By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft Invites NeoGAF Admins to Attend E3 as Their Guests: Offer Gets Declined Due to Neutrality

ately there has been some discussion within the community because the admins of the legendary gaming forum NeoGAF were refused badges for E3 because they aren’t considered an “active media outlet with ongoing coverage of the Interactive Entertainment Industry”. This has caused quiite a stir, due to NeoGAF’s relevance, especially considering that it’s definitely seen as a media outlet of sorts by many, and as a good source of news.

Xbox Live Director of Programming Larry Hryb decided to try and rectify the situation, offering a place at the show as Microsoft’s guests:

Ok, let’s fix this. I’ll get you invited to the Microsoft Press Briefing and I’ll set you up to attend the E3 Expo as a guest of Microsoft. There will be no strings attached and no expectations of coverage…just to be fair : )

PM me if you are interested.

It was definitely a nice gesture and not many would turn down that kind of offer, but admin Evilore indeed refused:

Appreciate the offer, Larry. Feels like it would run contrary to our neutrality principles to fly in under the Microsoft banner, though.

Hryb took the refusal in stride, stating that the offer remains open:

No problem. If you change your mind, you know how to find me.

It’s quite praiseworthy to see NeoGAF’s admins put their neutrality ahead of their participation to gaming’s most relevant show. I wonder how many would have did the same in their shoes, instead of just jumping at the chance.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/05/23/microsoft-invites-neogaf-admins-to-attend-e3-as-their-guests-offer-gets-declined-due-to-neutrality/

Around the Network

''NeoGaf hates Microsoft, they are a bunch of Sony fanboys'' comment in 3, 2, 1.....

EDIT: I looked at the Dualshockers comments, I was too late.

My respect for both of them was raised a bit.

Hmm, both sides handled the affair very professionally, I must say.

Well I think they should have taken the offer. Its not like they actually report anything there just a forum.

Around the Network

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

They should have gone.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

If they went tons of members would go on a rampage claiming the site has MS biased, or sponsored by MS and other bullshit. Smart move by them to not create a stupid site hassle. That would probably just lead to a ton of banning. Smart move.

props to MS. When i saw they got turned down i thought to myself either sony or MS should invite them, would be great PR and good will. And props to evilore for staying neutral. to bad both ms and sony couldnt do a bipartisan invite lol gaf needs to be there

The whole thing is stupid though, if you read gaming news these days so much comes from gaf.

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

So a gaming site turned down an offer to attend an gaming event because their invite was from Microsoft? Yes i know Neo is full of Sony fans but the website as a whole is a overall gaming forum not affiliated with Sony in anyway correct?