By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - DS:PSP about to hit 2:1 globally...

Its probably just because I'm a numbers man, but I have been watching the figures and waiting for this one to happen.

DS currently stands at  42.21m
PSP currently stands at 21.24m (double this is 42.48m)

This will be the first time the DS has *ever* doubled the PSP global sales. I think we will see an acceleration of the DS:PSP gap from this point onwards.

Give it another week, and the magic 2:1 should be hit!

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

It was 2:1 before. Yeah maybe next week DS will sold around 42.60 but PSP will sell for sure more than 60.000 so it has more than 21.30 then somebody else will say then DS will have 2:1 next week and so on..

konnichiwa said:
It was 2:1 before. Yeah maybe next week DS will sold around 42.60 but PSP will sell for sure more than 60.000 so it has more than 21.30 then somebody else will say then DS will have 2:1 next week and so on..

It was? When? PSP sales outstripped DS sales in Europe/US when it launched - that is why it has taken so long to catch up.

Next week PSP will sell approx 30k in Japan + 40k in US (not sure about Europe). That gives it globally 21.31m.

The DS will sell 145k in US + 160k(?) in Japan. That gives it globally 42.52m.

So yes - you are probably right (not sure about Europe - if it has a big week could still be next week). Otherwise, its definitely in 2 weeks time.

(if the DS sells about 200k in Europe, and PSP does about 50k - that is enough to give the DS the lead next week).

EDIT: What this actually means is that the PSP is currently LOSING marketshare to the DS. 

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

How is this a surprise? Did anyone not see this coming, by the end of this HH gen DS will probably be 3-4 times greater install base than the PSP

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Oh, I thought it had reached 2:1 previously. It's both impressive for the DS and the PSP. Impressive for the DS, because that's simply MASSIVE sales, and impressive for the PSP to be selling half of what Nintendo's handheld is selling...the first non-Nintendo handheld to be a serious competition to Nintendo's.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

psp stole marketshare from nintendo. Nintendo used to have like 98% market share. now they lost around 33%. i though psp was not going to sell more than 10m just like other handhelds were trying to compete with nintendo and failed. Didn't think they would have a chance to break 30m.

very impressive for the fact the sales numbers are getting very high....any time you can DOUBLE 20 mill thats a straight KILLING

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

High sales, but you can't deny the fact that the PSP did cut a considerable chunk out of Nintendo's pie (although that's hard to blame Nintendo on, since there weren't any real competitors prior to Sony's portable and I think it's fair to say nobody expected Nintendo to have a portable console monopoly anyhow). I think if the DS Lite was never released Nintendo would be neck and neck with the PSP.

your mother said:
High sales, but you can't deny the fact that the PSP did cut a considerable chunk out of Nintendo's pie (although that's hard to blame Nintendo on, since there weren't any real competitors prior to Sony's portable and I think it's fair to say nobody expected Nintendo to have a portable console monopoly anyhow). I think if the DS Lite was never released Nintendo would be neck and neck with the PSP.

Yes, and that "chunk" is now going to diminish every week. Lets also consider that the PSP just *had* a price cut - I think Nintendo could cut price whenever they want (but why would they at the moment...).

As for the DS Lite - I think it was always coming. Its essentially (exactly?) the same hardware, just in a prettier /smaller case, with a nicer screen. Tech-wise its the same machine.

Still predicting in a year or two Nintendo will release the next skew of the DS - with the key feature going to be downloadable games to the device (possibly through the Wii). This is something the PSP essentially can't do, as the games are so large.

At best, the PSP had close to 50% of the "next-gen" handheld market (lets ignore the GBA for now).  Its now down to 34%. By the time the DS is obsolete, the PSP market share will probably be under 20% (approx 4:1).

(again, Im not hassling the PSP - its a good machine, with some excellent games, and is an excellent companion to the DS. Just discussing market stats/sales/predictions).

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

Just a one-off bump for this thread... shuffling of global numbers has put off the "official" 2:1 ratio for a while... but now its here, and is here to stay.

I would look forward to the "3:1", but I think this is a long way off (if ever) ;) - 30m PSP, 90m DS?

PS - in other news, Wii is now only 2m behind the 360 globally...  (9.89m vrs 7.89m). 360 should (finally) hit the 10m mark within 2 weeks.

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website