By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Where on the spectrum are you?

Where on the spectrum are you?

Left 62 43.06%

Centre 46 31.94%

Right 36 25.00%

Total:144
mornelithe said:
As far as the US is concerned, my political affiliation is irrelevant, as it's painfully obvious that whatever I think, feel, know etc... has no bearing on what an elected official will do.

Why pick out the USA? It's exactly the same situation everywhere else. People are just too blinded by their notions of patroitism/nationalism to notice, though.

Here in the UK, people are going literally bonkers over the coming elections. The day after probably won't be any different from the day before, no matter who does what in the election.

What kills me is how nobody notices this shit. Every election is the most important election ever, or the country is DOOOMED. Every election, nothing changes, except the speeches.

Around the Network

My main principle is that ALL forms of public-private partnership are immensely damaging.

I will vote solely for who promises the least of that.

SamuelRSmith said:
mornelithe said:
As far as the US is concerned, my political affiliation is irrelevant, as it's painfully obvious that whatever I think, feel, know etc... has no bearing on what an elected official will do.

Why pick out the USA? It's exactly the same situation everywhere else. People are just too blinded by their notions of patroitism/nationalism to notice, though.

Um, well, first of all, I've no problems admitting that I'm not completely up to speed with every countries political structure, so commenting on something I know little about is stupid.  I don't live there, I don't see the political discourse on a daily basis, why would I start spewing commentary about the UK, or any other country when I'm not read up on the subject?

Nothing of what I said, was influenced by patriotism/nationalism, more like apathy. 

mornelithe said:

Um, well, first of all, I've no problems admitting that I'm not completely up to speed with every countries political structure, so commenting on something I know little about is stupid.  I don't live there, I don't see the political discourse on a daily basis, why would I start spewing commentary about the UK, or any other country when I'm not read up on the subject?

Nothing of what I said, was influenced by patriotism/nationalism, more like apathy. 

I think you misread my post. I didn't say that you were being nationalistic/patriotic. I said that all countries political systems are fucked up... but the people living in them don't see it because of blind patriotism/nationalism.

For example, I sometimeson imgur, and on there I constantly see posts from Canadians / Europeans about how awesome their countries are, and then you see comments from Americans going on about how they wish America was more like these countries. The problem is that the Canadians/Europeans posting have a Stockholm Syndrome going on, and so they paint this lovely picture, when it's not the case.

The reason I made the post is because you said "As far as the US is concerned, I have no say" (paraphrased), I was just pointing out that it's not just a US problem.

SamuelRSmith said:

I think you misread my post. I didn't say that you were being nationalistic/patriotic. I said that all countries political systems are fucked up... but the people living in them don't see it because of blind patriotism/nationalism.

For example, I sometimeson imgur, and on there I constantly see posts from Canadians / Europeans about how awesome their countries are, and then you see comments from Americans going on about how they wish America was more like these countries. The problem is that the Canadians/Europeans posting have a Stockholm Syndrome going on, and so they paint this lovely picture, when it's not the case.

The reason I made the post is because you said "As far as the US is concerned, I have no say" (paraphrased), I was just pointing out that it's not just a US problem.

Gotcha, and while that may be true, as I said, I'm not 100% up to speed on every countries political structure and goings on.  I do know that this Congress is literally the most useless that the US has ever seen.   I know it's not about helping the country, I know it's completely about consolidating their power, gaining more power, and gaining more money...which is where the apathy comes from, because even though we know exactly how they'll behave, we still have 2+ term congressmen in there.  And it's both sides, not just Democrat, or Republican.

Around the Network
mornelithe said:

Gotcha, and while that may be true, as I said, I'm not 100% up to speed on every countries political structure and goings on.  I do know that this Congress is literally the most useless that the US has ever seen.   I know it's not about helping the country, I know it's completely about consolidating their power, gaining more power, and gaining more money...which is where the apathy comes from, because even though we know exactly how they'll behave, we still have 2+ term congressmen in there.  And it's both sides, not just Democrat, or Republican.

Public choice theory explains high re-electability and low Congressional ratings. Because people hate Congress, but love their own Congressman.  

When a Congressman introduces subsidies for, say, corn, everybody back home loves him, because he's going to come from an area that benefits corn subsidies, so they're going to keep electing him. However, people out side of that community hate him because he's costing them all money to pay for the corn subs.

The corn loving guys then hate the Congress for passing a bill increasing another bill that starts another unnecessary plane building program for the military, or something like that. But the Congressman who's sponsoring it gets praise in the home district, because he's bringing jobs back to their district.

Everybody hates the trough, but loves their piggy: the more he eats, the more bacon they get.

I'm a right-libertarian. I believe property rights are natural rights, and their enforcement is the responsibility of the individuals who hold property. I believe liberty is also a natural right, and people own themselves. I believe state structures are artificial and require justification that they do not have, and it becomes more apparent as we decentralize technologically and interact without barriers because of technology. I believe that all individuals are capable of obtaining power in a free, decentralized environment and can compete with centralized entities through voluntary interactions with others. If I were to be more pragmatic though, and argue from utilitarian perspective, I believe more freedom - in all areas - will maximize the utility of the parts (individuals) and the collective, but as an individualist I am only concerned about the parts and my concern for the collective derives from that.

450 nm when I'm sad, or 700+ nm otherwise...

You did mean visible spectrum, right?

progressive left-wing

Anarchist/libertarian.