By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Activision spending $500 million on Destiny

tbone51 said:
vivster said:

Not really a risky bet.

Mark my words, they will make this back within a year and then onward double and triple that amount.

As Fatslob showed us the graph above, it needs to sell 18.5mil to break even (not counting DLC), It kinda is risky, it'll be huge no doubt, but double? triple? (meaning 1bil or 1.5bil) would mean 37mil+ for double, not happening

they are making an invenstment in a franchise, this marketing push is for this installment and the next ones. as well, Destiny doesnt have to cover up the entire marketing budget with the first installment. 

Around the Network
PDF said:
Haven't they said Destiny is a ten year experience. I imagine they are going to create a MMO like experience. Pushing the same game, with expansions like Guild Wars.

they are probably gonna release sequels to it instead of expansions. they are just commiting to the franchise for 10 years or so. 

bananaking21 said:
PDF said:
Haven't they said Destiny is a ten year experience. I imagine they are going to create a MMO like experience. Pushing the same game, with expansions like Guild Wars.

they are probably gonna release sequels to it instead of expansions. they are just commiting to the franchise for 10 years or so. 

the contract was leaked ages ago... every 2 years a new game (4 titles) and inbetween the years an expansion pack
http://destiny.wikia.com/wiki/Bungie-Activision_Contract

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

bananaking21 said:

I don't think they will. I think they'll add planets with new story lines and missions.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
bananaking21 said:

I don't think they will. I think they'll add planets with new story lines and missions.

Read post above you

Around the Network
jlmurph2 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Read post above you

Looks like I stand corrected. I find this a really odd strategy. If the engine is robust and it's designed with expansion in mind, why release a new game every two years when you already have the perfect set up to expand the series by adding planets?

The PS5 Exists. 

No big risk.
If u spend enough on marketing and understand the market u can easily estimate sales.

Activision is betting on the franchise and not just one game. If all goes according to plan, they'll have another cash cow in their hands. Once you build up a franchise to the level COD, unless it's a fad type game like guitar hero, it'll easily make a few billion in its lifetime.

GribbleGrunger said:

Looks like I stand corrected. I find this a really odd strategy. If the engine is robust and it's designed with expansion in mind, why release a new game every two years when you already have the perfect set up to expand the series by adding planets?

easy, new game = more hype = more sales = more money. 

also, instead of releasing an expansion at 30$, they release a new game at 60$. 

It's a long term investment:O

Once you entered you won't be the same anymore. A blog about life.

http://seetheworlddifferent.wordpress.com/