By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox one will catch up soon with PS4 and then outsell it in the USA

Anything is possible but I would never bet that Microsoft can come back. Sony came back on Microsoft in the last generation. How can Microsoft do the same when Sony corrected all the mistakes from the last generation? Sony did with no cross game chat, a more expensive system, one year disadvantage, and such. The best to Microsoft and the XB1 but I don't see it ever happening. I hope it is at the very least a very competitive race so that Sony and Microsoft will battle hard by making awesome games.

As for FPS, what does that have to do with it? Anyone who loves Halo will nearly automatically buy a XB1. Titanfall didn't even help the XB1 outsell the PS4. That itself is an example that its not all about the FPS genre. Most are not that naive to pick a system just for that. Its not like Battlefield, Far Cry, Call of Duty, and such are not on Sony's platform anyways. Sony has the advantage though of having a more varied library. It is more broad than what Microsoft offers and will continue because of Japan and Sony taking continued risk with new creative IPs.

Around the Network
Keegs79 said:

Anything is possible but I would never bet that Microsoft can come back. Sony came back on Microsoft in the last generation. How can Microsoft do the same when Sony corrected all the mistakes from the last generation? Sony did with no cross game chat, a more expensive system, one year disadvantage, and such. The best to Microsoft and the XB1 but I don't see it ever happening. I hope it is at the very least a very competitive race so that Sony and Microsoft will battle hard by making awesome games.

As for FPS, what does that have to do with it? Anyone who loves Halo will nearly automatically buy a XB1. Titanfall didn't even help the XB1 outsell the PS4. That itself is an example that its not all about the FPS genre. Most are not that naive to pick a system just for that. Its not like Battlefield, Far Cry, Call of Duty, and such are not on Sony's platform anyways. Sony has the advantage though of having a more varied library. It is more broad than what Microsoft offers and will continue because of Japan and Sony taking continued risk with new creative IPs.

SONY had Europe and Japan to fall back on.

Microsoft has lost all 3 major territories. That's an automatic loss.

Shadow1980 said:
TheDrill said:

I completely acknowledged that PS4 outsold X1, but I am saying that it's still early in the generation, that the gap is close, and X1 will have a price cut that will undoubtably increase sales.

Furthermore Titanfall sold a lot of units, and Halo and similar game (FPS genre) sells a lot in the USA, which means X1 may make a comeback.

I don't doubt that the XBO will get some kind of boost, but as I explained the other day there are many reasons to think that the boost will not be significant enough for it the pass the PS4 in average monthly sales, which it would need to in order to catch up with and then pass the PS4 in LTD sales. There is simply no historical precedent for a price cut (which the Kinect-less SKU technically isn't) to provide a boost in sales of the degree and duration needed for the XBO to go from barely over 115k to over what the PS4 has been doing on average. The odds of it closing the average monthly gap between itself and the PS4, much less having a comfortable enough lead to rapidly close the LTD gap, is extremely low. MS is either going to have to get the XBO below the PS4 in price (and hope Sony doesn't follow suit with a price cut of their own) or they'll have to offer a lineup of exclusives that blows everything Sony has out of the water. There's very little difference between the two systems as they share 90% of the same games and have very similar capabilities, so it's going to come down to pricing and exclusive games. The XBO could surpass the PS4 in the months that Halo 5 and (possibly) Gears come out, but it's going to need more than that for a consistently strong performance. Individual games only ever offer short-term gains, after all.

Dont forget that I am talking about the US, last generation X360 decimated the PS3 in US and in the UK.

Microsoft has a lot of money to push into X1, furthermore software wise they can potentially buy exclusives, and Halo and Gears of war is a system seller.

At the current rate, as I have said, it would take only an average perhaps 15k increase per week to catch up in the US with Sony in a few months, that is not unrealistic, and it will grow more if Sony sells less units.

TheDrill said:

Dont forget that I am talking about the US, last generation X360 decimated the PS3 in US and in the UK.

Microsoft has a lot of money to push into X1, furthermore software wise they can potentially buy exclusives, and Halo and Gears of war is a system seller.

At the current rate, as I have said, it would take only an average perhaps 15k increase per week to catch up in the US with Sony in a few months, that is not unrealistic, and it will grow more if Sony sells less units.

Before you were saying 10k per week.  Even with 15k, by the current numbers it wouldn't catch up until the 40th week.  That is not "a few months".

I don't see XB1 catching up to PS4 anytime soon. They will have to bring a ton of heavy hitters just to narrow the gap

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network

If Sony starts losing ground in the US, do you really think they are going to sit back and do nothing?  At 15k it would have to outsell them every single week non stop for 30+ weeks all the way into 2015. Thats not a few month's.  Also xbox only has Sunset overdrive coming this year , so the gap is only going to widen.

Also E3 will play a crucial role, if Sony beats them at E3 you can bet the gap will widen.

Yeah...this prediction isn't holding up all that well...

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

TheDrill said:
Shadow1980 said:
TheDrill said:

I completely acknowledged that PS4 outsold X1, but I am saying that it's still early in the generation, that the gap is close, and X1 will have a price cut that will undoubtably increase sales.

Furthermore Titanfall sold a lot of units, and Halo and similar game (FPS genre) sells a lot in the USA, which means X1 may make a comeback.

I don't doubt that the XBO will get some kind of boost, but as I explained the other day there are many reasons to think that the boost will not be significant enough for it the pass the PS4 in average monthly sales, which it would need to in order to catch up with and then pass the PS4 in LTD sales. There is simply no historical precedent for a price cut (which the Kinect-less SKU technically isn't) to provide a boost in sales of the degree and duration needed for the XBO to go from barely over 115k to over what the PS4 has been doing on average. The odds of it closing the average monthly gap between itself and the PS4, much less having a comfortable enough lead to rapidly close the LTD gap, is extremely low. MS is either going to have to get the XBO below the PS4 in price (and hope Sony doesn't follow suit with a price cut of their own) or they'll have to offer a lineup of exclusives that blows everything Sony has out of the water. There's very little difference between the two systems as they share 90% of the same games and have very similar capabilities, so it's going to come down to pricing and exclusive games. The XBO could surpass the PS4 in the months that Halo 5 and (possibly) Gears come out, but it's going to need more than that for a consistently strong performance. Individual games only ever offer short-term gains, after all.

No, Not even close.   an increase of 15k wouldnt even put it past the ps4 for the week..   it needs to average 25k MORE THAN THE PS4, every week until november, just to catch up.   

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

Sunsnet Overdrive looks like fun. I shall get that for my Xbone

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

TheDrill said:
Shadow1980 said:
TheDrill said:

Just because MS has money doesn't mean they can bribe and buy any developer they want. That would've happened years ago if that was the case as MS has always had more money than Sony. MS would've bought EA, Activision, Rockstar, etc. Stop depending on MS money to get them out of situations. You're very mislead if you think Sony is just gonna stop making exclusives themselves. Gran Turismo is as much a system seller as Halo is. Uncharted, The Last of Us, God of War, and MGS (sells more on PS) are all as much a system seller as Gears is. Your logic that only MS exclusives matter is quite baffling.