By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

RolStoppable said:
A mod should ban NiKKoM for the thread title. Nothing can ever be worse than the Greek title campaign.

i did like it,  it made ajax pick up a horrible striker

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
France failed to score when Portugal had a hampered Ronaldo and again when Portugal had to reorganize their tactic after Ronaldo went out for good. France gave Portugal the time to get secure during regulation and ultimately got overpowered in overtime where Portugal was the better team.

Portugal may have become champion with four draws and three wins (or six draws and one win if you choose to behave like a jerk), but all of their opponents in the group stage got extremely lucky. As for Portugal's road to the final, you can talk about luck all you want, but it's one thing to have such luck and a whole nother thing to make use of that luck. Other teams (like Croatia and Belgium) failed to capitalize.

I don't like Portugal (actually dislike them for repeatedly eliminating the Netherlands and England), but them winning their first title... it doesn't feel undeserved. It's not like today's alternative (France) set the world on fire with late wins against Romania and Albania, a draw against Switzerland, a rocky comeback win versus Ireland, one hell of a day against Iceland (four goals on five attempts in the first half) and a good dose of luck against Germany. As for all other teams of this tournament... there wasn't any that played attractive or even good football on a consistent basis.

Portugal can have this one. Congratulations!

Brilliant analysis.

Now that you list them, France' opponents apart from Germany look laughably weak on paper.

I like that Portugal beated Croatia and Poland, two amazing teams that I really respect.

Yes! This is great! Really didn't want France to win.

kirby007 said:
RolStoppable said:
A mod should ban NiKKoM for the thread title. Nothing can ever be worse than the Greek title campaign.

i did like it,  it made ajax pick up a horrible striker

What do you mean? Ajax bought a Greek player after Euro 2004?

okr said:
Portugal has finally won an international title (not counting youth teams). Until today they were the only big football nation without a big title. These times are over. Congrats to the whole country. It was a long wait.

Message from Germany to France: Now you know how horrible it feels when you dominate a game but don't score.

I'm glad this terrible tournament is over. Only Iceland and today's result made me smile, the rest was forgettable.

Portugal      *** the amazing and worthy champions of EURO 2016 and best team in the world ***
Germany
Brazil
Spain
Italy
France
Argentina
Holland
England

These must be your "Big football nations", correct? Nine nations. Leaving out Poland, Chile and Croatia I suppose.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Anfebious said:

Why not? We lost 14 of those, it's not like we aren't used to it.

That's exactly why XD

Making fun of myself never gets old!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

CGI-Quality said:
Slimebeast said:

- Spam

Bro - c'mon...

Ahhhh.. welcome to the football thread CGI-Quality!

Did you watch any of the games?

Slimebeast said:
okr said:
Portugal has finally won an international title (not counting youth teams). Until today they were the only big football nation without a big title. These times are over. Congrats to the whole country. It was a long wait.

Message from Germany to France: Now you know how horrible it feels when you dominate a game but don't score.

I'm glad this terrible tournament is over. Only Iceland and today's result made me smile, the rest was forgettable.

Portugal      *** the amazing and worthy champions of EURO 2016 and best team in the world ***
Germany
Brazil
Spain
Italy
France
Argentina
Holland
England

These must be your "Big football nations", correct? Nine nations. Leaving out Poland, Chile and Croatia I suppose.

Uruguay, 2 world Cups and 15 copa América 

pastro243 said:
Slimebeast said:

Germany
Brazil
Spain
Italy
France
Argentina
Holland
England

Uruguay, 2 world Cups and 15 copa América 

If he is adding Portugal to that list then Chile should be in there too! 

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

CGI-Quality said:
Slimebeast said:

Ahhhh.. welcome to the football thread CGI-Quality!

Did you watch any of the games?

Caught pieces, not all. 

As for the post, it doesn't bother me too much, it's just..... a lot. ;P

Do you mean my copy-paste celebration post lol?

Sorry about that. But don't worry, I think I won't have to post stuff like that very often. The Euros are only every fourth year.

What's your favorite sport to watch on TV?