on a Saturday, everyone would still be in bed after getting wasted the night before 😁

Its alright in relation to Australia's size, but compared to the European countries, Australians watch much less TV. I'm not sure why. Canada's TV viewing habbits are even lower than Australia.