By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Activision spending $500 million on Destiny

isn't destiny just like planetside 2 like an mmo shooter,sounds like a big gamble to release every 2 years before we have even bought destiny,maybe some of that 500m is to pay sony not to release planetside for a while

I smell like the dark forest of Dwemereth in the morning mist                                                   fanboy til i'm bankrupt

Around the Network

I will lol hard and bump this when this game does 1 billion in sales in under a week.

Breaking even is not part of this one game plan. This is the start. They expect to start making money in the next game and lots of money over the next six.

well they got the money to take the risk, their COD cash cow is still milking.

Well...most Halo fans are going to come over/try it out. So that's a confirmed 5 mil+ easy.

JAK N BLAK From The Youtubez!
►Watch Dogs Multiplayer Gameplay! WatchDogs Online: Multiplayer Gameplay 'Online Hacking' Gamemode FULLY EXPLAINED! (WatchDogs Online Multiplayer Gameplay)◄

LINK TO VID - WATCH HERE - http://youtu.be/4Hr9sJf7N7I

Around the Network

I think it's a very safe bet that they'll profit from the Destiny franchise this gen. The more the invest up front, the more they'll take from it down the road.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

"intends to spend $500 million developing and promoting"

Key words being "intends" and "promoting". People are really doing a lot of drama over this PR speech...

BeElite said:
I will lol hard and bump this when this game does 1 billion in sales in under a week.

Since you can't I'm gonna necro bump the shit out of this!

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

Not really a risky bet.

Mark my words, they will make this back within a year and then onward double and triple that amount.

Well done, you ever underestimated it

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

tbone51 said:
vivster said:
tbone51 said:
vivster said:

Not really a risky bet.

Mark my words, they will make this back within a year and then onward double and triple that amount.

As Fatslob showed us the graph above, it needs to sell 18.5mil to break even (not counting DLC), It kinda is risky, it'll be huge no doubt, but double? triple? (meaning 1bil or 1.5bil) would mean 37mil+ for double, not happening

Because we all know the only revenue stream a game can have is its initial sales price. DLC, microtransactions and other marketing and licensing deals are nonexistent.

Ummm... Ok? I said not including DLC, add $10 to each game sold ($37) which is a huge estimate cuz not ever game sold will make money on dlc/etc, they still need to sell alot. About 14mil copies to break even, including DLC, so doubling maybe cuz it'll need to sell 28mil+ (this includes dlc), but tripling? No chance at all. They wont make that much. Just look at the math

Long live math!

i think it's a safe bet to say that they will sell about 8m the first week. And they already got DLC in the pipe for at least $35 within the first months. And Since DLC has a giant profit margin compared to the initial game, the DLC profit will easily overtake the initial game profit.

If we assume that the 500m figure includes maintenance(server, marketing, DLC development), let's say, over the next 3 years then we're going to see that profit tripling within the first 3 years. We have not even reached the first Chrismas yet.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.