By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo response to Tomodachi gay issue... me happy :)

ClassicalSaxophonist said:
curl-6 said:

Word use does convey attitude; yours was obvious.

Empowering people to discriminate is a terrible idea, laws need to be in place to prevent inequality, not license it.

And I am neither self-loathing, (I quite like myself) media driven, (I have a journalism postgrad and am well aware of how the media works) and as for morally bankrupt, that's rather laughable; since when does favouring fairness and equality make someone morally bankrupt? Excusing discrimination and persecuting people for their orientation, THAT is morally bankrupt.

I know that you weren't having a discussion with me, but I feel the need to respond to your post. 

Let me show you paragraphs 2357-2359 from the Catechism of the Catholic Church. I should also let you know that the Catholic Church is the Church started by Jesus Christ. The Catholic Church is guided by the Holy Spirit and cannot teach error. 

"Chastity and homosexuality

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,141 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."142 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection."

Where I got the Catechism paragraphs: http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a6.htm

Why should other people have to live by the rules of your religion? 

Around the Network
forethought14 said:
ClassicalSaxophonist

It's true that marriage was practiced before the Scriptures were wrtten. However, that doesn't matter. God intended for marriage to be between one man and one woman in the beginning, long before the first book of the Old Testament was written. Just because it wasn't recorded in the Scriptures until later does not mean that it isn't true. 

First provide to me that what happened in Genesis is historically accurate, if you can't do that, and all you have is "blind faith" in that particular story, I'm afraid you aren't left with much to reason against. I'm pretty sure it doesn't say you CAN'T marry any other way. It's purely a religious idea, so you're telling me that EVERYONE, (including non-Christian religions and non-religious people) should take into account marriage according to Genesis (or whatever other verses you feel like citing)? Seems rather insensitive of you. I suppose you also follow every other idea spewed out by God as well, including those almost no one follows? 

curl-6 said:

I know that you weren't having a discussion with me, but I feel the need to respond to your post. 

Let me show you paragraphs 2357-2359 from the Catechism of the Catholic Church. I should also let you know that the Catholic Church is the Church started by Jesus Christ. The Catholic Church is guided by the Holy Spirit and cannot teach error. 

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,141 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."142 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection."

Where I got the Catechism paragraphs: http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a6.htm

Your source is a book that's been rewritten hundreds of times and has no proof of authenticity in the first place? 

LMAO.

Also, why should other people have to live by the rules of your religion? 

No need to be rude.

And the Catechism of the Catholic Church has not been rewritten hundreds of times. 

You mentioned discrimination of homosexuals, so I wanted to show you what the Church started by Jesus teaches. The Church teaches that "Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided."

That's a direct quote from paragraph 2358 in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. 

By the way, that quote does not mean that we should support homosexual acts or same-sex marriage.

Basic concert band instruments: piccolo, flute, oboe, bassoon, clarinet, bass clarinet, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone, horn, trumpet, trombone, euphonium, tuba, double bass, and percussion. 

forethought14 said:
forethought14 said:
ClassicalSaxophonist

It's true that marriage was practiced before the Scriptures were wrtten. However, that doesn't matter. God intended for marriage to be between one man and one woman in the beginning, long before the first book of the Old Testament was written. Just because it wasn't recorded in the Scriptures until later does not mean that it isn't true. 

First provide to me that what happened in Genesis is historically accurate, if you can't do that, and all you have is "blind faith" in that particular story, I'm afraid you aren't left with much to reason against. I'm pretty sure it doesn't say you CAN'T marry any other way. It's purely a religious idea, so you're telling me that EVERYONE, (including non-Christian religions and non-religious people) should take into account marriage according to Genesis (or whatever other verses you feel like citing)? Seems rather insensitive of you. I suppose you also follow every other idea spewed out by God as well, including those almost no one follows? 

The Creation narrative in Genesis is not meant to be a completely literal historical account. There is a lot of symbolism in the Creation narrative. The Catholic Church (the Church started by Jesus) is fine with an old age of the earth and is also fine with evolution (as long as it is not atheistic, obviously). However, we do indeed have first parents (Adam and Eve). 

The Catholic Church is guided by the Holy Spirit and cannot teach error. I believe everything that the Church teaches. 

God intends for marriage to be between one man and one woman. When a person comes along and says that that isn't what marriage is, of course I'm going to fight for what God intends and support what God intends. 

Basic concert band instruments: piccolo, flute, oboe, bassoon, clarinet, bass clarinet, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone, horn, trumpet, trombone, euphonium, tuba, double bass, and percussion. 

curl-6 said:

Your source is a book that's been rewritten hundreds of times and has no proof of authenticity in the first place? 

LMAO.

Also, why should other people have to live by the rules of your religion? 

No need to be rude.

And the Catechism of the Catholic Church has not been rewritten hundreds of times. 

You mentioned discrimination of homosexuals, so I wanted to show you what the Church started by Jesus teaches. The Church teaches that "Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided."

That's a direct quote from paragraph 2358 in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. 

I edited out the rudeness by the time this was posted; you caught me at a bad time.

Around the Network

The Creation narrative in Genesis is not meant to be a completely literal historical account. There is a lot of symbolism in the Creation narrative. The Catholic Church (the Church started by Jesus) is fine with an old age of the earth and is also fine with evolution (as long as it is not atheistic, obviously). However, we do indeed have first parents (Adam and Eve). 

The Catholic Church is guided by the Holy Spirit and cannot teach error. I believe everything that the Church teaches. 

God intends for marriage to be between one man and one woman. When a person comes along and says that that isn't what marriage is, of course I'm going to fight for what God intends and support what God intends. 

So you're one of those "Oh, this part in particular is "symbolic", and oh, this part is literal because reasons." type of person. It can't teach error? So can't numerous other religions according to their ideals, and some don't necessarily follow the Catholic Church's ideals and go against them, what's your point?

I don't know why you're bringing in Science into this, but while we're on the subject, you and the Catholic Church have curiously silly ideas about accepting "the age of the Earth" and "Evolution". Bringing in Religious texts into any forms of Science is NOT real Science anymore, this "Evolution" you believe in, completely misrepresents what Science is about. There is no solid, scientific, experimental evidence to support the idea that our first "parents" were Adam and Eve, all of that is based on the Creation story that apparently has symbolism. This is not what the Scientific Community follows with regards to Evolution nor is it something that holds merit in real Science. Claiming to be equal with real Science is silly.

You're defeinding what God intends marriage to be definied as, under the Church and marriage under the Holy Spirit, but there are more non - Christian pepole in the world than there are Christian people, why should they have to follow the same religious doctrines you follow? Is your faith somehow so overwhelming that everyone else must also follow such ideals and it reigns supreme over other religions out there? Because mind you, the developers are Japanese, the majority of them are non-religious people (polls show that religion for the most part is NOT an important part of their lives) they don't care about your religious ideas when making games like Tomodachi Life.

forethought14 said:

So you're one of those "Oh, this part in particular is "symbolic", and oh, this part is literal because reasons." type of person. It can't teach error? So can't numerous other religions according to their ideals, and some don't necessarily follow the Catholic Church's ideals and go against them, what's your point?

I don't know why you're bringing in Science into this, but while we're on the subject, you and the Catholic Church have curiously silly ideas about accepting "the age of the Earth" and "Evolution". Bringing in Religious texts into any forms of Science is NOT real Science anymore, this "Evolution" you believe in, completely misrepresents what Science is about. There is no solid, scientific, experimental evidence to support the idea that our first "parents" were Adam and Eve, all of that is based on the Creation story that apparently has symbolism. This is not what the Scientific Community follows with regards to Evolution nor is it something that holds merit in real Science. Claiming to be equal with real Science is silly.

You're defeinding what God intends marriage to be definied as, under the Church and marriage under the Holy Spirit, but there are more non - Christian pepole in the world than there are Christian people, why should they have to follow the same religious doctrines you follow? Is your faith somehow so overwhelming that everyone else must also follow such ideals and it reigns supreme over other religions out there? Because mind you, the developers are Japanese, the majority of them are non-religious people (polls show that religion for the most part is NOT an important part of their lives) they don't care about your religious ideas when making games like Tomodachi Life.

The Bible is made up of different styles. Not all of it was written as a completely literal history book. St. Augustine, in the 300's AD, believed that the Creation narrative wasn't completely literal history. This was long before modern science. 

And are you aware of all the great Catholic scientists throughout history? Gregar Mendel, Louis Pastuer, Blaise Pascal, Nicolaus Copernicus, Jean-Baptiste Lamarck, Georges Lemaitre (he came up with the Big Bang theory and was a Catholic priest), and many, many, many more. You must not know much about the Church's view on science. If you did, you wouldn't have written what you did. Please look into it. 

Here's a quote from an article on Catholic Answers:

"Concerning human evolution, the Church has a more definite teaching. It allows for the possibility that man’s body developed from previous biological forms, under God’s guidance, but it insists on the special creation of his soul. Pope Pius XII declared that "the teaching authority of the Church does not forbid that, in conformity with the present state of human sciences and sacred theology, research and discussions . . . take place with regard to the doctrine of evolution, in as far as it inquires into the origin of the human body as coming from pre-existent and living matter—[but] the Catholic faith obliges us to hold that souls are immediately created by God" (Pius XII, Humani Generis 36). So whether the human body was specially created or developed, we are required to hold as a matter of Catholic faith that the human soul is specially created; it did not evolve, and it is not inherited from our parents, as our bodies are. 

While the Church permits belief in either special creation or developmental creation on certain questions, it in no circumstances permits belief in atheistic evolution."

Here's the full article: http://www.catholic.com/tracts/adam-eve-and-evolution

And here's paragraphs 159 and 283 from the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

"159 Faith and science: "Though faith is above reason, there can never be any real discrepancy between faith and reason. Since the same God who reveals mysteries and infuses faith has bestowed the light of reason on the human mind, God cannot deny himself, nor can truth ever contradict truth."37 "Consequently, methodical research in all branches of knowledge, provided it is carried out in a truly scientific manner and does not override moral laws, can never conflict with the faith, because the things of the world and the things of faith derive from the same God. The humble and persevering investigator of the secrets of nature is being led, as it were, by the hand of God in spite of himself, for it is God, the conserver of all things, who made them what they are."38"

"283 The question about the origins of the world and of man has been the object of many scientific studies which have splendidly enriched our knowledge of the age and dimensions of the cosmos, the development of life-forms and the appearance of man. These discoveries invite us to even greater admiration for the greatness of the Creator, prompting us to give him thanks for all his works and for the understanding and wisdom he gives to scholars and researchers. With Solomon they can say: "It is he who gave me unerring knowledge of what exists, to know the structure of the world and the activity of the elements. . . for wisdom, the fashioner of all things, taught me."121"

Where I got the paragraphs: 

159: http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p1s1c3a1.htm

283: http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p1s2c1p4.htm

No need to be rude.

By the way, that quote does not mean that we should support homosexual acts or same-sex marriage.

You didn't answer my question though; why should other people be forced to live their lives by the rules of your religion?

My government defines marriage.  I don't want the marriage that comes from your God but the secular kind defined by my government.  At least in the US Church and State are separate entities.  This is specifically so that I do not have to live my life by any particular God's rules.  If you don't like that take your fight and your support to some nation that will let your God and his Chuch dictate secular law.  

Double Post