By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

ArchangelMadzz said:
poklane said:

I just wish FIFA would completely ban private investments unless it's to save a club from bankruptcy. I just don't see what a cap on a transfer fee would accomplish, they'd just spend it on salaries instead and/or use it to buy extra players.

Also, we need a maximum amount of players you can have and a maximum of players you can loan out at once. Look at what a club like Chelsea does, they simply hoard young talent, loan them out a few years hoping they'll do good and then sell them for a profit. There's 0 intention to have these players make the 1st team, they're just flipping them to fund their 1st team transfers. Chelsea have over 20 players loaned out currently and I'm sure that numbers will rise with the transfer window still being open for almost a month.

On that note every first team squad should have at least 5 academy players (no idea what the requirement is now) but if there are at least 5 first team slots for graduates they will be more motivated and the less money spent on transfers could mean more money gone into the academy as they will want to make great players that will be in the squad. 

Also need to change what classifies as an academy player then. Right now in England a player classifies as a homegrown player if he's spend 3 years in England before the age of 21. This means English clubs can sign 16, 17 and 18 year old talents from other countries and they'd classify as homegrown players. They should change it to being before the age of 18, that way the player would have to join the club at age 15 or younger.

Around the Network
poklane said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

On that note every first team squad should have at least 5 academy players (no idea what the requirement is now) but if there are at least 5 first team slots for graduates they will be more motivated and the less money spent on transfers could mean more money gone into the academy as they will want to make great players that will be in the squad. 

Also need to change what classifies as an academy player then. Right now in England a player classifies as a homegrown player if he's spend 3 years in England before the age of 21. This means English clubs can sign 16, 17 and 18 year old talents from other countries and they'd classify as homegrown players. They should change it to being before the age of 18, that way the player would have to join the club at age 15 or younger.

Most definitely agree with you there. 

It's really difficult because a lot of academy players feel like there isn't a path to the first team in some of their clubs. If you're an attacking player at Man City's academy you're fucked. How are you going to displace, Sergio Aguero, Gabriel Jesus, Kevin De Bruyne, Leroy Sane, David Silva, Bernardo Silva and Raheem Sterling. There's nooo way that's happening. It's really sad to see. 

Look at Monaco to see what young players can do when given a chance, if only we could do that in the Premier League, it's a big reason why England are so bad on the international stage. That, and coaching. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Gee I wonder if Bayern Munich and Juventus will be champions again.

RolStoppable said:

It couldn't have been any other way. Austria's women advanced to the semi finals after a boring 0-0 that was decided 5-3 in the penalty shootout. Now they'll face Denmark who eliminated Germany. The other two teams left are the Netherlands and England.

Austria's men haven't won a match at a big tournament since 1990. Sigh...

Was that when they beat the USA?

I don't think Austria will ever reach the level of the 1930's Wunderteam.

Soooo Neymar is gone...

Around the Network

https://twitter.com/JOE_co_uk/status/892694669276192768/video/1

This is brilliant.

Barozi said:
Soooo Neymar is gone...

It's not official yet.

Yet. 

Looks like La Liga might block Neymar's transfer

^ Ha.... well durr.

They just have to sell a player or 2 and it's within it again. Fair play is stupid anyway, it keeps the rich rich.

Hmm, pie.

Yikes

I'm all for commemorating Nazi crimes but I don't think a huge banner with a child getting a gun put to his head is the best idea. Probably gonna be quite a punishment from UEFA.