By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to offer Wii DLC and you have to pay for some online games X_X

naznatips said:
ssj12 said:
this probably will kill off 80% of any 3rd party online games. Why make charge customers for a poor service when XBL and the PSN are better.

SSJ this is a total bullshit post.

1) Clearly, this system won't even be in 80% of games, or it would already be in Mario Kart and Brawl.  It's obviously designed for special circumsatnces.

2) We don't know what services will be offered for these games.  

3) We don't even know if this is just a system reserved for MMOs or other games with extremely complex online systems or not.  

I was meaning it as if they force it to be implemented into 3rd party games. Why would Nintendo charge customers for their own games? From what I can tell its either going to be either only MMOs... which we will only see two or three on any console anyways, or be used as the main network for third parties similar to XBL minus 1st party titles being effected. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
naznatips said:
I would guess this is was developed for the new Animal Crossing MMO as well as future MMOs as a measure of affording server maintenance without charging monthly fees.

This. And yes it sounds stupid. But MMO games are expensive and I think thee idea is to get MMO's on their console from third parties as well.

They are taking a big freaking risk here. I disagree but a one time cheap fee for a game like Animal Crossing might be alright. To pay for a WWII shooter after a free Brawl? Not going to happen.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Jandre002 said:
Man what do you think prompted them to do this? First, Reggies cocky "were gunna shit all over MS in the US" statement, now charging for online?

Nothing drives away casual gamers like pay to play.

Did you read any of our posts. Its not all games don't get pissed off. 

Wow. There's no way I'm paying for any Nintendo's Wifi services. They're just barely passable as a free service. They had better keep this restricted to MMO's.

What's everyone whining about? No one even consider that the payment you do might be just for once 100 WII points for unlimited online gaming and has no one even considered for one second that Nintendo is charging this to make the service better?
Geez, back then everyone was nagging about the XBL and look how many people are online and paying for it. I'd rather pay a one time fee for a certain game than that I have to pay per month for online features which I hardly or never use. It sound to me better this way.
Guess I'm the only who doesn't give a rats about that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Around the Network

Pay and play is for MMO like games not "normal" games like Mario Kart, then there is DLC, nothing new.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Sounds appropriate to me.

Sony is killing themselves with this free online service (just in case people thought I was just being the Wii defense force, I've consistently defended XBL).

Here's the simplest way to put it: look at the profit margins on the Xbox and Playstation brands over the last 2-3 years; they are, collectively, billions upon billions of dollars in the hole. Without doing the math fully, they're likely 4-5 billion dollars in the red combined.

In short: you may think we're paying too much for video games, but it's quite clear that we aren't paying enough. This isn't sustainable. Microsoft and Sony in particular absolutely must find new ways to bring in more money, because the current model isn't enough.

While I don't think Nintendo needs to have a subscription online service, I think it's smart to do so for long term growth.

Now, here's a prediction I think most of you will like better: I predict this move was made specifically to accomodate an Animal Crossing MMO.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Yeah maybe people should read better, before they start screaming ey?

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Hm....if this is true..how come Nintendo hasn't posted anything on their website or Wifi website about it?

http://www.nintendowifi.com/global/AboutWiFi_Wii.jsp

"Play for Free
There's no additional charge to use Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection"

Again, how is this different from PCs? Any PC gamers here? This is just like PC online gaming. Each developer decides whether or not you'll pay to play their game online. The only difference is you can pay with wiipoints, instead of paying each developer individually with a credit card.

This isn't even new. Games like Phantasy Star online, and Final Fantasy XI already did/do this.

People are freaking out over a complete non-issue.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.