By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U rides on Mario Kart

ps4tw said:
curl-6 said:
ps4tw said:

What was it's competition? My point proven.

You simply can't sell 9.45m without broad appeal. As for competition, just look up 3DS top sellers, heavy hitters abound; Pokemon, 2D and 3D Mario, Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing, Dragon Quest, KIngdom Hearts, Fire Emblem...

The idea that people only buy cos they're "no competition" is laughable. If they didn't want it, they wouldn't buy it by the millions.

Yes you can.
How are you comparing Mario Kart to Pokemon? There is no racing equivalent on the DS, or the Wii etc. They want a racing game, and there is only one option. If Mario Kart was so loved, why did the GC and N64 tank? The only idea that is laughable is thinking Animal Crossing is competition to Mario kart!

Do you have any examples of games selling >9.45m without broad appeal?

Around the Network

I think it is very hard to predict the success of a console. As consumers, we have such limited information that it is quite laughable that we even try. We have no idea of Nintendo future plans for the Wii U nor can we claim that we have a clear picture of what people want. The only thing we can do now is make vague guesses, but that's the extent of it.

With the announcement of the MK8 Wii U bundles, seems like the console sales are gonna be low this month until MK8 is released. Here's hoping for a huge dramatic boost! Especially since summer is almost here.

Einsam_Delphin said:
ps4tw said:

Nope I doubt it will because the only people who care about Mario Kart are the ones who already care about Pikmin/Donkey Kong/3D Mario etc so they will already have the console. That ultimately is Nintendo's failing- to appeal to a large audience rather than a small, but dedicated, group. 

So you believe Mario Kart 8 wont push any hardware at all then? Are you sure you wanna say that?

It'll be a small temporary bump, like we saw with other games, but soon enough it'll be back down to the 40k mark. 

mysteryman said:
ps4tw said:

Yes you can. How are you comparing Mario Kart to Pokemon? There is no racing equivalent on the DS, or the Wii etc. They want a racing game, and there is only one option. If Mario Kart was so loved, why did the GC and N64 tank? The only idea that is laughable is thinking Animal Crossing is competition to Mario kart!

Do you have any examples of games selling >9.45m without broad appeal?

Yeah, smash bros on the GC. Console barely sold, but that game did. Nintendo fans eat up all the franchises that Nintendo kick out, but are a dying breed. That combined with a system that is starving for releases, you'll find that those who buy Mario Kart will also have 3D Mario, DK, pikmin etc because there really isn't competition. 

curl-6 said:
ps4tw said:

Who cares how much it sells when the console its selling on is dead...Anyway stop reframing the argument. The title of the thread is "Wii U rides on Mario Kart". The point is can Mario Kart can save the Wii U? The average person doesn't care for it, so it won't save anything. 

Referring to a system that has yet to recieve its biggest system sellers or reach mass market price as "dead" robs you of any trace of credibility you may have had.

Actually no, wait, your delusion that Mario Kart isn't a widely loved and highly popular franchise already did that.

You mean recieve any system sellers? When I'm proven right I'll expect an apology ;) Keep dreaming, I'll keep my feet firmly on the ground. If Mario Kart was widely loved, explain the GC. Oh snap. 

Symbios63 said:
ps4tw said:

Nope I doubt it will because the only people who care about Mario Kart are the ones who already care about Pikmin/Donkey Kong/3D Mario etc so they will already have the console. That ultimately is Nintendo's failing- to appeal to a large audience rather than a small, but dedicated, group. 

Pikmin/Donkey Kong/3D Mario are game I am interested in. Still, they didn't make me buy the system. Mario Kart 8 + free game definitely will.

You can argue that I may be the only one but the hardware bump we will see at Mario Kart release date will say otherwise...

Thanks for proving my point that Nintendo fans buy the franchises. The problem is Nintendo are not drawing in any new gamers. The new gamer couldn't care less about Mario or DK and the utter failure of karting games on the big 2 show this. 

Around the Network
ps4tw said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
ps4tw said:

So you believe Mario Kart 8 wont push any hardware at all then? Are you sure you wanna say that?

It'll be a small temporary bump, like we saw with other games, but soon enough it'll be back down to the 40k mark. 

I'm not so sure about htat, 40K seems too low. MarioKart was the biggest selling game last generation. While Nintendo might not maintain a 100-200K weekly bump, I believe that MK8 should help them maintain at least a 70K plus weekly sale range until the holiday season picks up considering the Wii U is selling 30K weekly and the only title relased in the past 5 months is DK (which obviously is nowhere near the scale of MK).

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

ps4tw said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
ps4tw said:

That's what I thought you ment!

Nirvana_Nut85 said:
ps4tw said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
ps4tw said:

I'm not so sure about htat, 40K seems too low. MarioKart was the biggest selling game last generation. While Nintendo might not maintain a 100-200K weekly bump, I believe that MK8 should help them maintain at least a 70K plus weekly sale range until the holiday season picks up considering the Wii U is selling 30K weekly and the only title relased in the past 5 months is DK (which obviously is nowhere near the scale of MK).

The Wii was also the biggest selling console of last generation...Casual gamers do not give a flying fuck that another Mario kart is coming out. No chance will it hit 70k weekly unless something crazy happens to Japanese sales. The majority of Nintendo fans have a Wii U already, so all the games from here on in are just picking up the stragglers. 

I really don't think people are taking the wii online being discontinued wii u will see a huge bump

KoopaKid said:

I really don't think people are taking the wii online being discontinued wii u will see a huge bump

But according to non-existent proof and facts, people's Wi's have been collecting dust for years, so they wouldn't even care about losing online!