By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - BioShock vs Mass Effect - the (sales) battle of Japan

BioShock and Mass Effect were released last fall in the West, and both games were critically acclaimed and easily sold over a million copies. Now, in a move to increase the library of Xbox360 games in Japan, Microsoft has opted to have both these western games fully localized for the Japanese market - a market where these games can be described as "niche games" at best.

Still, there have been a few, typical western games that haven't done horribly bad on the white Box in Japan, like Assassin's Creed and Oblivion (no doubt thanks to western students and such living there, lol). BioShock has, alledgedly, sold approximately 10.000 copies on day one - not bad for a shooter. Mass Effect has, to my knowledge, not recieved a release date yet, but my guess it will hit shelves late this spring/early summer.

So, what niche game will do best in the Japanese market? The shooter with RPG elements (BioShock), or the RPG with shooter elements (Mass Effect)? And how many copies will they each sell? 

Around the Network

Mass Effect
I think it will sell more than 100K

Mass Effect will win by a landslide for the obvious reason being an RPG.
I would say:
Mass Effect>120.000
Bioshock

Tempus fugit Nintendo manet.

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Member - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Regular - Pass 2k
Level 4 - Addicted - Pass 5k
Level 5 - Obsessed - Pass 10k
Level 6 - Old Guard - Pass 20k
Level 7 - Legend - Pass 50k
Level 8 - Demi-God - Pass 100k
Level 9 - God - Pass 250k
Level 10 - Zeus - Pass 500k

New Table:

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Rookie - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Padawan - Pass 10k
Level 4 - Sea Dog - Pass 25k
Level 5 - Captain - Pass 50k
Level 6 - Agent - Pass 100k
Level 7 - Elite - Pass 175k
Level 8 - Hero - Pass 250k
Level 9 - Legend - Pass 500k
Level 10 - Titan - Pass 1 Million

mass effect might push sales a little, if advertised properly as the epic game of 2008(for japan)

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

If someone tells Japan there is lesbian alien sex, they will buy it.

Around the Network

lol @ Dolla Dolla

remember that Oblivion sold well (for a 360 game) when it was localised in Japanese. That was already AFTER an English release as well.

Mass Effect will probably sell the most.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

we have to keep in mind those xbox owners are very westernized too. Much different than their PS3/Wii owners.

So I hope Bioshock will do better, (I think it's a more polished game), but Mass Effect will sell better for sure.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)