By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Activision spending $500 million on Destiny

Here comes a new challenger for the economical flop of the year title!

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
fools.. its pretty easy: 500 million buys you alot of 10/10 reviews > hype through the roof > sales through the roof > $$$

You don't need that much for a positive review from IGN, just put Jessica Chobot in the game and the GOTY awards will fly.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Considering extra revenues from growing digital sales, as well as the sale of DLC and other content, this won't be an issue.

Wow. Hope they recoup it.

I don't think they plan on doing it with one release though. Also, people estimating how many copies of the game they need to sell, aren't taking into account DLC, microtransactions, and other things. For example, all this Playstation marketing and stuff, think Activision did that out of the bottom of their hearts?

It will do easily 20 million across all platforms. This game is suppose to have CoD numbers.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:

Ummm... Ok? I said not including DLC, add $10 to each game sold ($37) which is a huge estimate cuz not ever game sold will make money on dlc/etc, they still need to sell alot. About 14mil copies to break even, including DLC, so doubling maybe cuz it'll need to sell 28mil+ (this includes dlc), but tripling? No chance at all. They wont make that much. Just look at the math

I looked at the math and other than you I do not exclude revenue opportunities. The initial price of the game will maybe account for 50% of the complete revenue if I'm generous. Destiny has multiple years to live(maybe the whole generation) and with continued DLC and microtransactions there is so much to gain.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I highly doubt it's anywhere near that much, half a billion dollars? They'll be lucky to make a profit.

If the game cost 60 million to make (and this is a high estimate) an advertising campaign of 400 million? No. Heck even if the game cost 100 million, the rest on everything else is still too much.

Hmm, pie.

I think 100m budget for marketing would have the same effect as 500m.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

btw.. 500 million dollar and no PC version... >_>

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

small44 said:
I think 100m budget for marketing would have the same effect as 500m.

Okay. But they aren't spending 500m on marketing.